We live in a post truth society

Started by Barry, October 03, 2021, 01:15:59 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on October 04, 2021, 02:05:45 PM
I hate to make this about the dreaded v word, but yesterday there was an obituary on Twitter relation to a woman my daughter's age who died from COVID-19 Vaccine-Induced Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT).
https://obits.oregonlive.com/us/obituaries/oregon/name/jessica-wilson-obituary?pid=200278331
Twitter marked it as misleading.
Misleading means it is a lie, but it was not. Who made them the arbiter of truth?
Well, there is a problem to solve Barry, if people only see everything in black and white, they will never get to see full technicolour.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 04, 2021, 12:31:28 PM
I was just watching Rishi Sunak give his Party Conference speech. He commented that people are frightened by change, by uncertainty, by events and when that happens they divide. Then they say you are either with us or against us and hatred and division grows. He may have a point.

I don'tthink people are frightened of change. They just don't want to rush into a new situation simply because it is new. And if things do go wrong they try to learn from their mistakes. They don't think that matters are improved by shooting kulaks and other class enemies and generally acting like a bunch of hysterical Jessies.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 04, 2021, 02:05:45 PM
I hate to make this about the dreaded v word, but yesterday there was an obituary on Twitter relation to a woman my daughter's age who died from COVID-19 Vaccine-Induced Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT).
https://obits.oregonlive.com/us/obituaries/oregon/name/jessica-wilson-obituary?pid=200278331
Misleading means it is a lie, but it was not. Who made them the arbiter of truth?

What a sad story, but being objective, it is written in very emotive language in order to bring into question the USA vaccination process. How many of the same age died of Covid? We are on a learning curve taken at top speed there are going to be mistakes and unwanted repercussions. It has always been so and only that way do we increase our knowledge. I don't intend to belittle this family's loss she was obviously a much loved and missed wife, mother and daughter. RIP together with all those who chose not to accept the jabs who were fit as far as they knew but still passed away.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on October 03, 2021, 01:15:59 PM
I've said it enough times before and I honestly believe that truth is being eroded, mostly by lobbies which have an agenda to destroy society as we know it.
Common sense and speaking it might get you into trouble. What a perverse world we live in.

Nice try Cleggy but we are upon you.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/clegg-refutes-whistleblower-claim-facebook-contributed-to-capitol-attack/ar-AAP6c8S?ocid=msedgntp
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

I was just watching Rishi Sunak give his Party Conference speech. He commented that people are frightened by change, by uncertainty, by events and when that happens they divide. Then they say you are either with us or against us and hatred and division grows. He may have a point.

Sampanviking

I would only add to the above that people should not be fooled into thinking that these forces are external
They are internal and perpetrated by our own against us.

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on October 03, 2021, 02:45:53 PM
From Trump to Extinction Rebellion via UKIP, Gillets Jaunes, anti-vaxxers and religious fundamentalism, truth has been under attack in Western societies from all angles. People who want to spread chaos and confusion will encourage all these opposing forces if it suits their ultimate goal of destabilising western society.
Generally, I agree, and I'd add that any forces which want to destabilise society and erode what is true must be dark forces, evil if you will.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

From Trump to Extinction Rebellion via UKIP, Gillets Jaunes, anti-vaxxers and religious fundamentalism, truth has been under attack in Western societies from all angles. People who want to spread chaos and confusion will encourage all these opposing forces if it suits their ultimate goal of destabilising western society.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

I am having real trouble with this. I read recently about a couple of white kids in USA who were studying in a communal area in their university until a couple of black kids rounded on them saying they weren't allowed there because it was a cultural area.

The kids studying were puzzled until they were told - you are white you don't have a culture!

Another item is that again universities in USA have so many diversity officers at huge expense who are creating division rather than unity. They are recommending separate floors for living quarters for different minorities of ethnicity, sexuality , and even separate lectures. In other words not allowing kids to mix and certainly shutting down anyone with a view that doesn't agree.

What happens in the US usually swims across to here and already we have schools, universities, companies, public organisations feeding into this. The majority realise it is wrong and where it will lead but no-one is listening to the majority anymore.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 03, 2021, 01:15:59 PM
I've said it enough times before and I honestly believe that truth is being eroded,

Mostly the fault of governments and the media/press.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

I've said it enough times before and I honestly believe that truth is being eroded, mostly by lobbies which have an agenda to destroy society as we know it.
Common sense and speaking it might get you into trouble. What a perverse world we live in.

† The end is nigh †