Does blasphemy matter?

Started by T00ts, December 05, 2021, 02:18:29 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on February 18, 2022, 11:15:20 PM
Where would you prefer to put that to the test?  Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan or Pakistan?

Also, with reference to the original post, I'm sure it would be possible to find some Christians who'd react violently to blasphemy. Certainly there have been throughout history.
I was referring to Blasphemy laws in England.

Yiu can blaspheme to your hearts content in Saudi as long as you have bribed the right Prince as part of your reason to be there. The other places you mention are stone age shitholes only a fool would venture into without having the Enola Gay's replacement soften it up a bit first.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 05, 2021, 05:53:32 PM
It isn't (wasn't) possible to blaspheme Allah or Yahweh (in spite of what Monty Python's script said)
Where would you prefer to put that to the test?  Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan or Pakistan?

Also, with reference to the original post, I'm sure it would be possible to find some Christians who'd react violently to blasphemy. Certainly there have been throughout history. 

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

People are allowed to use the swear words which they want to.
Any individual who wishes to avoid certain words, said in certain contexts, may do so.
What other people do does not affect my beliefs or salvation.

Current society finds different words offensive to those 50 years ago. Language evolves as do attitudes towards it.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2021, 02:18:29 PM
We often hear - Oh God! Jesus Christ! and such like as an exclamation often in ordinary conversation. It is rarely challenged although some of us wince, but what if it was replaced with say - Allah! Muhammad! or one of the Hindu gods. Would that be as accepted or would a Muslim/Hindu be more likely to pounce?

Drawings of Muhammad have brought severe repercussions both here and abroad. How many of us would exclaim Oh Allah! before a mundane following sentence about the weather say or the price of bread in front of a group just leaving Friday prayers? If not why aren't Christians allowed to be as sensitive?
There is no such thing as blasphemy in Hinduism , you are allowed to say whatever you like . Its more of an Abrahamic mind set where you must not question God or the scriptures .
Christianity has grown up somewhat though and some encourage questioning it in attempt to better understand it . That has led to Christians taking a more relaxed view of blasphemer's along with the acceptance of others beliefs .

Muslims on the other hand are a thousand years behind , nutters the lot of them  and we have to tip toe around them and their beliefs in attempt not to offend . 

Nick

We often hear - Oh God! Jesus Christ! and such like as an exclamation often in ordinary conversation. It is rarely challenged although some of us wince, but what if it was replaced with say - Allah! Muhammad! or one of the Hindu gods. Would that be as accepted or would a Muslim/Hindu be more likely to pounce?

Drawings of Muhammad have brought severe repercussions both here and abroad. How many of us would exclaim Oh Allah! before a mundane following sentence about the weather say or the price of bread in front of a group just leaving Friday prayers? If not why aren't Christians allowed to be as sensitive?
You can't expect people who don't believe, to respect the words like you do. 

Perhaps you need to be as smart as the LGBTQ community, who seem a dab hand at annexing words at will. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Don't forget that blasphemy was only applicable where the Christian faith was being blasphemed.

It isn't (wasn't) possible to blaspheme Allah or Yahweh (in spite of what Monty Python's script said)

Now, the best take I ever heard on this was from Ark Royal's Chaplain in that BBC series from ancient times, the one that used Rod Stewart's "sailing" as it's theme tune.

Speaking to the camera in full dog collar and uniform, and broadcast uncut without a single bleep, the chaplain said his biggest challenge was first to accept the fact that the ship was full of men whose normal greeting on seeing each other in a bar or on the street after a while was "hello you fucking wanker Jesus Christ I haven't seen you for months how the F@@@ are you ?" .....

And persuading them they were perfectly free to continue with almost all of that but there were two words that upset him a lot and they should find something else to replace them.....

And F@@@ me they did....

No. He didn't say that last line on screen.

His equivalent on Illustrious in the 80s did though. 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts