So Shamima Begum wants to come back

Started by cromwell, September 17, 2021, 06:13:11 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 30, 2021, 08:58:39 PM
Someone rather cruelly told her she had a way back to here.

For those needing the services of specsavers it's a HGV licence application. :P

No, we just need the image uploading ;)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on September 28, 2021, 07:26:53 PM
There seems to be doubt. You say he is a prisoner of the Kurds. Others say he is in prison in Holland. Still others say that he is dead.

I have done a quick search and found this, which supports the accuracy of what you have told us...

https://www.thefocus.news/celebrity/what-happened-to-shamima-begum-husband/
The blog you've linked to justifies the author thus:

Eve spends her days writing about everything culture-related. From celebrity news to music, film and television, Eve covers all bases. When she's not writing you can find her making music or mastering the art of homemade pasta.

I can't see anything remotely verifiable...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Someone rather cruelly told her she had a way back to here.

For those needing the services of specsavers it's a HGV licence application. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

There seems to be doubt. You say he is a prisoner of the Kurds. Others say he is in prison in Holland. Still others say that he is dead.

I have done a quick search and found this, which supports the accuracy of what you have told us...

Yep last I read he was interviewed by an ex British Army guy who was doing a documentary sep 2021

T00ts

This from the Sun suggests that he is not in Holland but held in a different camp. My mistake.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8477330/shamima-begum-husband-yago-riedijk/

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 28, 2021, 07:20:53 PM
He's a prisoner of the Kurds in Syria,and he rejects isis......really what a surprise.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2021, 07:00:17 PM
LOL Very true. I think it a fine line about honour and integrity in this particular case and as I have said before I do very much understand and agree with your point. If it was simply that straight forward then no doubt she would be here already. One of the things I have heard quoted was her promise to never divulge who else had joined ISIS. If she was ready to be totally re-patriated with all that that commitment involves then I would have thought she would have privately at least agreed to be debriefed. Now it may be that she is scared of making that public but surely she hasn't helped her cause by the public commitment to her friends/fellow ISIS followers?
If she is indeed refusing to spill the beans then she is not helping her cause. But do we know that with any certainty? And in any case it strikes me that she is more likely to be making the spilling of beans conditional upon her return to the UK first. A bargaining chip perhaps.

I am certain that if the powers that be thought she had good and valuable information she'd be back here already. They probably just think she doesn't know much that they don't know already
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2021, 02:55:58 PM
I thought he was imprisoned in Holland.

He's a prisoner of the Kurds in Syria,and he rejects isis......really what a surprise.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 28, 2021, 06:51:10 PM
If this is so it would certainly show that Holland recognises the fact that someone born and raised there is their responsibility.

We as a nation should have both the honour and moral integrity to do the same.

And whether or not you or I can make any difference to a decision already made is irrelevent. We are here to debate what we believe in and think to be right or wrong. If we restricted ourselves to debating only the things we could change there would be almost no debate here at all. Because all of us are virtually powerless to change anything most of the time. We certainly never change anything by droning on about it here.

LOL Very true. I think it a fine line about honour and integrity in this particular case and as I have said before I do very much understand and agree with your point. If it was simply that straight forward then no doubt she would be here already. One of the things I have heard quoted was her promise to never divulge who else had joined ISIS. If she was ready to be totally re-patriated with all that that commitment involves then I would have thought she would have privately at least agreed to be debriefed. Now it may be that she is scared of making that public but surely she hasn't helped her cause by the public commitment to her friends/fellow ISIS followers?

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2021, 02:55:58 PM
I thought he was imprisoned in Holland.
If this is so it would certainly show that Holland recognises the fact that someone born and raised there is their responsibility.

We as a nation should have both the honour and moral integrity to do the same.

And whether or not you or I can make any difference to a decision already made is irrelevent. We are here to debate what we believe in and think to be right or wrong. If we restricted ourselves to debating only the things we could change there would be almost no debate here at all. Because all of us are virtually powerless to change anything most of the time. We certainly never change anything by droning on about it here.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2021, 01:30:40 PM
She is married to a Dutchman, dead admittedly, but she is still entitled to a Dutch passport.
I can't find anything to say he's dead.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-scots-soldier-speaks-ex-24463825
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 28, 2021, 01:41:47 PM
It is a weak argument. She was born and raised here and groomed here and has never set foot in Holland. And yes we might not be party to all the facts but she is nevertheless our moral responsibility and should be brought back, and all the facts laid out before a court of law - closed to the public if necessary if sensitive material from a national security perspective is involved - and sentenced if found guilty.

Let's not be cowards who run away from our responsibilities just because some of those we are responsible for have done bad things or are bad people.We have prisons for them. She deserves to be in prison, not at liberty in someone else's refugee camp

I can so see your point and I think I have said much the same myself but the fact is that we have an elected government with officers put into their position to make these decisions. There was also a legal representative and the decision was made. What you or I feel about it now is pretty much irrelevant. If time proves that Shamima is indeed wrongly served then I would hope that this country will look at it again or that she is able to join her husband who is now her nearest relation. I don't think we have abdicated our responsibility, far from it.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2021, 01:34:00 PM
No, we did it because the EU wouldn't allow us to (Hamza). Thanks for that.
That is a seperate issue related to the freedom of movement inside the EU. They would have had the same issues deporting British criminals back to us. It is in any case a de facto straw man since we are no longer in the EU.

Hamza is not in any case an EU national but is Egyptian. The legal reason we could not deport him to Egypt is because it is illegal in law to deport someone to a country where they are likely to be killed or tortured. That holds true in British law too, independently of the EU.

Nice try but no cigar,

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2021, 01:40:43 PM
As far as I am aware there was no grooming? I believe her and her mates just decided it would be a good idea to leg it to Gaziantep and cross the border.
Most people - including the authorities - suspect she was groomed in some way, quite possibly on the internet by people not even resident here. No one decides to suddenly get up and go somewhere like that for the sheer hell of it on a whim. Much thought would have been required and some measure of persuasion from someone is likely. What you seem to want to believe is improbable and you have no evidence for it.