Tory MP Sir David Amess dies after stabbing

Started by papasmurf, October 15, 2021, 03:25:50 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 16, 2021, 09:39:00 AM
Why is there a risk to MPs? What has changed?

Frankly the nasty generalised comments from MPs during debates in the House of Commons about groups of people has made a rod for their own backs. I am very surprised more of them aren't attacked.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 16, 2021, 09:50:49 AM

Toots, are you really so forgetful.

The risk has not changed. Decades ago Paddy Ashdown was mugged on the streets of London. Sadly he was far more restrained in his response than I would have been, but then he was an Officer in the Royal Marine Commandos and I can't see him being the loser. And a couple of years back a nutter with a sword attacked an MP from the same party and that didn't have a nice outcome.

Sadly all these incidents did was make our elected members withdraw from communication with those who voted for them. I suspect this will make that worse.

No not forgetful just saddened by the 'shock' reported.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 16, 2021, 09:39:00 AM
Why is there a risk to MPs? What has changed? I see Angela Rayner is under pressure again to apologise for her recent unseemly outburst about Conservatives, but it isn't just her is it? It seems par for the course everywhere to call politicians insulting names as well as their followers. Respect for anyone with any sort of position in society is no longer deemed a necessary part of a civilised society.

We are all the poorer for it.

Toots, are you really so forgetful.

The risk has not changed. Decades ago Paddy Ashdown was mugged on the streets of London. Sadly he was far more restrained in his response than I would have been, but then he was an Officer in the Royal Marine Commandos and I can't see him being the loser. And a couple of years back a nutter with a sword attacked an MP from the same party and that didn't have a nice outcome.

Sadly all these incidents did was make our elected members withdraw from communication with those who voted for them. I suspect this will make that worse.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Right.

I deliberately avoided even reading the BBC pages or the TV or radio because their isn't enough Losartan to sort what it would do to my blood pressure

But I'm genuinely amazed this morning

The front page of the BBC news states categorically this was an incident of Islamic Terrorism carried out by a 25 year old British Moslem of Somali Descent.

Mo Farah must be really proud. Where's his condemnation of these actions by the way ? Given the public are supposed to worship the political wisdom of millionaire "sports" celebrities one would imagine someone had rung him to offer a bribe to say something ? Ah well, maybe the fee they offered was insufficient.

And Cressida Dick and Saddo Khan't seem remarkably quiet too. After all, Khan't said such events are part and parcel of life in his London and clearly it's spread to the Home Counties .....

Mind you, Dick and the BBC Board are probably contemplating suicide this morning given for the past 15 years or so they've been instrumental in ensuring the BBC front page says shite like "the motives of the attacker were unclear" or "the attack was the work of a lone individual with mental health issues"

I'm just annoyed it took a death of an MP to put a stop to that bullshit.

Other things have surprised me too, but I'll keep them to myself.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Why is there a risk to MPs? What has changed? I see Angela Rayner is under pressure again to apologise for her recent unseemly outburst about Conservatives, but it isn't just her is it? It seems par for the course everywhere to call politicians insulting names as well as their followers. Respect for anyone with any sort of position in society is no longer deemed a necessary part of a civilised society.

We are all the poorer for it.

papasmurf

Given the known risk to MPs I am surprised that there are not two "rent a thugs" on duty when and MP conducts "surgeries" in their constituencies. Jobcentre Plus offices have had such security for years.

Barry

Today, shock enough that another MP has been murdered. In a church, too, a place of peace and sanctuary, it's just revolting.
For today, RIP and prayers for his family and friends.

For tomorrow, a huge enquiry, depending on the results and what the press find out, will affect the size of the backlash.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 15, 2021, 08:24:56 PM
I agree , the problem is that most nutters are not of these Isles

Really, Fred West, Harold Shipman.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 08:24:33 PM
You're not limp waisted, you're a Commy 😂
I know and it's terrible too :P

Seriously though I regard my country as my house or another's.

If as a guest in another's house I behave in a manner they find unacceptable then I cannot complain if asked to leave.

The same with my country if you come here as a refugee or whatever you are a guest,if you choose to engage in religious radicalisation,criminality or in some other serious way transgress then you should be told to leave

Should I ever visit an Islamic country I would not dream of mocking or ignoring their social mores the same should apply here.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 15, 2021, 08:00:37 PM
Which rather suggests that the real problem is not right nor left but nutters.

I agree , the problem is that most nutters are not of these Isles 

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 15, 2021, 08:22:28 PMbeing a limpwristed lefties what do I know?

You're not limp waisted, you're a Commy 😂

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2021, 08:15:22 PM
There is an element of that but the fact remains that the vast majority of Middle Eastern / East African culture just doesn't fit with ours. A single female on the streets alone is seen as fair game to be raped, life means nothing.
I was in an Amazon warehouse in Rugeley when 2 Somalians set the place on fire. They used to fill their pockets with stuff then smash the fire alarm break glass to set the alarm off, evacuate and throw it over the fence to their accomplices. Amazon put CCTV cameras at every break glass so they set the place on fire. They they got sent down for attempted murder.  This isn't a race or skin colour thing, it's purely a cultural incompatibility.
Yes Nick a culture that does not value human life,the worth of the female of the species and so much more.

Cultural nutters who with that attitude should be summarily deported.

I guess that notion won't be popular either but being a limpwristed lefties what do I know? :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 15, 2021, 08:00:37 PM
Which rather suggests that the real problem is not right nor left but nutters.

There is an element of that but the fact remains that the vast majority of Middle Eastern / East African culture just doesn't fit with ours. A single female on the streets alone is seen as fair game to be raped, life means nothing.
I was in an Amazon warehouse in Rugeley when 2 Somalians set the place on fire. They used to fill their pockets with stuff then smash the fire alarm break glass to set the alarm off, evacuate and throw it over the fence to their accomplices. Amazon put CCTV cameras at every break glass so they set the place on fire. They they got sent down for attempted murder.  This isn't a race or skin colour thing, it's purely a cultural incompatibility.