Looks like Boris is on his way out

Started by Borchester, December 12, 2021, 07:36:15 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on December 16, 2021, 08:49:05 AM
Keep voting for the same thing hoping for a different outcome is not very smart.
Whose hoping for a different outcome? I'm not. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on December 15, 2021, 10:56:07 PM
Only a few hours to go before the Borexit referendum in North Staffordshire. I've got some crisps, beer and chocolate ready.
Keep voting for the same thing hoping for a different outcome is not very smart.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

HDQQ

Only a few hours to go before the Borexit referendum in North Staffordshire. I've got some crisps, beer and chocolate ready.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking on December 15, 2021, 12:28:18 AM
Careful what you wish for Barry - Tugendoff is a weird pro Neo-con Nutjob, the sort that salivates at the prospect of cancelling Nordstream and watching the price of gas double again as it virtually did today just by the new German Foreign minister talking about it as an option...Butt Kick
I know. In fact, he annoys the hell out of me most of the time. He's a NIMBY as well - opposing more flights at Gatwick because of the noise. >:(
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 15, 2021, 10:17:57 AM
I've cut your post down to the two main issues

First, I have a question or three. How long has the moronic variant been around. How many are hospitalised and how many dead compared to say Feb 2020 in the wake of the first outbreak and 2021 ...

The answer is 9 people from teenage to geriatric are in hospital and one is dead. No idea why or which of them.

If these are typical of the infection pattern, then we are overacting stupidly. Catching the sniffle is unpleasant, the long Covid issues are frightening but if this variant is not reaping the numbers it's forerunners reaped, we are being conned.

To your second point, I agree. Bojos tenure continues as neither side have a better offer
But that wasn't my point. Deaths is another problem and as yet we don't have the info. All I am saying is that if it flies through my supermarket staff for example, the shop might have to shut til staff are fit to return particularly if too many are isolating. Multiply that up nationally. That's what I think they are fighting. It isn't all about deaths.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on December 15, 2021, 09:33:09 AM
This variant is much more infectious.

As yet I cannot see an obvious replacement for Boris.

I've cut your post down to the two main issues

First, I have a question or three. How long has the moronic variant been around. How many are hospitalised and how many dead compared to say Feb 2020 in the wake of the first outbreak and 2021 ...

The answer is 9 people from teenage to geriatric are in hospital and one is dead. No idea why or which of them.

If these are typical of the infection pattern, then we are overacting stupidly. Catching the sniffle is unpleasant, the long Covid issues are frightening but if this variant is not reaping the numbers it's forerunners reaped, we are being conned.

To your second point, I agree. Bojos tenure continues as neither side have a better offer

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Much as I feel that Boris is on his way I don't think the Conservatives as a whole are under the same judgement yet. We seem to be living through a time when majority rule itself is in question. The dissent last night with something like 99 backbenchers voting against the Government will, I think, hold some hope for the electorate. Having said that I think many are missing the point.

This variant is much more infectious. If we don't try to slow it down could it be that a lockdown will come quite naturally for no other reason that too many will be sick and unable to work thus forcing many businesses/services to close? Is that so far removed from a possibility? Isn't that the Government fear as much as hospital pressure alone? They are apparently emptying hospitals into hotels and care homes.

As yet I cannot see an obvious replacement for Boris. There is still a massive fear that a remainer given the job will try to take us back in to the EU. So although I can see some candidates who would fit the bill their remain past will not fit. I don't think the Brexit lobby will make it easy for a remainer to stand for leadership. 

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on December 15, 2021, 08:05:09 AM
Bottom line is john , uk fptp cosy two party politics is still breaking down. Johnson and the tories managed to stave off the decline for a few more years by jumping on the brexit bandwagon , but its clear the vast vast majority dont want either party , so its a race to the bottom while people hold noses and vote one to keep out the other.

People like good old , who champions the status quo and hopes for a return to blairite labour in government just can't see his own party are causing a large part of the rot.

