Main Menu

Worth every penny!

Started by T00ts, October 08, 2021, 09:59:58 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on October 08, 2021, 12:35:48 PM
All true, but I can't see much changing.

The day UK pickers are paid £30 an hour will be the day vegetables are flown in from the arse end of the world where farm workers are lucky to see £3 a month.

The pickers themselves get a small revenge. Next time you are in Waitrose and you crush an organic cauliflower to your chest and marvel at its freshness and vitality, just remember that there aren't any loos in Farmer Gills' fields.

Not quite what was meant by worth every penny as a title ...

I hope

Don't they wash that stuff in heavily chlorinated water ?

If so, clutch it to your chest too hard and your clothing will fall apart ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on October 08, 2021, 12:35:48 PMNext time you are in Waitrose and you crush an organic cauliflower to your chest and marvel at its freshness and vitality, just remember that there aren't any loos in Farmer Gills' fields.

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on October 08, 2021, 10:25:05 AM
Less specifically, it is a scandal that anyone in full time employment should have to claim UC. Employers are exploiting the workforce, if, after a full weeks work, there is not enough money to pay the bills.
I'm not sure 50p a minute is the answer to that, but the minimum wage of less than £10/hour is rubbish.
The minimum wage has become a standard starting wage, which surely was not the intention. The minimum wage should apply to everyone.
When I was in the NHS there were "apprentices" working in offices for £3 an hour doing the same job as the established staff in that office who were on a decent salary. No one should have to work for less than the minimum wage.

All true, but I can't see much changing.

The day UK pickers are paid £30 an hour will be the day vegetables are flown in from the arse end of the world where farm workers are lucky to see £3 a month.

The pickers themselves get a small revenge. Next time you are in Waitrose and you crush an organic cauliflower to your chest and marvel at its freshness and vitality, just remember that there aren't any loos in Farmer Gills' fields.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 08, 2021, 10:25:05 AM
Less specifically, it is a scandal that anyone in full time employment should have to claim UC. Employers are exploiting the workforce, if, after a full weeks work, there is not enough money to pay the bills.
I'm not sure 50p a minute is the answer to that, but the minimum wage of less than £10/hour is rubbish.
The minimum wage has become a standard starting wage, which surely was not the intention. The minimum wage should apply to everyone.
When I was in the NHS there were "apprentices" working in offices for £3 an hour doing the same job as the established staff in that office who were on a decent salary. No one should have to work for less than the minimum wage.

There are so many factors here. One man's expenses are another's profligacy. There can be no correct minimum because there is no minimum spend. If someone has 4 kids he needs more than the chap with one. If one man has a badly insulated house or is a cold body then his heating will be more. If he loves a roasting hot bath or shower each day and another prefers tepid or cold again where do we end up?

Should experience count when wages are determined? Should length of service matter? Should a single man/woman get less than a married with kids? Does a blanket minimum wage solve anything? I doubt it.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Years ago I knew an old man who used to tell me about his youth when he used to help out on a nearby farm. He picked broccoli and used to tell me that it was much better after the frost got to it. He added that many a time he had picked it in freezing cold and his hands would be numb, but then if he kept going his hands would warm up and from then on they would be as warm as anything. I can't imagine anything worse. He was paid a pittance - but £30 per hour looks about right to me.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10070429/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Thirty-quid-hour-pick-broccoli-Gissa-job.html