Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 11, 2022, 10:20:11 AM
Cut down on the organochlorine baths for combatting warble fly and you might find things appear clearer...

I am thinking of cutting out the baths altogether. After all, we only get dirty again. I have tried to explain this to Madam, but she reckons that while I am indeed a dirty old man, there is no reason to make matters worse
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Cut down on the organochlorine baths for combatting warble fly and you might find things appear clearer...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on August 10, 2022, 04:15:35 PM
I recently got introduced to fly fishing — something I never thought I'd enjoy, but I did — and I'm wondering the size of trout I could get if they start to dine on giant dragonflies.

Apart from having to make these immense flies, if I do catch enough to feed the family for a few days, Mrs might forgive the hours spent away from her and the kids...

I dunno Pat, but putting yourself up as the voice of reason is amusing for now, until it isn't.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on August 10, 2022, 04:15:35 PMI recently got introduced to fly fishing
Is your real life name J R Hartley by any chance?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on August 10, 2022, 03:29:36 PM
I like to burn my waste and woodchip. Ideally I should compost it, but we have a couple of tame hippies on the allotment site and I do Like to see them choke and splutter from the fumes.

Bio fuels are fashionable and twee, but inefficient and polluting.

The best way to remove CO2 from the atmosphere is to grow cereals Then feed the grain to horses that will crap endlessly and produce the makings of mushroom beds. Mushroom produce oxygen, which we breathe, which is to the good. However, an excess of oxygen will also result in giant insects such as the dragonflies with their 70 cm wing spans. Unpleasant, but at least we will have something new to worry on.

:)
I recently got introduced to fly fishing — something I never thought I'd enjoy, but I did — and I'm wondering the size of trout I could get if they start to dine on giant dragonflies. 

Apart from having to make these immense flies, if I do catch enough to feed the family for a few days, Mrs might forgive the hours spent away from her and the kids...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 10, 2022, 02:23:52 PM
I don't disagree — but I don't totally agree either. The UK has coal and gas, the use of which could become more palatable to those against their use, if more effort were put into removing the nasties from them during production and burning.

Fracking seems OK on large land masses, as in the US — though, even there, some adverse consequences have been reported, such as ground tremors and water pollution. Fears of such happening in the UK need to be addressed.

Some industries manage to remove carbon and sulphur and other harmful emissions from burning coal, gas and oil. But we hear very little about such techniques for electricity generation — which does make me wonder if the renewables lobby in the UK is grabbing the lion's share of the effort and funding.

I know there are trials of wood-chip and waste conversion, but I've not seen any meaningful reports of the practical application of carbon scrubbers and if they could be used in fossil-fuelled power stations.

There are papers detailing schemes for sucking carbon out of the atmosphere — but even those admit the real problem is massive and global.

Here's an article that gives a reasonable report...

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210310-the-trillion-dollar-plan-to-capture-co2

I like to burn my waste and woodchip. Ideally I should compost it, but we have a couple of tame hippies on the allotment site and I do Like to see them choke and splutter from the fumes.

Bio fuels are fashionable and twee, but inefficient and polluting.

The best way to remove CO2 from the atmosphere is to grow cereals Then feed the grain to horses that will crap endlessly and produce the makings of mushroom beds. Mushroom produce oxygen, which we breathe, which is to the good. However, an excess of oxygen will also result in giant insects such as the dragonflies with their 70 cm wing spans. Unpleasant, but at least we will have something new to worry on.

:)
Algerie Francais !

Good old

Quote from: patman post on August 10, 2022, 02:23:52 PM
I don't disagree — but I don't totally agree either. The UK has coal and gas, the use of which could become more palatable to those against their use, if more effort were put into removing the nasties from them during production and burning.

Fracking seems OK on large land masses, as in the US — though, even there, some adverse consequences have been reported, such as ground tremors and water pollution. Fears of such happening in the UK need to be addressed.

Some industries manage to remove carbon and sulphur and other harmful emissions from burning coal, gas and oil. But we hear very little about such techniques for electricity generation — which does make me wonder if the renewables lobby in the UK is grabbing the lion's share of the effort and funding.

