Arctic warming linked to colder winters

Started by Borchester, September 30, 2021, 01:08:42 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2021, 04:57:07 PM
How do you know that is true?
They have found ancient flint tools and mammoth tusks on the seabed in the North Sea, clearly indicating that this was once dry land and that the sea level was much lower. Clearly it has risen since the last ice age.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on September 30, 2021, 02:32:10 PMSea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age, about 15,000 years ago.

How do you know that is true?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on September 30, 2021, 02:32:10 PM
While some people might benefit from global warming, creeping desertification will add to the migrant problem.
But even bigger, what about rising sea levels affecting huge numbers of people living in low-lying areas, including much of London?

I will be alright. I live on a hill. And  Croydon has an elevation of  between 160 and 230 feet, so Streetwalker should be ok. Hackney is surprisingly low lying, but Pat has his French chateau so he will have a bolt hole. And the Lizard is 250 feet above sea level so Pappy won't even get his feet wet. Not too sure about Glasgow or Morayshire, but Scotland has plenty of hills so Tommy and Morayloon and Bright Young Thing should be safe.

Between ourselves Duckie, I am beginning to think that, fun as it promised to be, this end of the world lark might not be as exciting as folk have been making out.  :) :)
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on September 30, 2021, 01:08:42 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58425526 

So some parts of the world are getting hotter while the others are getting colder.

So everybody wins! I tell you, this climate change lark has something for everyone.  :)

While some people might benefit from global warming, creeping desertification will add to the migrant problem.
But even bigger, what about rising sea levels affecting huge numbers of people living in low-lying areas, including much of London?

Sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age, about 15,000 years ago. This process is arguably still going on and if human activity increases the melting of the Antarctic and Greenland ice caps, it's only going to make things worse. And it's not like Antarctica or most of Greenland will become habitable even if their ice caps lose one third of their thickness!

As an aside, the ice in the Arctic Ocean is already in the water, so if when that melts, as much it does each year, it will have little effect on sea levels, unlike the ice caps mentioned earlier.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58425526 

So some parts of the world are getting hotter while the others are getting colder.

So everybody wins! I tell you, this climate change lark has something for everyone.  :)
Algerie Francais !