The tides are turning

Started by HallowedBrexit, September 13, 2021, 12:26:49 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 18, 2021, 12:36:37 AM

I'm home from the Devon / Cornwall border having drunk enough gin to pickle my internal organs for a month.

But it was fun.

Cheers......

Gin is also one of my tipples, had a couple of pints early on 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 12:34:07 AM
Strangely enough, I'm up in Edinburgh this weekend on the lash, but no, I'm a red wine drinker.

I'm home from the Devon / Cornwall border having drunk enough gin to pickle my internal organs for a month.

But it was fun.

Cheers......
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2021, 07:55:12 PM

Wee nipper as in consumer of spirits north of Gretna ??

Assuming you really don't know, weights and measures now trading standards require pubs to serve pints in glasses bearing a calibration which when I was pulling pints was a "lion" mark similar to that used on eggs. I was unaware it ever went away as all the glassware in the pub still has it.

Strangely enough, I'm up in Edinburgh this weekend on the lash, but no, I'm a red wine drinker.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 07:34:19 PM
Being a wee nipper I haven't the foggiest what you're on about 😂

HB is referring to the rise of Totalitarianism.

"A 'alf litre ain't enough. It don't satisfy. And a 'ole litre's too much. It starts my bladder running. Let alone the price."

Of course, to most of us a litre is barely a dirty glass, but Orwell was a wine drinker so to him a pint and three quarters was serious drinking.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 07:34:19 PM

Wee nipper as in consumer of spirits north of Gretna ??

Assuming you really don't know, weights and measures now trading standards require pubs to serve pints in glasses bearing a calibration which when I was pulling pints was a "lion" mark similar to that used on eggs. I was unaware it ever went away as all the glassware in the pub still has it.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2021, 04:27:52 PM

In contrast I remember it well but that's because I worked pulling pints for a time ....
Well whilst I've done that too I've sunk a fair few,difficult to miss them.....hic.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on September 17, 2021, 03:30:08 PM
I can't remember ever noticing a crown stamp on 0.568 litre beer glasses in the past. I knew there was a mark of some sort but I was aware of a mark of some sort.

And if the tides are indeed turning, which tides and on whom?

In contrast I remember it well but that's because I worked pulling pints for a time ....

HDQQ

I can't remember ever noticing a crown stamp on 0.568 litre beer glasses in the past. I knew there was a mark of some sort but I was aware of a mark of some sort.

And if the tides are indeed turning, which tides and on whom?

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on September 13, 2021, 12:26:49 PM
After fifteen years of pain, the crown stamp is returning to our pint glasses  Union Flag Union Flag

It never went away.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HallowedBrexit

After fifteen years of pain, the crown stamp is returning to our pint glasses  Union Flag Union Flag

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1489841/brexit-news-european-commission-pint-glasses-eu-latest

The dark days of the EU is over and the sunlit uplands are about to become reality.

Dancing