Principled or naive

Started by cromwell, December 04, 2021, 09:30:00 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on December 04, 2021, 08:14:20 PM
Well whatever the reason she was picked John and bear in mind I can't dance to save my life she does not play on her disability,definitely to the contrary.

It's not her. It's them.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 04, 2021, 05:34:14 PM
I'm guessing she's the token cripple handed automatic success for at least half the shows for this year ?
Well whatever the reason she was picked John and bear in mind I can't dance to save my life she does not play on her disability,definitely to the contrary.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 04, 2021, 06:10:10 PM
On a completely separate matter but related to your last point.

About six months ago Melissa was put into the ballet class that were preparing to go on point and in about three months at the rate she is progressing she will be off to Bristol to have her feet measured .....

It is also quite clear from her other antics she's starting to "notice" the boys in her school and in the musical theatre.

It is quite starkly apparent if they can't do a reasonable stab at Astaire's Top Hat numbers they have **NO** chance ....

There are three boys in Melissa's Ballet year / ability group and several more have recently joined.

Years ago I would have thought this utter lnacy.

I have since had the time to see the degree of sheer strength and stamina some of this stuff involves.
LOL I once taught 3 little brothers. Their mother was staunchly unisex with them and once came to me at the end of class to take me to task about giving her boys different exercises to the girls, thinking it unfair. I knew her well and she was herself in one of my adult classes, so I took pains to explain - 'Sue - when girls are expected to lift the boys I will most certainly do as you ask'. We both doubled up with laughter. 2 packed it in by secondary school, the other was with me til university took him away. I really had a soft spot for all 'my boys'and was fortunate to often have enough to have separate boys classes.

An example of strength was H. He was black with limbs on elastic and yet strength like no-one I had seen before. His party piece was press-ups on the knuckles of one hand with a girl of about 8 stone lying on his back. I stopped him at 25 simply because I wasn't sure what my insurance would make of it. Dancers of both sexes are real athletes but with a sensitivity for music and the art that is born not taught. They are rare. 

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 04, 2021, 06:20:47 PM
Ah well that's where things should come from. It's like there's a bloke whose name is in my phone's speed dial who is, not to.mess about, bent as a nine Bob note, but if your rackspace server crashes at 2am and you want it back before Lloyd's opens, hes who you should call. He is a laugh a minute, and openly proclaims he's only 73 per cent gay and the more he drinks the more he finds the women in the room attractive which pisses his husband off a bit...

I think he told me that in our sixth pint in the london gay bar after both of us had spent all bloody night in Canary wharfs sub sub sub basement fighting the servers whose hardware and software refused to play ball..... And Finally wrestled the damn system back into subservience with about 30 minutes to go ....

This was many years ago when the bars both gay and straight embraced 24 hour opening and rocking up at 6am with the intent of drinking until picking the glass up presented a challenge was no more an eye opener than anything else in that den of sin and iniquity

I pointed out that clearly the two of us were not that much different then and perhaps should call this our last and call a cab back to the hotel Barclays had found us both rooms in, lest we both end up being in debt to some of the many, many ladies of the night who frequented the area....
;D ;D

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2021, 06:04:40 PM
I can't really remember exactly when it started but it was before my husband died. He was a professional Ballroom and Latin dancer and teacher, I remember we looked in on the first series and he was particularly scathing. He was right of course and it has got so much worse over the years from the little bits I have come across. I have taught a lesbian couple in a class setting which was extremely interesting. I wondered how they would do it but they maintained their relative positions and were really lovely. I have also taught a straight girl who brought her gay male friend as partner. They were a laugh a minute and had us all in stitches each week. I had some great times and hope my students did too.

Ah well that's where things should come from. It's like there's a bloke whose name is in my phone's speed dial who is, not to.mess about, bent as a nine Bob note, but if your rackspace server crashes at 2am and you want it back before Lloyd's opens, hes who you should call. He is a laugh a minute, and openly proclaims he's only 73 per cent gay and the more he drinks the more he finds the women in the room attractive which pisses his husband off a bit...

I think he told me that in our sixth pint in the london gay bar after both of us had spent all bloody night in Canary wharfs sub sub sub basement fighting the servers whose hardware and software refused to play ball..... And Finally wrestled the damn system back into subservience with about 30 minutes to go ....

