Mini Moke repatriates production to UK. Will Macron sever diplomatic relations ?

Started by johnofgwent, September 24, 2021, 07:56:20 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Don't see why the French should be upset. If they a retiré leurs doigts, they could strongly promote the Citroën Méhari which was supposedly created as a French answer to the Mini Moke.   

Both were designed to be lightweight, inexpensive to buy, and cheap to operate, but unlike the steel-bodied Moke, the Méhari was one of the first production vehicles with a full ABS plastic body.

1970 Citroën Méhari - For Sale At Auction
Like the Moke the Mehari has been updated — and now also comes in an e-version...
CITROEN E-Mehari specs & photos - 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 - autoevolution
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/e-mehari/96609/citroen-e-mehari-review
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on October 02, 2021, 06:19:36 PM
The Mini Moke was and always will be of only extremely limited appeal. It's what's described as a 'fun car' but it's only that if the weather is fine, you're not going very far and you're not going very fast. One of the original Moke's novel ideas was that they could be stacked two-high for storage after the windscreen had been folded flat.

But in your lib-dem / green / nuclear free European dystopia, the car as a utilitarian vehicle would be banned by the cult of Saint Greta, so the only vehicles allowed would be those akin to the Mokes of McGoohan's "village". Hence the case for them increases ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

The Mini Moke was and always will be of only extremely limited appeal. It's what's described as a 'fun car' but it's only that if the weather is fine, you're not going very far and you're not going very fast. One of the original Moke's novel ideas was that they could be stacked two-high for storage after the windscreen had been folded flat. Looks like you can't do that with the new ones because of the high backed seats. They lost a trick there !!!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2021, 07:21:17 PM
And the size of the vehicle,engine,brakes,pas,oh and uprated suspension.....almost forgot heated windscreen .
And for the US market an electric version.

But yeah you're right it's just the same.
And they're only building 56 for sale here.

It still is not worth £20000, (one version is £260000.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2021, 07:21:17 PM
And the size of the vehicle,engine,brakes,pas,oh and uprated suspension.....almost forgot heated windscreen .

Shame really. The dead basic one we rented in Barbados was made in Aus and was great as a runaround. Would have though that model was ideal for electrification...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2021, 06:19:01 PM
Very little difference between the first version and the latest incarnation except the size of the wheels.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2021, 05:37:35 PM

It's an entirely different car,you cannot compare the two.

Very little difference between the first version and the latest incarnation except the size of the wheels.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2021, 08:09:32 AM
The new version is £20000, I paid £450 for a brand new one back in 1967.
I once ate an orange whilst scratching my arse with the other hand whilst watching a mini moke drive past.

Btw the orange cost me tuppence. Puke
It's an entirely different car,you cannot compare the two.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 24, 2021, 07:56:20 AM

It is an image of John Bull dragging a hissy fitting whiney snivelling little French brat into the middle of the Place De La Concorde at high noon and very publicly slapping the snotty nosed shithead across the face with a wet haddock. And I swear I see Marianne jiggling her tits in approval.

Enjoy the day, people.

"Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive
But to be a tetchy old fart was very heaven."

Happy days  Union Flag Dancing
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on September 24, 2021, 12:02:44 PM
Good to see that we now get more content from the Daily Express in here instead ead of the woke media.

The Express is a far away from the truth as the Daily Heil.

HallowedBrexit

Good to see that we now get more content from the Daily Express in here instead ead of the woke media.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2021, 08:09:32 AM

The BMW Mini costs £16 grand, the electric version twenty six grand. In 1959 the retail price was £497. Beyond the fact inflation is a bitch .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 24, 2021, 07:56:20 AM
The Mini Moke, made famous by a certain chap who thought himself 'not a number'

johnofgwent

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1495525/mini-moke-car-production-brexit-news-latest

Ok it's the express but my Friday is suddenly much brighter.

The Mini Moke, made famous by a certain chap who thought himself 'not a number' made a bit of a comeback four years ago. Apparently production which was done partly in France is being wholly repatriated. And the cheese eating surrender monkey who continues to throw a hissy fit at having a defence contract cancelled in full accordance with its terms of business is no doubt about to withdraw his ambassador to the UK ....

You know what ? I bet the actual impact upon this country's balance of payments isn't worth a raise if an eyebrow.

But I don't care.

It is a Friday morning at the end of what feels a long week. The equinox has come, and gone. The mornings start just a little bit later, and the air that hangs about the house as I pull the curtains to greet what I find is that tiniest bit colder, and damper than yesterday.

But not today.

Today I cannot shake an image from my head.

It is an image of John Bull dragging a hissy fitting whiney snivelling little French brat into the middle of the Place De La Concorde at high noon and very publicly slapping the snotty nosed shithead across the face with a wet haddock. And I swear I see Marianne jiggling her tits in approval.

Enjoy the day, people.