Queens Speech

Started by Churchill, December 19, 2019, 02:22:05 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

I nearly did as well , so much to take in at one go for me  :D
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

T00ts

Quote from: Churchill post_id=10697 time=1576775165 user_id=69
Its in this bit

Crackdown on spies by making the UK a 'hostile environment' for those who want to uncover government secrets or damage the national interest

Constitutional reform, from scrapping the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act and to review the role of the Supreme Court

Unless I interpreted it wrongly to me scrapping Fixed Term Parliament Act is on the table

Oooh yes sorry I missed that. In which case you look as if you are right. I can't see them going back to the old system of calling a GE when the government think they can win. Although with this majority anything can happen.

Churchill

Its in this bit

Crackdown on spies by making the UK a 'hostile environment' for those who want to uncover government secrets or damage the national interest

Constitutional reform, from scrapping the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act and to review the role of the Supreme Court

Unless I interpreted it wrongly to me scrapping Fixed Term Parliament Act is on the table
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

T00ts

Quote from: Churchill post_id=10692 time=1576773722 user_id=69
They are going to abolish the Fixed Term Parliament Act , don't know that much about it but as I understand it the PM of the day cannot call an election when they think it is advantageous to his or her party and themselves, now Parliament can call for a vote of no confidence in the PM and Government as before  

Unless I have misunderstood it

That's not in the Queen's speech is it? The way it stands at the moment 2/3 of MPs must agree to a GE, or it's 5 years. I heard mutterings of changing it but can it be repealed? I suppose a majority can do anything! Having said that BJ used another method before this GE was called but I can't remember what they called it but it didn't require the 2/3 majority. No doubt there's a whizz kid somewhere who will come up with the answer.

Churchill

They are going to abolish the Fixed Term Parliament Act , don't know that much about it but as I understand it the PM of the day cannot call an election when they think it is advantageous to his or her party and themselves, now Parliament can call for a vote of no confidence in the PM and Government as before  

Unless I have misunderstood it

Barry

Quote from: Churchill post_id=10688 time=1576772574 user_id=69
Yes they need to deliver or else they will be ousted

Yes, but not until 2024!

I think the Queen's speech looks as if it has some good points. I like the fact they intend to look at a review of the constitution, parliamentary procedures and the supreme court. The supreme court really does need to know its place in the pecking order. Is it above the Queen, above Parliament? That needs to be established.
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

Yes they need to deliver or else they will be ousted

T00ts

Quote from: Churchill post_id=10676 time=1576765325 user_id=69
What do you think of what is contained on it.

NHS Funding Bill: to lock in extra £33.9billion health spending over the next four years

Scrap hospital parking charges for the most ill Measures to scrap hospital car park charges for 'those in greatest need', including the disabled, parents of sick children staying overnight and staff working night shifts

End free movement: An end to freedom of movement and an Australian-style points-based immigration system to be roled out in 2021.

Fast-track visa system for medics with a job offer, to help boost nursing ranks by 50,000 and number of GPs by 6,000

Constitutional reform, from scrapping the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act and to review the role of the Supreme Court.

Medicine innovation: Legislation to make it easier for hospitals to manufacture and trial innovative medicines

Armed Forces protected: Amendments to Human Rights Act to protect Armed Forces veterans from malicious prosecutions

Workers' Rights Bill to ensure rights are 'protected and enhanced' after Brexit

Minimum Service Agreement Bill to force public sector unions to provide a skeleton service during strikes in essential services like the railways

Laws to prepare for life after Brexit - including measures to manage customs, agriculture and fishing. The Brexit department will be abolished after January 31

Strengthened Sentencing Bill to ensure minimum jail term of 14 years for adults convicted of serious terrorist offences

School 'funding guarantee' to provide increased resources in areas that lost out in past

New homes pledge: Build one million new homes over the parliament and do more to help first-time buyers as well as more protections for people who rent.

I like all of it, now he has a Government that can operate thanks to a good majority in the House, now get it done Boris

I think it is pretty conclusive as a starting point. I just hope that the current buoyant optimism doesn't wane and they don't take their eyes off the detail and possible unintended consequences that in the end makes so many good intentions ineffectual.

Churchill

What do you think of what is contained on it.

NHS Funding Bill: to lock in extra £33.9billion health spending over the next four years

Scrap hospital parking charges for the most ill Measures to scrap hospital car park charges for 'those in greatest need', including the disabled, parents of sick children staying overnight and staff working night shifts

End free movement: An end to freedom of movement and an Australian-style points-based immigration system to be roled out in 2021.

Fast-track visa system for medics with a job offer, to help boost nursing ranks by 50,000 and number of GPs by 6,000

Constitutional reform, from scrapping the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act and to review the role of the Supreme Court.

Medicine innovation: Legislation to make it easier for hospitals to manufacture and trial innovative medicines

Armed Forces protected: Amendments to Human Rights Act to protect Armed Forces veterans from malicious prosecutions

Workers' Rights Bill to ensure rights are 'protected and enhanced' after Brexit

Minimum Service Agreement Bill to force public sector unions to provide a skeleton service during strikes in essential services like the railways

Laws to prepare for life after Brexit - including measures to manage customs, agriculture and fishing. The Brexit department will be abolished after January 31

Strengthened Sentencing Bill to ensure minimum jail term of 14 years for adults convicted of serious terrorist offences

School 'funding guarantee' to provide increased resources in areas that lost out in past

New homes pledge: Build one million new homes over the parliament and do more to help first-time buyers as well as more protections for people who rent.

I like all of it, now he has a Government that can operate thanks to a good majority in the House, now get it done Boris