It's gonna be a cold lonely winter

Started by T00ts, September 20, 2021, 11:13:22 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 21, 2021, 12:37:54 AM

I think they said the exact opposite at 6pm ...

Chickens with head chopped off springs to mind. Frankly I suspect just does not realise how serious the problem is.

The main agricultural fertiliser production plants shut down, that will effect agricultural production. (It will also effect quarries which use ANFO explosive for blasting.)
The by products of fertiliser production being stopped with have widespread effects to food production, and it could also effect some aspects of the NHS.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 12:08:10 AM
I've always maintained there are genuine people out there but there are a damn site more playing the system, and as I said we will see in the coming months.

Nick there is no evidence for your opinion. The mindset that there are millions of scroungers is what screwed up and delayed the implementation of Universal Credit. (and still is.)
UC was supposed to be funded by getting a 1 million "scroungers" back into work.
It took a long time for Iain Duncan Smith to realise those 1 million "scroungers" were a figment of Tory imagination.
A government believing it's own propaganda back in 2010, has  bitten them on the backside.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2021, 12:07:50 AM
I hear that gov.uk are looking at subsidising the price of gas, which will solve the problem of gas companies with unsustainable business models going broke

I think they said the exact opposite at 6pm ...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2021, 11:46:29 PM
[HIGHLIGHT]You're[/HIGHLIGHT] looking for a way out Nick,there's single parents with kids who have to work around their kids lives,or do you imagine people queuing up to work in care homes,the hours,the work the pay or lack of it.
Zero hour contracts,you know the ones you say are loved so much.

I've always maintained there are genuine people out there but there are a damn site more playing the system, and as I said we will see in the coming months.

Here's a challenge, find where I said Zero Hour Contracts are loved so much!
You'll find plenty where I said they suit some people.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

I hear that gov.uk are looking at subsidising the price of gas, which will solve the problem of gas companies with unsustainable business models going broke, and to stop the poor people with £20 less beer money going broke. They won't notice the difference.
I feel a real tax rise coming on. We've got to pay for that gas somehow. Gas mostly comes from Russia and Africa and our own North Sea supply. We are far too reliant on gas for energy, which Boris wants to remove as a source of heating our houses in the crazy net zero future.
I wonder about their sanity.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 11:59:32 PM
It's called a question, denoted by the ?
A question after the fact of your own statements actually. Don't get me wrong I know Cromwell can be a bit of an old Commie at times and the Tory party daggers are coming out by the minute, but if he has a point which in actual fact members of your party are actually agreeing with, I am still not so sure in this case attack is the best form of defence, even though we know there are plenty of blaggers on the list with the poor who are also there by no fault of their own.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on September 20, 2021, 11:48:52 PMSounds like a bit of panic written in that one Nick

It's called a question, denoted by the ?

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 11:18:44 PM
Poorly paid? You mean illegally paid less than minimum wage? Or only work a few hours?
Sounds like a bit of panic written in that one Nick, cruel to be kind ain't always the best avenue. I see the pension triple lock went down in flames as well. It is starting to sound like a Boris suicide mission.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 11:18:44 PM
Poorly paid? You mean illegally paid less than minimum wage? Or only work a few hours?
You're looking for a way out Nick,there's single parents with kids who have to work around their kids lives,or do you imagine people queuing up to work in care homes,the hours,the work the pay or lack of it.
Zero hour contracts,you know the ones you say are loved so much.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2021, 10:48:15 PM
A helluva lot of people are not on Jsa but are working you never acknowledge that and they are decent people poorly paid in difficult circumstances or both.

Sheepy

Right on que, what can I say to get some headlines, I know what about those poor folks who will suffer, well there are a lot more of them as you have helped import millions more.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/no-10-warned-energy-crisis-and-cuts-could-plunge-households-into-hardship/ar-AAODPoJ?ocid=msedgntp

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 10:39:22 PM
Now is a great time for them to prove me wrong. Never has the job market been so buoyant, HGV drivers are now commanding £50K. Let's see how they respond cause I'm damn sure that removing the £20 uplift is designed to push people back to work.

JSA for an adult is £75 a week, plus the 20 quid is £95 a week. Working 2 and a bit hours a day is the equivalent of keeping your £20 uplift, why wouldn't you do it?

Let's see if they deserve your faith over the coming months.
A helluva lot of people are not on Jsa but are working you never acknowledge that and they are decent people poorly paid in difficult circumstances or both.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2021, 10:12:53 PMHowever lumping all together as the great unwashed is unfair and untrue,we can all provide such examples to back up, a false premise.

Now is a great time for them to prove me wrong. Never has the job market been so buoyant, HGV drivers are now commanding £50K. Let's see how they respond cause I'm damn sure that removing the £20 uplift is designed to push people back to work.

JSA for an adult is £75 a week, plus the 20 quid is £95 a week. Working 2 and a bit hours a day is the equivalent of keeping your £20 uplift, why wouldn't you do it?

Let's see if they deserve your faith over the coming months.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 09:56:59 PM
It doesn't and won't work like that Mr C. I think you give the great unwashed far too much credit.

My cousin runs his own P&D business and has built up a portfolio of a few rental properties over the years. About 5 years ago some dimwit in the DWP decided to give these herberts some responsibility by paying their rent directly to them. Guess what? He went to get the rent and there was a shiny new 50" TV on the wall and no rent money. "Nowt to do with me mate, the dole pays that money".

So no, the Govt will subsidise the energy companies to keep prices the same if they've any sense.
No it doesn't work like that Nick and whilst I agree that housing benefit should not be paid to the claimant but directly to the landlord.

However lumping all together as the great unwashed is unfair and untrue,we can all provide such examples to back up, a false premise.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/hotel-housekeeper-made-sleep-chair-24925504
So does it follow that all employers are like the bastard we see in the example above? clearly not as is the case with benefit claimants.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2021, 09:47:42 PM
I've always thought you'd look good in crimson. 😉
Did you, those sneaky Russians with their pals the Chinese buying up all the stock behind Covid have managed to push the wholesale price up 250% in 6 months. But on the Brightside Boris was saying we need weaning off of gas and the Green crew said we all need to be vegetarian. Which means a few extra blankets for the old folk and nut roast for Christmas lunch.