Main Menu

Co-Pay

Started by Nick, September 13, 2021, 01:51:19 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on September 14, 2021, 10:34:47 PM
Smurphy hanging around with hippies? no hippies here I guess they still don't get it; we are coming for our country back and that includes restoring democracy. by whichever means necessary.

Quite, I  hate hippies. Nicks total ignorance of the disaster that is the American health insurance system is frankly frightening, even Trump questioned the cost of it as are numerous American employers who pay their employees health insurance.
Many American citizens cannot afford health insurance and it has got to the stage Remote Area Medical (RAM) which usually operates in third World Countries has been operating in America for years because of the problem.
Anyone who want the American system instead of the NHS is frankly mad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7420744.stm
Some 60% of RAM's work is now carried out in the United States.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 12:32:29 PM
If you actually read things you'd see that I lived in the States and used the system so no I'm not ignorant. I have real life experience of it, not just some view you've formed sitting round a campfire with a load of hippies.
Smurphy hanging around with hippies? no hippies here I guess they still don't get it; we are coming for our country back and that includes restoring democracy. by whichever means necessary.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2021, 01:51:19 AM
Personally I would be happy for the NHS to be scrapped and a US insurance based system to be installed.
During the time I lived in Charlotte N.C I paid what they call a CoPay insurance, the meaning which is fairly explanatory.
I had on 2 occasions a reason to call upon this insurance, once for the birth of my son and once when my 4 year old daughter had a febrile seizure (which scared the sh1t out of me).

The bills that I got after the insurance was taken out were infinitely less than what I would have paid in NI in the UK over the same period so why all this hysteria about the NHS being bought out by the US? The one thing that struck me was the amount of bills, one from the ambulance dept when she had her seizure, one from the reception that checked her in, one from the porter guys who wheeled her about, etc... They're all run as cost centre: you can see exactly which dept is making money and which is losing it, fantastic.

I'm sure someone is going to come up with the 'they check you credit card before they save your life'... Well that is nonsense cause I asked the question.

One tiny problem

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

According to that, NI doesn't payba penny of the NHS bill
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2021, 09:34:29 AM
Personally I am not, it would be a disaster as the American system is. (If you don't know the how bad the American system is, I suggest you do some research, as currently you appear to be in total ignorance.

If you actually read things you'd see that I lived in the States and used the system so no I'm not ignorant. I have real life experience of it, not just some view you've formed sitting round a campfire with a load of hippies.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on September 13, 2021, 11:54:32 AM
Will some people be virtually uninsurable because of a history of poor health? 

It won't be some people, it will be like America, many millions. (I suspect 25%-30% of the population due do pre-existing conditions and/or unable to afford the premiums.)

HDQQ

Personally I would be happy for the NHS to be scrapped and a US insurance based system to be installed.
During the time I lived in Charlotte N.C I paid what they call a CoPay insurance, the meaning which is fairly explanatory.
I had on 2 occasions a reason to call upon this insurance, once for the birth of my son and once when my 4 year old daughter had a febrile seizure (which scared the sh1t out of me).

The bills that I got after the insurance was taken out were infinitely less than what I would have paid in NI in the UK over the same period so why all this hysteria about the NHS being bought out by the US? The one thing that struck me was the amount of bills, one from the ambulance dept when she had her seizure, one from the reception that checked her in, one from the porter guys who wheeled her about, etc... They're all run as cost centre: you can see exactly which dept is making money and which is losing it, fantastic.

I'm sure someone is going to come up with the 'they check you credit card before they save your life'... Well that is nonsense cause I asked the question.

We all know what happens with insurance companies - the premiums go up, up and up. If private health insurance replaces the NHS, will premiums go up after you've needed treatment? Will some people be virtually uninsurable because of a history of poor health?  And think of all that extra junk mail and spam emails there'd be!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Well despite Sheeps reputation for baffling posts his contribution on this thread couldn't have been clearer.

NHS=political football for decades.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Within two post my words came true. Sad but true.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 13, 2021, 10:11:45 AM
This is not true.

Yes it is true, don't be fooled by the Tory propaganda, please read ALL of this link:-

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/nhs-spending-biggest-boost/

and from the House of Commons Library:-

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn00724/

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2021, 10:04:32 AM
The Tories have spent ten years defunding the NHS, that is why it is in the state it is.

This is not true. The NHS will swallow any amount of money we might decide to throw at it. It cannot all be blamed on the Government. It is totally mismanaged and has been for years. Things are going on in hospitals and more importantly the offices that are frightening in terms of waste.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 13, 2021, 10:02:59 AM
We really cannot go on with the health service as it is.

The Tories have spent ten years defunding the NHS, that is why it is in the state it is.

T00ts

We really cannot go on with the health service as it is. Quite what the answer is I have no idea but it needs root and branch change and I don't think there is anyone out there with the will or courage to do it. Long term we will all be the losers as we are already. Our health care is lauded as the best but it is far from that compared to many countries.

When you hear of them block booking facilities and then not sending patients, when we are told that millions are waiting for treatment or investigation, it is positively frightening, and the notion that we should be grateful for anything we get from the NHS while we are pumping money into it like we are, as if it is granting us privileges, is just insane.

There are enough whistle blowers out there now trying to warn us of what is happening and yet the answer always seems to be more cash. There will never be enough cash to satisfy this monolith.

papasmurf

Personally I am not, it would be a disaster as the American system is. (If you don't know the how bad the American system is, I suggest you do some research, as currently you appear to be in total ignorance.

Sheepy

Well in there lies all the problems of so called Left and Right politics, the worlds 5th largest employer is bureaucratically massively top heavy and still badly run, while big pharma is having a field day and ever since Blairs privatising which is growing at pace with the likes of Johnson saying we must save the NHS while actually meaning we must fully privatise it. At the same importing millions more until it completely collapses under its own bureaucratic weight. All very shameful really as the so called left do their part in its downfall. Which of course will just end up with them blaming each other. Probably the UK's greatest post war achievement gone up in flames.