Afghanistan - greatest foreign policy disaster of a generation?

Started by Sampanviking, August 13, 2021, 11:29:24 AM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Quote from: papasmurf on August 15, 2021, 03:57:09 PM
Conflicting report:-

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/rest-of-the-world-news/taliban-captures-americas-prized-bargam-airbase-immediately-frees-jailed-isis-fighters.html

If you read the report (as I did earlier) it states that the Prison contained Taliban and ISIS prisoners and that the Taliban released "their" prisoners. The release of ISIS prisoners by the Taliban is not mentioned in the article outside of the (clearly misleading) title. Given that Republic World seems to be an Indian website, this should come as no surprise.

Barry

There are reports that Afghan personnel who were photographed collaborating with British troops have been executed outside their homes in Afghanistan. I have nothing to verify this bad news, but it sounds credible.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on August 15, 2021, 03:08:56 PM
Oh blimey Thomas I thought I'd made it plain enough I wasn't being totally serious about nuking them just illustrating that conventional war wont defeat them and the only other possible solution (nuking) isn't an option.
It is all irrespective now anyway, the puppet leader has left the building.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on August 15, 2021, 08:56:47 AM
Not sure i agree with you here cromwell. I thought the taliban were a sort of militarised religious movement , so not only are you fighting a group of people , you are fighting an ideology.

I dont think there is a military solution to defeating them , and certainly nuking the place would put the uk and usa in dangerous territory , with four nuclear powers in the afghanistan region , for whom the devastation of a nuclear strike in afghanistan would have extreme consequences which would no doubt force retaliation to the west and severe casualties in the process , all for a bit of rock and sand and religous nutjobs.

The bottom line america and its appendage the uk have made a can't of themselves as sampan says. All that time money and more importantly lives wasted.
Oh blimey Thomas I thought I'd made it plain enough I wasn't being totally serious about nuking them just illustrating that conventional war wont defeat them and the only other possible solution (nuking) isn't an option.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 15, 2021, 02:15:43 PM

One area where there is fighting though is at the Bagram Airbase, it appears that a large number of ISIS prisoners were being kept in the Prison on the Airbase and that these have now broken out and seized weapons. Taliban fighters are apparently fighting them as we speak, as they take control of the Airbase.

I can find no reporting of that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sampanviking

Looks like I called this one right. It is clearly a popular uprising against a puppet government, with barely a shot being fired in most instances and Government forces simply swapping flags.

One area where there is fighting though is at the Bagram Airbase, it appears that a large number of ISIS prisoners were being kept in the Prison on the Airbase and that these have now broken out and seized weapons. Taliban fighters are apparently fighting them as we speak, as they take control of the Airbase.

Sheepy

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 15, 2021, 01:15:47 PM
The same bloke says they await a peacefuk transition to taliban rule.
Yeah. Right. The shootings wonlt start until the day after. But I knew that email asking for a bitcoin investment in an Afghan Pig Farm wasa bit of a fraud ...

That reminded me of a funny story, a Jewish mate of mine used to love a bacon sandwich, so every time he was eating one, I would say ain't that against your religion, whatever day it was he would say not on Tuesdays, etc.
The worlds a funny old place professor, just because your religion says you don't like something that don't mean it is necessarily true. 

Sampanviking

Quote from: patman post on August 15, 2021, 01:27:47 PM
I guess you're struck with the affliction of several here in not understanding what's posted — where did I suggest India controlled a border with Afghanistan?

The fact it cannot control the border of disputed Kashmir with Afghanistan, is regarded by India as a problem...

...and not about to change and so utterly irrelevant to the subject in hand..

patman post

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 14, 2021, 05:28:28 PM
India does not control any border with Afghanistan.
I guess you're struck with the affliction of several here in not understanding what's posted — where did I suggest India controlled a border with Afghanistan?

The fact it cannot control the border of disputed Kashmir with Afghanistan, is regarded by India as a problem...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on August 15, 2021, 11:04:53 AM
No shit Sherlock
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/afghanistan-news-live-taliban-cannot-be-stopped-by-uk-as-british-ambassador-to-be-airlifted-from-kabul/ar-AANkPsH?ocid=msedgntp
A Taliban spokesman has said the militant group does not intend to "take revenge on anyone" and assures those who have served for the government and military will be "forgiven".

"No one's life, property and dignity will be harmed and the lives of the citizens of Kabul will not be at risk," the insurgents said.

Well, let's hope for your sakes you keep your word or you will be facing the real forces of democracy.
The same bloke says they await a peacefuk transition to taliban rule.
Yeah. Right. The shootings wonlt start until the day after. But I knew that email asking for a bitcoin investment in an Afghan Pig Farm wasa bit of a fraud ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

No shit Sherlock
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/afghanistan-news-live-taliban-cannot-be-stopped-by-uk-as-british-ambassador-to-be-airlifted-from-kabul/ar-AANkPsH?ocid=msedgntp
A Taliban spokesman has said the militant group does not intend to "take revenge on anyone" and assures those who have served for the government and military will be "forgiven".

"No one's life, property and dignity will be harmed and the lives of the citizens of Kabul will not be at risk," the insurgents said.

Well, let's hope for your sakes you keep your word or you will be facing the real forces of democracy.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: Thomas on August 15, 2021, 08:56:47 AMThe bottom line america and its appendage the uk have made a can't of themselves as sampan says. All that time money and more importantly lives wasted.
Have you seen this, Thomas?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1426225950312837122
Joe Biden is certain the Taliban will not take over.
Today they are shredding and burning documents at the US embassy in Kabul, while helicopters evacuate the staff from the rooftops.

The Americans invaded this country and killed thousands of people, military and civilians, now they are whining about the rights of women about to be trampled by the religious zealots who have never gone away. They should not have started the war in the first place. All those wasted lives.
† The end is nigh †