A man with a mission and leaflets

Started by Barry, September 07, 2021, 04:36:11 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

If you have 'rule by referendum' then who decides what issues should be put to a referendum?
Would we have a referendum on what issues we should have a referendum on? If there was a list of 5 subjects for referendum and you had to choose one, then if the subject with the most votes wins, almost certainly, more people would have voted for one of the other 4 subjects.
And how long would the result of a referendum be valid for? (If you say 'indefinite', then the 1975 Common Market referendum should have been closure!)
What safeguards would there be against a major decision being taken on the basis of a marginal result on one day?
What if there are 2 referendums on slightly different (but related) topics that contradict each other. E.g. do you want taxation reduced? (majority for 'yes') and do you want public spending reduced? (majority for 'no').
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 07, 2021, 08:19:57 PM
Looks like a manifesto that would be pretty popular which probably means if it threatened to get any number of votes  some prick from a Westminster party would nick it ,get elected and feck us over . 

???
LOL nothing new there then. In fact they have made a habit of it for centuries.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Looks like a manifesto that would be pretty popular which probably means if it threatened to get any number of votes  some prick from a Westminster party would nick it ,get elected and feck us over . 

???

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 07, 2021, 06:42:08 PM
Well the world has gone mad when people are substituting violence for peaceful protest,the democracies are in some sort of crisis.

Whilst I think we need political reform in this country It needs careful consideration.

One of my friends is a Libyan who fled Libya after the fall of Gaddafi. She said that while the latter was a thuggish nut, she knew what to say, who to avoid and which palms to grease. In short, it was a lousy system, but she knew her way round it. But the current lot are an unknown quantity.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 06:27:38 PM
Well, Borky, there was a bit of confusion, on the one hand it said zero politicians, on the other it said true PR.
Wasn't quite sure how that worked. If you look at the paper it shows the Harmony Movement are strong on ideas but a bit short on detail.

I admired his courage standing in the street offering leaflets and a chat. His opening line was "The world has gone mad, we need to do something".
Well the world has gone mad when people are substituting violence for peaceful protest,the democracies are in some sort of crisis.

Whilst I think we need political reform in this country It needs careful consideration.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Well, Borky, there was a bit of confusion, on the one hand it said zero politicians, on the other it said true PR.
Wasn't quite sure how that worked. If you look at the paper it shows the Harmony Movement are strong on ideas but a bit short on detail.

I admired his courage standing in the street offering leaflets and a chat. His opening line was "The world has gone mad, we need to do something".
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 04:36:11 PM
There was a lone guy in town today on the main thoroughfare with a tray of leaflets and a notice on him.
"Freedom?"
I passed him by on my way into town but had to say I admired his courage standing in the street.

On the way back I took a couple of his leaflets. They are interesting, to say the least.
Calls for an end to the current party system. Wants rule by referendum, initiated by the people, replacing central government. Debate to be on the streets an media.
Politicians out of a job.

Some proposals look unworkable, but who knows. This is one man who wants change.

There were 4 pages, here is one of them. The "Harmony Movement" is mentioned.
If you open the image in a new tab it is easier to read, if you want to, that is.

Sounds good.

That said, the Swiss are big on referendums, but I doubt that they are short on politicians.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2021, 04:47:59 PM
Given how stupid far too many of the current electorate have proven to be, that would end in disaster.
Coming from you, that is fecking hilarious, the electorate didn't break the system, the Westminster party did and they have been promising to fix it for generations, which will never happen, that if you vote for us malarky is wearing thin.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 04:36:11 PM
Wants rule by referendum,

Given how stupid far too many of the current electorate have proven to be, that would end in disaster.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

There was a lone guy in town today on the main thoroughfare with a tray of leaflets and a notice on him.
"Freedom?"
I passed him by on my way into town but had to say I admired his courage standing in the street.

On the way back I took a couple of his leaflets. They are interesting, to say the least.
Calls for an end to the current party system. Wants rule by referendum, initiated by the people, replacing central government. Debate to be on the streets an media.
Politicians out of a job.

Some proposals look unworkable, but who knows. This is one man who wants change.

There were 4 pages, here is one of them. The "Harmony Movement" is mentioned.
If you open the image in a new tab it is easier to read, if you want to, that is.

† The end is nigh †