Boris caves in to the EU - is Carrie behind this?

Started by HallowedBrexit, November 01, 2021, 06:17:38 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 01:33:51 PMThe problem is far too many tourists, you cannot get a gallon into pint pot.
Are you not aware in spite of living there that Cornwall is one of the least densely populated counties in England? 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 06, 2021, 08:57:40 PM
I'll settle for getting a pint into a pint pot let alone a gallon
Same here mate. We are merely humouring pappy.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on November 06, 2021, 02:49:18 PM

Getting a gallon into a pint pot applies to the uk and the world as much as it does cornwall. 
I'll settle for getting a pint into a pint pot let alone a gallon 

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 01:33:51 PM
The problem is far too many tourists, you cannot get a gallon into pint pot.
:D

Too many tourists go hand in hand with too many people , yet in the other thread you moan about the government not letting hordes in to do unskilled jobs.

As i always say pappy , the fool you make of yourself at times trying to do contortions to attack the tories is laughable.

Getting a gallon into a pint pot applies to the uk and the world as much as it does cornwall. Get used to too many tourists as it aint going away.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 06, 2021, 01:02:23 PM
The problem is not too many tourists. 
The problem is far too many tourists, you cannot get a gallon into pint pot. There is very limited development of any kind allowed where I live by law. The area is surrounded by SSSIs and is also an Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The area where I live can handle a maximum of 6000 visitors per day. (That is a researched number arrived at by the local authority.) That rose to 23000 plus on many days causing absolute chaos.
The local infrastructure cannot handle that and neither can local business's. (Some of whom closed several times for the safety of their staff due to abusive tourists.)
Road accidents deaths rose by 400%. The local emergency services, many of whom are volunteers or retained were overwhelmed many times due to attempts at Darwin awards by tourists.
Local volunteers are still cleaning up the mess left by tourists and parts of the SSSIs will take ten years or more to recover from the damage done by illegal camping and other problems caused by tourist.
(That is just a few of the problems.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 12:42:03 PM
Cor Blimey  "better tourist season?"  There is widespread protest and a anger about the damage and disruption caused by far too many tourists this year.
I am fed up with people on this forum attacking me and ignoring the serious issues that have been been the the result of the far too many tourists the year, and the disgusting behaviour of far too many of them.
Due to air B and B, and holiday lets there was next to no long term rental left for the hospitality industry to operate properly because of staff shortages because staff had nowhere to live. (That is an ongoing problem.)
The situation is now so bad even the local Tory MPs are realising this will be an election issue.

Petition · Cap Local Rents, Raise Tax on Second Homes & Save Cornwall's precious coastal communities · Change.org

The problem is not too many tourists. It is too little infrastructure re housing for locals. Yes I know some tourists everywhere leave litter and whatnot. But trying to restrict their numbers to solve that is like cutting off your finger to stop it bleeding. As for housing for locals, we all know it is not helped by outsiders coming in and buying it up. You didn't do that, did you?

You need vastly more social housing and stop whats there being sold off to those happy to take a bung at the expense of future generations. Don't you agree? Or do you have skin in the game on that one too? What you also need is rent caps combined with security of tenure, higher taxes on second homes, and restrictions on the ability of landlords to convert to holiday lets. I know someone in Lostwithiel who has been given until January to move out because his landlord has worked out that he can make much more money by making it a holiday let.

But the problem here is not the tourists. The problem is a gross failure to look after the locals. Restricting business to protect locals rather than legislating to do so, is pure economic and social madness. Besides, how do you propose to limit the influx of tourists? Explaining that one might give us all a laugh.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 06, 2021, 12:22:20 PM

But the only Cornish people I ever hear moaning about a better tourist season than usual

FFS "better tourist season?"  There is widespread protest and a anger about the damage and disruption caused by far too many tourists this year.
I am fed up with people on this forum attacking me and ignoring the serious issues that have been been the the result of the far too many tourists the year, and the disgusting behaviour of far too many of them. 
Due to air B and B, and holiday lets there was next to no long term rental left for the hospitality industry to operate properly because of staff shortages because staff had nowhere to live. (That is an ongoing problem.)
The situation is now so bad even the local Tory MPs are realising this will be an election issue.

