I'm very happy that imperial measurements are coming back

Started by HallowedBrexit, September 18, 2021, 12:33:48 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 06:28:19 PM
Rubbish.

CPU's no more know imperial than they know metric. For example, ABB robots are taught coordinates in a 3D world based on pulses from an encoder, likewise with CNC machines. They don't care a jot.

I made a few quid during the Y2K scare, no planes fell out of the sky, the banks didn't collapse, it was all bollox.

I think our resident fraggle rock reporter is trying hard to drag substance out of that insane business with the space shuttle where one half of the system was calibrated in nautical miles and the other in feet. Both imperial by the way. The issue as I'm sure you know was the T**** at each end did not read the API interface documents properly.

But I'm sure you also know that Harrods utterly failed to get any card payments through when they opened after Christmas in 1999. I know why, but only because I'd proved NTL cabletel were going to have the same problem with Barclays, six months earlier. I too made quite a lot of money out of Y2K. Knowing what happened at those customers I set tests out for, I feel my fees were just justified.

What really made me laugh was NTL let me go six weeks before the millennium. I had a simply magnificent week in Brussels off their invoices, and spent the majority ment of truth watching our council botch the computerised fireworks ... In those days GPS receivers with atomic clock receivers were a little rare, but I had one.

As it turned out the billing system I was called to NTL to shake down was the only part of the system that stood up. As the millennium hit, so many people wanted to say happy new millennium the phone networks broke through lack of capacity .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2021, 06:28:19 PM
Rubbish.

Nick it is NOT rubbish there have been cockups that cost £billions, when one contractor used Imperial and another one on the same contract used metric.
Fortunately the only one that I had to correct just required converting the program to  metric and reprogramming someone elses program in metric instead of imperial. (It had produced a stacking error over 2.5 metres which just meant some careful welding so a hole could be re-drilled and bored.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2021, 03:43:39 PM
Computer controlled machines do not like Imperial measures. (It can cause all sorts of disasters.)
Bugger me its Isaac Asimov
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Computer controlled machines do not like Imperial measures. (It can cause all sorts of disasters.)

Rubbish.

CPU's no more know imperial than they know metric. For example, ABB robots are taught coordinates in a 3D world based on pulses from an encoder, likewise with CNC machines. They don't care a jot.

I made a few quid during the Y2K scare, no planes fell out of the sky, the banks didn't collapse, it was all bollox.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 18, 2021, 05:04:05 PM

Only when humans fail to input parameters properly, or fail to read the fine manual....

It can still lead to spectacular and very expensive cock-ups.

johnofgwent

Only when humans fail to input parameters properly, or fail to read the fine manual....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

I blame Brexit.

And the Tories
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on September 18, 2021, 12:38:42 PM
More poor quality trolling from our resident p-taker.

Look, I'm not young and I learned everything at senior school in metric. 9.81m/s/s and kg, Newtons.
We even had 10 days in a week and 100 weeks in one year.

No. That was just when Ned Hurst took physics and when every lesson seemed like ten.

Christ, he was a dreary bastard.

I am not so sure about these new measurements. There is no poetry in it. I still have pupils who think 10^3 is 30, while everyone knows that 10 poles are a standard allotment.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on September 18, 2021, 03:34:01 PM

We might still use miles, pints and pounds in day to day life but science, technology and industry have been metric for decades. So has the Ordnance Survey.

HDQQ

There is no good reason for going back to imperial measurements and it's a pity we never went fully metric like the rest of the world except the USA.

We might still use miles, pints and pounds in day to day life but science, technology and industry have been metric for decades. So has the Ordnance Survey.

Why turn the clock back just because a few older people won't adapt?

I'm not against allowing imperial measurements to be displayed by shops alongside metric but imperial must never be made compulsory.

Going back to imperial is the thin end of the wedge. Before long we'd all have to be learning what bushels, quarts and furlongs are.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

More poor quality trolling from our resident p-taker.

Look, I'm not young and I learned everything at senior school in metric. 9.81m/s/s and kg, Newtons.
We even had 10 days in a week and 100 weeks in one year.
† The end is nigh †

HallowedBrexit

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1448954/brexit-news-metric-system-imperial-measures-pounds-inches-pints

In order to push back against the EU and the woke agenda that has been forced upon us, Boris has decided that we should go back to the days of our golden age, aka the British Empire.

It's time we reestablish our own measurements as the measurements of science, law and honesty.

Union Flag