Government and councils should ‘stop passing the buck’ on truck stops,

Started by papasmurf, October 02, 2021, 08:17:10 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 06:20:26 PM
That should be covered by employers, with no cost to the drivers.

Yes they should but unless they pay the facilities direct the  truckers will just pocket the money and your back to square one 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2021, 06:55:55 PM

The M6 is 232 miles long and there are 18 services on it.

None of them are dedicated truck stops.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 06:44:22 PM
It has conveniently for you been deleted along with many others. Which as you are well aware can only be done by a moderator.

The only person on here who ever uses the word lie or accuses people of bullying is you.

Back to truck stops.

The M6 is 232 miles long and there are 18 services on it. That's one every 13 miles, not even including the stops just off the motorway. That's not the reason we don't have enough drivers, who is going to train for a job that's going to be automated in the next couple of years.
The US is using them already and they can get across the country 10 hours faster than a human driver.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2021, 06:33:39 PM
Show me a post where I said you lied.

It has conveniently for you been deleted along with many others. Which as you are well aware can only be done by a moderator.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 03:08:46 PM
You stated I had lied, and I asked you what about, you stated about the lack of truck stops, (despite me posting references to the contrary,) and then  I got banned. 
I want an apology.  Frankly you do not know what debate is.

Show me a post where I said you lied.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 03, 2021, 05:37:08 PM
the European drivers are not going to pay £20 for overnight facilities .

That should be covered by employers, with no cost to the drivers.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 03, 2021, 05:37:08 PM
You had decent facilities because you used them and paid for them .

I did and they were cheap. They have mostly gone now.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 09:40:27 AM
It is not a Tory bad story the number of dedicated truck stops has been falling for decades. When I was a long distance lorry driver in the 1970s there was an adequate number of secure lorry parks for overnight parking, and transport "digs" to sleep in and have and evening meal and breakfast.
Those facilities have practically disappeared over the years.

You had decent facilities because you used them and paid for them . Its the same in construction , all the on site cafes have gone because the Europeans refused to pay 40p for a cup of tea or £4 for a full English . That left us Brits without canteens .

The same has obviously happened in Haulage , the European drivers are not going to pay £20 for overnight facilities . They look at the cost and think feck that its a days money at home I'll kip in a lay-by . The digs end up not being used like transport cafes  so they close down .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2021, 02:59:04 PM
Total rubbish.

You stated I had lied, and I asked you what about, you stated about the lack of truck stops, (despite me posting references to the contrary,) and then  I got banned. 
I want an apology.  Frankly you do not know what debate is.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 02:43:27 PM
I asked you what I had lied about and you came back with there are plenty of truck stops, despite me posting references to the contrary.
That is not debating it is abuse.

Total rubbish.
I used the word false and so did you.
A false statement is not necessarily a lie.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2021, 02:40:48 PM
No I didn't. How is it a debate forum is we all agree?

I asked you what I had lied about and you came back with there are plenty of truck stops, despite me posting references to the contrary.
That is not debating it is abuse.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2021, 09:33:50 AM
Nick did, I asked him what I had lied about and he came back with there are plenty of truck stops, even after I had posted references stated there were not.

Mod edit C

No I didn't. How is it a debate forum is we all agree?
I would suggest you stop this 'everyone calls me liar' crap and grow a pair.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 03, 2021, 01:04:51 PM
Do you have a solution to the perceived problem, Papasmurf?

Frankly given how quickly the government built the "Farage Garage," it is up to government to address the problem in the short term. (Contracting it out would be a disaster.)
There is  a lot of underused/redundant MOD and other government property all over Britain that could be utilised and quickly for dedicated for HGV safe and secure parking with facilities for drivers, with only modest charges needed.
All it needs is the will to do it.

Barry

Do you have a solution to the perceived problem, Papasmurf?
Is it to build more facilities? Reopen old ones? Buy up fields to create parking and rest areas run at a loss by the government?
Please do tell how it can be fixed, preferably by 1st Jan 2022 as it is a pressing problem.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on October 03, 2021, 12:04:28 PM
what would you do then pappy? Raise taxes and spend spend spend taxpayers hard earned cash building and  subsidising loss making motorway facilities for hgv drivers?

Loss making motorway facilities? You are joking.