Petition · Cap Local Rents, Raise Tax on Second Homes & Save Cornwall's precious coastal communities · Change.org

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 11:56:33 AMEven the idiot in charge of Visit Cornwall now realises that:-
He is just playing to the gallery. After all, he needs the support of the Cornish in the end to keep his job.

But the only Cornish people I ever hear moaning about a better tourist season than usual due to all those staycationers, are those whose incomes do not depend upon it.

And anyone who thinks greater demand will lead to a collapse in prices clearly knows nothing about economics

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2021, 11:26:19 AM
That is the propaganda, the reality it tourism is of little to no benefit to the majority of people who live here.
In fact the clean up operation after mess and damage the tourists have done this year is costing local residents money.
The seasonal low paid jobs are useless to people who live here and any profit mainly goes back out of the county.
I am afraid you are letting your dislike of emmets - somewhat hypocritically after having migrated into the area yourself - colour your judgement. Yes tourist industry jobs are often low paid, but if they did not exist those doing them would become the no paid, and might well leave the area, which would depress the Cornish economy still further. And not everyone in the industry is low paid since - as with all industries - some rise up to managerial or supervisory positions, whilst others are self-employed and doing alright for themselves. And if you think a large influx of emmets coming in and spending money in your area is of no economic benefit at all, you are kidding yourself. Of course it is, and Cornwall would be much  poorer than it already is without it.

And the emmet pound does not simply get spent in tourist spots. It gets spent in the local supermarkets and the local garage forecourts, the local pubs and the lacal shops. How on earth you can conclude that more people spending more money in your local economy makes no difference - simply because you dislike them - is beyond me.

Looks to me like a case of believing what you want to believe, fueled by irritation, and safe in the knowledge that your own pension income is secure whatever happens to the local economy. I suspect that you'd regard a local depression as a price worth paying for your own peace and quiet. If you don't like the damned tourists, why did you choose to move to Cornwall? They were coming there long before you showed up, and will be doing so long after you have shuffled off this mortal realm.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 06, 2021, 11:14:54 AM
 The Cornish pretty much know that their local economy depends upon the emmets.
That is the propaganda, the reality it tourism is of little to no benefit to the majority of people who live here.
In fact the clean up operation after mess and damage the tourists have done this year is costing local residents money.
The seasonal low paid jobs are useless to people who live here and any profit mainly goes back out of the county.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2021, 04:57:48 PMDidn't see any animosity at all. 
That's because the Cornish are well practiced in recognising emmets. They just wanted your money. The vast majority offer a welcoming smile and friendly manner to incomers. Were this not so the emmets wouldn't come. The Cornish pretty much know that their local economy depends upon the emmets. Any moaning about you or any other emmet would be done behind your back out of earshot.

I don't doubt that the local pub let you bring your dog in. After all, like most Cornish businesses large and small, they would not let the presence of a dog deny them the chance to make some money out of an emmet. They just wanted your business. The more you come and the more you spend when you get there, the bigger will be your welcome. They'll still call you an emmet behind your back.

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on November 05, 2021, 08:31:49 AM
To be honest steve , i think all over the world , especially in tourist areas , the same attitude prevails .

locals always have a sort of love/hate relationship with tourists from my experience , love their cash , hate most of the rest that they bring.

Its laughable though some foreign incomer to cornwall bleating about other foreign incomers.
Strangely enough I didn't see any of it when I was on holiday. The pub let us bring the dog in, Tesco where kind enough to allow me to buy non-existent Oysters, even the harbour master let me launch my small fishing boat for a fiver. Didn't see any animosity at all.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

patman post

But shellfish were sold in the UK before the public lost their taste for them, and the industry looked elsewhere.

Markets can be made or revived — eg, Bok choi** wasn't even known a decade or so ago. Now it's sold at every food store offering fruit and veg round here...

**Yes I know it's not a fish — but it goes well with black bean and ginger steamed fish
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...