Main Menu

Djokovic deported

Started by Streetwalker, January 05, 2022, 11:17:45 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Barry on January 15, 2022, 11:49:00 AMAs with most other countries, logical thought has escaped the authorities.
Society only works if people conform to the rules, he hasn't so he's going home, and personally I'd route him through Spain and let them deal with his other breaches.
If this was one of us minions we'd be on the next flight home, or banged up for lying on a visa application.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

I have no strong opinion either way other than to say that Djokovic should be treated in exactly the same way as anyone else entering the country under existing Australian law. He should neither be treated more harshly because of who he is nor more leniently. I have sufficient wisdom not to have formed any strong opinion on whether or not either of those appears to be happening, because I have not followed this story in detail and lack sufficient knowledge of the facts either way to argue any firm conclusions.

If he is either deported or granted the right to stay - and if this decision is made fairly under Australian law - the rest of us should accept that unless we know enough about it to question the legality of the decision. Whatever the decision, if it results from the correct interpretation of Australian law, anyone who disagrees with the decision must by default think the law itself is wrong and should be altered, unless they can factually argue that the law itself was not administered correctly or fairly. If the law itself becomes the issue, then essentially that is a matter for the Australians and not really any of our business.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: Scott777 on January 15, 2022, 01:54:16 PM
Will they ban obese people, to stop bad diet?  Hmmm.  Boris is out.
well no scott, if an obese person dies with covid , its not a lifetimes eating chocolate cake and twenty bacon rolls for breakfast that has killed him , its those nasy anti vaxxers and the highly dangerous covid.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Barry

Quote from: Thomas on January 15, 2022, 01:14:41 PM

He is being made an example of pure and simple to teach the naughty boys and girls who wont take their medicine like mummy demands  a very big lesson. Cheered on by the usual suspects.
That is exactly right.
† The end is nigh †

Scott777

Quote from: Barry on January 15, 2022, 12:06:17 PM
the minister had justified his decision on the grounds that Mr Djokovic's presence [highlight]could whip up more anti-vaccination sentiment[/highlight] in Australia 

Will they ban obese people, to stop bad diet?  Hmmm.  Boris is out.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 12, 2022, 08:50:10 AM
Im going on about household settings because that is the only part of the Lancet report in question that suggests transmission is more or less the same regardless of vaccination status.
So where the vaccine is most needed , its least effective regarding transmission ,but where its least needed , its more effective? Is this the latest hill you are crawling onto to save face?
misrepresent my stand on Vaccinations .
I havent misrepresented you on anything. I have called you out on what i am reading in your posts. Misrepresentation isnt the problem , the problem appears to be your stance subtly changes as the argument develops .

QuoteMaybe you didn't read it in full
Well , for all my faults i obviously read it a wee bit better than you judging from your initial "insinuation" and subsequent climbdown on that insinuation when it was pointed out the link you posted didnt say what you appeared to think it said.
,In a Household setting .  Thats living with other people in the same house ,not  passing someone going to the bogs in the Dog and Duck
Well the pubs obviously a safe place , i mean they must have got it wrong when they closed them down in various lockdowns.

Like i said streetwalker , its desperate straw clutching.

Judging from some of the posts i have read on this thread , do some people not get utterly sick of falling for the same one trick pony propaganda schtick of demonising a carefully selected minority group that they are told are bad by the media and governments?

Today its anti vaxxers , yesterday , migrants , the day before benefit thieves. Im sure the french paddies and every other undesirable group are in there somewhere.

Djokovics situation isnt anything to do with public health , or rule breaking. Its all about politics pure and simple , and that is becoming apparent as the situation progresses.

He is being made an example of pure and simple to teach the naughty boys and girls who wont take thier medicine like mummy demands  a very big lesson. Cheered on by the usual suspects.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on January 15, 2022, 11:54:50 AM
TBF Baz he's being held now on a being a threat to public order not on having covid.

Like I said he has a huge following in Australia so the Establishment have pushed we had better panic and find other means to stamp our authority. They have put themselves in catch 22. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on January 15, 2022, 11:54:50 AM
TBF Baz he's being held now on a being a threat to public order not on having covid.
Not quite what the Telegraph report from the court transcript:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/15/novak-djokovic-latest-news-visa-hearing-appeal-court-australian/

Court documents released after an initial hearing in the Federal Court on Saturday showed the minister had justified his decision on the grounds that Mr Djokovic's presence [highlight]could whip up more anti-vaccination sentiment[/highlight] in Australia at a time that the country is in the midst of its worst outbreak of the virus.

"Although I ... accept that Mr Djokovic poses a negligible individual risk of transmitting COVID-19 to other persons, I nonetheless consider that his presence may be a risk to the health of the Australian community," Hawke said in a letter to Mr Djokovic and his legal team.

This explanation in Mr Djokovic's affidavit was more detailed than the brief statement Hawke released on Friday, saying his decision was based on "health and good order grounds".

They fear that he might upset their vaccine program, AND good order in the country. Actually, I think he just wants to play and win at tennis without falling over with heart failure.

† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on January 15, 2022, 11:49:00 AM
He's currently in a hotel with a load of asylum seekers as he constitutes a threat to Australia.
He arrived, free of the virus, but has been put into this hotel with 33 people being kept for quarantine. Those 33 people may well be a threat.
Djokovic is not.
As with most other countries, logical thought has escaped the authorities.

Funny thing is if you Google "Australian Tennis Players" the top results are Djokovic! ;D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

He's currently in a hotel with a load of asylum seekers as he constitutes a threat to Australia.
He arrived, free of the virus, but has been put into this hotel with 33 people being kept for quarantine. Those 33 people may well be a threat.
Djokovic is not.
As with most other countries, logical thought has escaped the authorities.

Funny thing is if you Google "Australian Tennis Players" the top results are Djokovic! ;D
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on January 14, 2022, 07:11:51 AM
Well that's it he's on his way out the Aussies have decided to award him the honourable order of the boot,something our country despite a lof of waffling spectacularly fails to do when required.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59991762
Looks like a vote winner , 83% of Aussies want him gone 

Pressure rises on Alex Hawke as 83% of Australians call for Novak Djokovic to be deported - Mirror Online

Not  sure this will be the end of the story , the Netflix film crew that have been following him around for the past couple of weeks might want a different ending 

cromwell

Well that's it he's on his way out the Aussies have decided to award him the honourable order of the boot,something our country despite a lof of waffling spectacularly fails to do when required.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59991762
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2022, 07:05:53 PM
Once again you disrespect the people who lost there lives to Covid.

For Christ's sake Nick, lighten up a bit and stop being so bloody pompous.

As has already been said, most of the fatalities have been oldies who were due to die of something anyway and in their case it was the Chinese Colliwobbles.

To cheer things up a bit, how about a small wager? You have had the pills and potions and jabs and lockdowns, but I am prepared to bet you that on the 18th of this month, the seven day fatality rate will reach 1700, which is a figure not seen since 2nd March 2021.

O.k?
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on January 13, 2022, 04:59:20 PM
Who refused to accept that?  We all know a cold can be a danger to elderly people.
Once again you disrespect the people who lost there lives to Covid. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2022, 02:56:08 PM
No I don't, I mean the people that refuse to accept that to some this is a very dangerous virus and that the vaccine reduces that danger to them.

Who refused to accept that?  We all know a cold can be a danger to elderly people.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.