This was many years ago when the bars both gay and straight embraced 24 hour opening and rocking up at 6am with the intent of drinking until picking the glass up presented a challenge was no more an eye opener than anything else in that den of sin and iniquity

I pointed out that clearly the two of us were not that much different then and perhaps should call this our last and call a cab back to the hotel Barclays had found us both rooms in, lest we both end up being in debt to some of the many, many ladies of the night who frequented the area....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2021, 05:44:13 PM
I would hope that you are way off but suspect there could be some truth. I have only seen a small clip since I can't stand the programme but it reminded me of a deaf man who I taught Ballroom and Latin to many years ago. He 'felt' the music he said through the floor and his wife helped a little too but he was really quite successful. Enough anyway to make his wife happy who bless her loved to dance. I wish I had a £ from every unhappy wife who longed for her husband to dance with her. It's so sad that so many won't.

On a completely separate matter but related to your last point. 

About six months ago Melissa was put into the ballet class that were preparing to go on point and in about three months at the rate she is progressing she will be off to Bristol to have her feet measured .....

It is also quite clear from her other antics she's starting to "notice" the boys in her school and in the musical theatre.

It is quite starkly apparent if they can't do a reasonable stab at Astaire's Top Hat numbers they have **NO** chance ....

There are three boys in Melissa's Ballet year / ability group and several more have recently joined. 

Years ago I would have thought this utter lnacy.

I have since had the time to see the degree of sheer strength and stamina some of this stuff involves.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 04, 2021, 05:56:29 PM
I wish I was, but it is a fact the show has for some time been required by its woke masters to have the disability candidate and the political arse hole as staple beneficiaries of inclusivity and for the last three you can add one of nonstandard sexual behaviour too.

I'm sorry but i thought this show was about dancing. I USED to like it in an its early days because it reminded me of my parents who in about six months forty years ago went from having three left feet each to being quite the accomplished hoofers at the company social club balls and so on

I haven't watched it at all for several years now.
I can't really remember exactly when it started but it was before my husband died. He was a professional Ballroom and Latin dancer and teacher, I remember we looked in on the first series and he was particularly scathing. He was right of course and it has got so much worse over the years from the little bits I have come across. I have taught a lesbian couple in a class setting which was extremely interesting. I wondered how they would do it but they maintained their relative positions and were really lovely. I have also taught a straight girl who brought her gay male friend as partner. They were a laugh a minute and had us all in stitches each week. I had some great times and hope my students did too.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2021, 05:44:13 PM
I would hope that you are way off but suspect there could be some truth. I have only seen a small clip since I can't stand the programme but it reminded me of a deaf man who I taught Ballroom and Latin to many years ago. He 'felt' the music he said through the floor and his wife helped a little too but he was really quite successful. Enough anyway to make his wife happy who bless her loved to dance. I wish I had a £ from every unhappy wife who longed for her husband to dance with her. It's so sad that so many won't.

I wish I was, but it is a fact the show has for some time been required by its woke masters to have the disability candidate and the political arse hole as staple beneficiaries of inclusivity and for the last three you can add one of nonstandard sexual behaviour too.

I'm sorry but i thought this show was about dancing. I USED to like it in an its early days because it reminded me of my parents who in about six months forty years ago went from having three left feet each to being quite the accomplished hoofers at the company social club balls and so on 

I haven't watched it at all for several years now.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 04, 2021, 05:34:14 PM
I'm guessing she's the token cripple handed automatic success for at least half the shows for this year ?

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on December 04, 2021, 09:30:00 AM
My OH sits glued to Strictly every week,I was just reading a piece on Rose Ayling Ellis who my wife says is inspirational because she's deaf but performs so well despite not hearing the music properly.

She apparently has turned down a shedload of cash by refusing to be the face of specsavers who sell hearing aids she gets hers from nhs if true then principled which is rare these days.

I'm guessing she's the token cripple handed automatic success for at least half the shows for this year ?

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on December 04, 2021, 09:30:00 AM
My OH sits glued to Strictly every week,I was just reading a piece on Rose Ayling Ellis who my wife says is inspirational because she's deaf but performs so well despite not hearing the music properly.

She apparently has turned down a shedload of cash by refusing to be the face of specsavers who sell hearing aids she gets hers from nhs if true then principled which is rare these days.
I can see her point. It's a business, they might find fault with your hearing that might just be slight and not necessarily requiring aids. It's one thing to not be satisfied with NHS and go because there is a problem and you can't get any help. Even then I think it essential that there is a proper diagnosis and I am not sure of their expertise in that area. She possibly feels that since she herself does not use them it would be a bit hypocritical. Good for her.

cromwell

My OH sits glued to Strictly every week,I was just reading a piece on Rose Ayling Ellis who my wife says is inspirational because she's deaf but performs so well despite not hearing the music properly.

She apparently has turned down a shedload of cash by refusing to be the face of specsavers who sell hearing aids she gets hers from nhs if true then principled which is rare these days.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?