Have we sold our souls?

Started by T00ts, September 22, 2021, 10:33:21 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on September 22, 2021, 08:06:01 PM
I think I'll stick to ratatouille
Frenchify it and whip it into mous(s)e...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2021, 07:48:57 PM
Erm, I think I'll stick to my chicken lollipops.
I think I'll stick to ratatouille
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2021, 05:48:09 PM
There are reports of barbecued rat street food in the Far East, where it's more likely to be halal than kosher...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-on-a-stick
Erm, I think I'll stick to my chicken lollipops.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 22, 2021, 04:54:17 PMSwish THUNK

Head of rat flies one way with most of chest.

Liver flies sideways.

Rest of body goes anywhere
If you are are dirty rat and have been affected by this, please call 1-800-RATHERAPY
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 22, 2021, 06:57:21 PM

Women threw their kids behind them and turned to me as if I were Hannibal Lecter at a Vegan Convention....

Don't you just love it when that happens.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 22, 2021, 05:22:34 PM
Well yes and no.

Growing so much fruit and veg means that I am practically a vegetarian, but I am still the size of a house. In fact the only skinny folk on my allotment site are the foxes. The buggers live off Asda dog food (they won't touch that watery rubbish from Morrison's ), Tesco's roast chicken and my windfall fruit, which clears them out a treat.

You are right about food wrapped in plastic. One of the neighbouring allotment holders showed her 8 year old son some carrots I was growing in a bath tub. The lad was amazed, but that still made him a lot better informed than most folk who think they are manufactured by Sainsbury. :) :)

There are ways to ensure your kids have a proper unde standing ...

As I've mentioned before, I took my kids to see the community farm the council want d to bulldoze and which we stroppy buggers said NO !! and ordered a whip round to launch a trust to run it....

It's doing fairly well really... It's got a herd of llamas the wool gets sold to this chap who set up a spinning wheel and weaving loom ... And various other things. It also used to raise breeds of animal not so commonly seen nowadays.....

But when I took Sarah aged about six to see the frolicking lambs ... after doing the usual aw there's cute she pipes up

Dad ....

How old do they need to get before we can beat one across the head and serve it up with mint sauce ?

YES!!

The effect was amazing.

Women threw their kids behind them and turned to me as if I were Hannibal Lecter at a Vegan Convention....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2021, 04:38:02 PM
I didn't realise halal rat was available. But it might go nicely with the "cat that tastes like chicken" at the Chinese take-away.
There are reports of barbecued rat street food in the Far East, where it's more likely to be halal than kosher...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-on-a-stick
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 22, 2021, 05:22:34 PM

You are right about food wrapped in plastic. One of the neighbouring allotment holders showed her 8 year old son some carrots I was growing in a bath tub. The lad was amazed, but that still made him a lot better informed than most folk who think they are manufactured by Sainsbury. :) :)

Comment from my brothers children many years ago after my mother had been childminding "Dad nan made chips out of potatoes."

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 22, 2021, 04:35:01 PM

I am convinced a population forced to cultivate or hunt their own meat would be far more vegetarian through choice and far skinnier ....

Well yes and no.

Growing so much fruit and veg means that I am practically a vegetarian, but I am still the size of a house. In fact the only skinny folk on my allotment site are the foxes. The buggers live off Asda dog food (they won't touch that watery rubbish from Morrison's ), Tesco's roast chicken and my windfall fruit, which clears them out a treat.

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2021, 11:46:54 AM
I used CO2 on lab rats in early 1970s and, as you say, they panic and crap themselves and pee themselves, so pretty awful to watch.
Our doctor in charge of the research unit could rabbit chop them with 2 fingers, but I couldn't get the knack. As you know, they can give you a nasty bite!

Oh well if we're going there.

Take a cage of rats

Take one out, have someone on the junior staff try to keep it calm. Measure distance from nose to diaphragm and diaphragm to tail. Have more experienced team member dip bug metal paddles in liquid nitrogen.

Have team executioner adjust blades of samurai sharpness on fascinating instrument with sliding backbone/handle to match measurements. Start countdown for rat handler

Swish THUNK

Head of rat flies one way with most of chest.

Liver flies sideways.

Rest of body goes anywhere

Mid-term experienced researchers job is to hit liver with nitrogen cooled paddles to freeze it solid and kill metabolism, without maiming other staff in close proximity.

We tried this three times before concluding the nazi war scientists who came to teach us how to do it were utterly unhinged and we would end up with no fingers each and worse.

In the end we perfected a method of perfusing the liver of a r cently killed rat with enzymes that digested the liver structure, leaving us with the cells in a fragile matrix we could extract on a glass dish and put in a solution to cultivate hydroponically

Howe Voisey Winterburn Biochem Soc Transactions 1982 iirc.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2021, 12:08:35 PM
So it seems the outcry against kosher and halal slaughter by non Muslim and Jewish meat eaters could almost be regarded as hypocritical...

Beaten you to it by years I'm afraid.

I've been pointing out the hypocrisy of whingeing about halal slaughter whilst remaining silent over kosher slaughter for years.

Barry

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2021, 12:08:35 PM
So it seems the outcry against kosher and halal slaughter by non Muslim and Jewish meat eaters could almost be regarded as hypocritical...
I didn't realise halal rat was available. But it might go nicely with the "cat that tastes like chicken" at the Chinese take-away.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on September 22, 2021, 12:41:00 PM
You are so graphic - it shocked me.

Ok.

From the standpoint of gentlemanly behaviour and all that, shock wasn't my intent. My apologies for that

Having said that, far too much of today is put in sanitary plastic packaging. And some people need 240 volts up the arse.

The reality of this business was shown live on BBC2 a few years ago as a documentary into your Christmas dinner.

Including the fact that thanks to HSE protocols, if a bird shits itself as it dies the meat is declared unfit.

There's a whole lot more. My years as a research biochemist taught me a lot. The three months I spent at the the National institute for Research in Dairying for example. I can milk a cow and a goat. When I took my kids to the community farm I was a founder member of, and they opened the mill mg parlour to milk the two cows the farm kept, and they asked for volunteers, I was up like a shot, and the guy going the chat was visibly impressed. Afterwards he asked which farm I was part of. He was quite stunned to hear I was a former resarch scientist taught to milk sheep goats and cows to recover antibodies created from my research in test flocks.

One of the really annoying things that grinds my gears is the BS about "halal slaughter" when we have allowed KOSHER slaughter for centuries. The Rabbi went I to the abbatoir at Cardiff and he came out looking worse than I did after six hours of cutting off bulls bollocks to take them back to the lab to stew up to remove the hyaluronidase ......

I have always thought one of the easiest ways to deal with obesity would be to hand each adult an axe and say "off you go". As a scuba diver I came across two turbot at the edge of a shoal of fish and my colleague and dive buddy grabbed them, bagged them and took them to shore.

They were utterly delicious. Well, we sold one to a shoreside fishmonger and he filleted the other for us.

I am convinced a population forced to cultivate or hunt their own meat would be far more vegetarian through choice and far skinnier ....

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 22, 2021, 12:09:35 PM

Some people wanted to send nail bombs to my boss's wife and kids at home, and firebomb my car. I'm ok with that as long as you downgrade such vermin to subhuman so my licence to experiment allows me to include them as test subjects

I have to say John, that idea does have potential  :)
Algerie Francais !