Universal credit: End of the £20 boost explained

Started by GBNews, October 07, 2021, 01:00:11 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 07, 2021, 10:34:21 PM
The Treasury and Rishi have come to the end of the splurge, they are now counting the cost and wondering how the hell they are going to ever balance the books. State pensioners have been robbed, so taking back the extra £20 was not exactly unpredictable.
I think there must be a bit of panic for the next budget statement. (I think it is on Wed 27th October)

I would agree - the books must be heavily red all over - totally against the Conservative reputation. However circumstances have dictated over the last 18 months and I still believe that those of us who can should do our bit for the recovery. I would rather they took it from those who can afford it - even if it means going without the foreign hols etc and those extras that many cannot even think about. However I would expect that they bolster those who might otherwise fall through the gaps. We all need to pull in our belts.

Barry

The Treasury and Rishi have come to the end of the splurge, they are now counting the cost and wondering how the hell they are going to ever balance the books. State pensioners have been robbed, so taking back the extra £20 was not exactly unpredictable.
I think there must be a bit of panic for the next budget statement. (I think it is on Wed 27th October)
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 07, 2021, 10:04:50 PM
Surely the Tories could have let this one ride , collected a few brownie points from Rashford and co and taken it back under the cover of the next dole increase .
When you get the likes of Ian D Smith making a case to keep it you know something or someone isnt thinking straight

When so many have had the earth spent on them over furlough it seems sad to cut this when prices are rising so drastically and we are being promised a tough cold winter.

Streetwalker

Surely the Tories could have let this one ride , collected a few brownie points from Rashford and co and taken it back under the cover of the next dole increase .
When you get the likes of Ian D Smith making a case to keep it you know something or someone isnt thinking straight

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on October 07, 2021, 05:12:52 PM
This was only meant to be a temporary measure. So, in theory it should come to an end. But I do think with energy costs increasing, NI rises for the employed, and inflation already kicking in, withdrawing the £20 boost to Universal Credit should be delayed until later into the first quarter next year...
I think that costs have risen so much that the upgrade should be permanent. But if it has to be withdrawn waiting until the end of March when the winter is over would have been the compassionate thing to do.

They say it is about encouraging people into work but 40 percent of claimants are already in work. If incentivising work was the object, instead of withdrawing the money they should have redirected it to make the taper less punitive. Those out of work would still lose the 20 quid but the working ones would actually have been better off. But even that should have waited until the end of March.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

This was only meant to be a temporary measure. So, in theory it should come to an end. But I do think with energy costs increasing, NI rises for the employed, and inflation already kicking in, withdrawing the £20 boost to Universal Credit should be delayed until later into the first quarter next year...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GBNews

Universal credit: End of the £20 boost explained

The £20-a-week boost to universal credit is being withdrawn.

Source: Universal credit: End of the £20 boost explained