French Catholic Church abused 216,000

Started by Barry, October 05, 2021, 11:28:27 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2021, 11:56:33 AM
If you ask clergy to obey a life of celibacy surely it is opening them to all the temptation possible? It is an incredibly tough call and does it make them any more affective in their Church?

They do get a LONG time to decide if they really, REALLY want to do this

Almost thirty years ago I was hired to freelance an air traffic control development. It was a disaster on roller skates but one moment almost made up for it.

This lad I will call Robert to protect the guilty came up through the engineering ranks to join the developers. He was pretty good. I was his project manager.

One wednesday the senior PM came to me and a couple of managers stressed that HR oversights had left several.oeoole on the wrong contracts. Robert was one such he should have been switched to the main one ages ago. The issue was he was currently able to give 24 hours notice ....

A meeting was arranged and Sue the senior PM called Robert, Dom (his manager) and a couple of others in similar situations in for a chat.

Suddenly the body language I could see from outside changed radically. Then Dom burst out laughing.

I found out later

Sue had asked Robert to sign the new contract and he said "oh, I'm not sure I can"

Sue apparently started thinking what can I offer to keep him here thinking of course he'd had a better offer.

She gently probed the question of what Robert might want to stay with the company.

And then he explained "no, it's nothing like that, I want to go and become a priest"

That's when his manager fell off the chair.

Now in a sort of wash up meeting first Dom had to bring the guy down from thinking he was the cause of mirth, he wasn't, it was Sues face that triggered Dom's hyper mirth

So it turns out if you want to do this first the church give you a long hard talking to, then they pack you off to get a degree in divinity / theology (can't recall which it was) and then there's a postgrad course so he was going to end up as a doctor of divinity and even THEN it would be several more years before he was fully committed to the celibate lifestyle.

He seemed to think I was a little shocked he would want to be a man of the cloth.

He seemed surprised as hell when I told him "not at all, as far as preaching the faith goes, I was a lay preacher and met my wife in the pulpit, her father was a lay preacher and her cousin is a Cathedral Canon."

No, I said, it's not the fact you have come to see the way of the preacher as the life for you; my surprise is the particular branch of that faith and the impact on your life style....

That's when he took me through the steps till he had to commit.......

I've no idea if he made it.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 08, 2021, 04:38:23 PM
I'm not buying that T00ts, if they can't honour their commitment to the church dress in normal clobber, put a wig on and go find a lady or man of the night. There is no need to resort to this how under any circumstance.

Don't misunderstand I don't condone it in any way, but a Church that demands such an abnormal life is at fault in my view. Equally unless someone was properly prepared to make such a lifetime commitment then they should not be allowed anywhere near their Church let alone those poor kids. Celibacy does not improve holiness in my view and is quite possibly against God's teaching.

Quote from: Nick on October 08, 2021, 04:43:18 PM
And now the limp wristed liberals want everyone to be able to identify as they choose, almost on an hourly basis.
Just wait until some sicko decides he is going to identify as a 15 year old boy and touches a young girl, can't go to jail cause he's a minor.
Where are the safe places for the vulnerable now??

Absolutely!

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2021, 01:23:26 PM
Indeed they have but if we are honest there has been a long history where access to children in all sorts of settings has produced the same outcome. Self control just seems non existent sometimes.

And now the limp wristed liberals want everyone to be able to identify as they choose, almost on an hourly basis.
Just wait until some sicko decides he is going to identify as a 15 year old boy and touches a young girl, can't go to jail cause he's a minor.
Where are the safe places for the vulnerable now??
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2021, 11:56:33 AM
If you ask clergy to obey a life of celibacy surely it is opening them to all the temptation possible? It is an incredibly tough call and does it make them any more affective in their Church?

I'm not buying that T00ts, if they can't honour their commitment to the church dress in normal clobber, put a wig on and go find a lady or man of the night. There is no need to resort to this how under any circumstance.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2021, 01:13:17 PM
The same happens in the Church of England and they don't ask for celibacy.
Abuse of choirboys is almost a caricature, which is disgusting. I'm not suggesting an answer, but the organised church has a lot to answer for.

Indeed they have but if we are honest there has been a long history where access to children in all sorts of settings has produced the same outcome. Self control just seems non existent sometimes.

Barry

The same happens in the Church of England and they don't ask for celibacy.
Abuse of choirboys is almost a caricature, which is disgusting. I'm not suggesting an answer, but the organised church has a lot to answer for.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2021, 11:28:27 AM
That's over 70 years.
That means 59 people a week for seventy whole years, and has it stopped?
They must be so proud of themselves.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58801183

Barry

That's over 70 years.
That means 59 people a week for seventy whole years, and has it stopped?
They must be so proud of themselves.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58801183
† The end is nigh †