Too many are focusing on johnsons antics and the anger of covid restrictions in england ( no different to scotland wales and europe as you know) while ignoring the bigger picture. The continuing implosion of the uk and its politics.

I see northern ireland have just had another poll out showing the  majority think ireland will be united in the near future too .
When it comes to a GE, Christmas party gate will be long gone and people still decide they don't want a Labour government that will always make the economy worse. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 15, 2021, 08:00:07 AM
Well, the key thing is, last month Boris was still able to rally his party's MPs to vote his way and preserve his majority.

Yesterday, that was not the case. What he wants is only in place because Opposition MPs chose to vote Aye not Nay.

That may give Starmer a chance for a joke or three but I doubt whoever replaced Cummings is laughing today
Bottom line is john , uk fptp cosy two party politics is still breaking down. Johnson and the tories managed to stave off the decline for a few more years by jumping on the brexit bandwagon , but its clear the vast vast majority dont want either party , so its a race to the bottom while people hold noses and vote one to keep out the other.

People like good old , who champions the status quo and hopes for a return to blairite labour in government just cant see his own party are causing a large part of the rot.

Too many are focusing on johnsons antics and the anger of covid restrictions in england ( no different to scotland wales and europe as you know) while ignoring the bigger picture. The continuing implosion of the uk and its politics.

I see northern ireland have just had another poll out showing the  majority think ireland will be united in the near future too .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

johnofgwent

Well, the key thing is, last month Boris was still able to rally his party's MPs to vote his way and preserve his majority.

Yesterday, that was not the case. What he wants is only in place because Opposition MPs chose to vote Aye not Nay.

That may give Starmer a chance for a joke or three but I doubt whoever replaced Cummings is laughing today

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 14, 2021, 11:53:50 PM
Well I reckon the rebels will topple Boris,the next election will see a lab lib coalition and we will be back in the eu in all but name and Bliar,Starmer and Thornberry will be soo happy.

We of course will be crapped on.
just to point out i have looked at latest polls , and the liberals are barely above parties like reform uk or the greens uk wide , respectively 7 /8 % each.

Also , no one talking about labours dismall performance in scotland where their apparent resurgence uk wide is not being mirrored in scotland. Latest poll has labour and tories  , general unionism losing every single seat to the snp.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on December 14, 2021, 11:53:50 PM
Well I reckon the rebels will topple Boris,the next election will see a lab lib coalition and we will be back in the eu in all but name and Bliar,Starmer and Thornberry will be soo happy.

We of course will be crapped on.
A lib lab coalition? I cant see enough lib democrats to make a coaltion. The numbers dont add up cromwell.

the liberals are a spent force sitting on the edge of modern politics , close to oblivion.

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on December 13, 2021, 12:58:33 PM
I'm expecting him to win at least one more general election.
I wouldnt be surprised.

Only a fool would dismiss johnson and the tories in general .

Labour are on 16 % in scotland , and a far cry from the days of the feeble fifty. They look to be struggling to hold onto their one seat in edinburgh.

Is the english north about to flock back to them depsite their anti demcoratic brexit behaviour? Im not sure. The evidence so far says no.

Again  , starmer and new labours appeal seems to be in the english south  among the pro european small c tories who flit between the right of labour and the conservative party. You cant win an election under the farce that is the uk fptp stitch up off the back off pissing on your voting base , losing them , and gaining a few tory southern marginals.

Its going to take more than sitting under that union flag for starmer to wipe the stain of anti democracy and pro europeanism over britishness in the minds of the english electorate who voted brexit.

Labour are a large part of the problem , not the solution.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2021, 10:53:59 PM
That list of so-called rebel MPs are probably the real conservatives.
Choose your next PM from that list. My MP Tom Tugendhat will be there. I pleaded with him to vote against this nonsense, and he did.
Careful what you wish for Barry - Tugendoff is a weird pro Neo-con Nutjob, the sort that salivates at the prospect of cancelling Nordstream and watching the price of gas double again as it virtually did today just by the new German Foreign minister talking about it as an option...Butt Kick