I know there are trials of wood-chip and waste conversion, but I've not seen any meaningful reports of the practical application of carbon scrubbers and if they could be used in fossil-fuelled power stations.

There are papers detailing schemes for sucking carbon out of the atmosphere — but even those admit the real problem is massive and global.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210310-the-trillion-dollar-plan-to-capture-co2

Wouldn't it be perfect if one or two new technologies could allow us to continue down the same old roads to hell.? The fact is that no matter what we do to save this planet from us , and us from home grown extinction, it has to be a joint effort, involving every nation in every corner of the planet acting in unison .
What we hear so often is ,if we do something here on this little island it will somehow save the whole frigging world Now if we came up with what amounts to mega air purifying plants , and sold them to every part of the world, maybe the U.K. might become great again, on the back of a new form of tec, revolution.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 10, 2022, 06:35:36 AM
Or they could just reverse their green ideology and use the 300 years worth of coal supply we are sitting on . Its not that we dont have a supply (plenty of shale gas as well ) its the political will to use it .

But of course making us all poorer , making us conscious of using less energy fits the de carbonisation project of the gone green governments of Europe . They have put reliance on renewable energy supplies that dont meet demand , the fuel shortage is a sign of things to come and until there is a change of direction from governments it will be here to stay .

srb7677

Or they could just reverse their green ideology and use the 300 years worth of coal supply we are sitting on . Its not that we dont have a supply (plenty of shale gas as well ) its the political will to use it .

But of course making us all poorer , making us conscious of using less energy fits the de carbonisation project of the gone green governments of Europe . They have put reliance on renewable energy supplies that dont meet demand , the fuel shortage is a sign of things to come and until there is a change of direction from governments it will be here to stay .
But if we keep pumping carbon into the air we are going to screw up the entire climate and ecosystem, which would in the end prove far more damaging. Or are you another climate change denialist?

The solution in the end has to be clean in terms of carbon output. We can have enough renewables once we have sufficient energy storage capacity. And we can build nuclear if necessary. And ought to be doing so.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

This crisis is engineered just like the last one and just like the next one, while you beg the people who engineered it to fix it. The point being if you keep voting for it, the Westminster party will keep doing it, their agenda only includes the plebs doing as they are told.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 09, 2022, 09:26:58 PM
The House of Commons could be a useful resource in the coming energy crisis. There is after all an abundant supply of hot air to be exploited.
And if we can figure out a good way to produce energy from bovine excrement, the Commons could surely produce enough to power a whole city.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 09, 2022, 09:33:59 PM
Now you see that's why we have so little respect for Government and Parliament. Why would anyone stand for election with such comments? Isn't it time to support those prepared to do the job, then we might improve the calibre.
Never in my lifetime has the average politician sunk so low in esteem and integrity.

Comments like mine - made in jest - are a response to that, not a cause of it.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 09, 2022, 10:14:29 PM
Once upon a time Toots, but these days it is cut and paste :)
You're an old rogue.....and proud of it. ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 09, 2022, 09:56:14 PM
You Sir are incorrigible! Can you stand up and recite that word perfect or is it a cut and paste?  ;D
Once upon a time Toots, but these days it is cut and paste :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 09, 2022, 09:50:09 PM
Too late for that I am afraid Barry

Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaffed, and swore
A drunken private of the Buffs
Who never looked before.
To-day, beneath the foeman's frown,
He stands in Elgin's place,
Ambassador from Britain's crown,
And type of all her race.
Poor, reckless, rude, low-born, untaught,
Bewildered, and alone,
A heart, with English instinct fraught,
He yet can call his own.
Ay, tear his body limb from limb,
Bring cord, or axe, or flame:
He only knows, that not through him
Shall England come to shame.

Far Kentish1 hop-fields round him seem'd
Like dreams, to come and go;
Bright leagues of cherry-blossom gleam'd
One sheet of living snow;
The smoke, above his father's door,
In grey soft eddyings hung:
Must he then watch it rise no more,
Doom'd by himself, so young?
Yes, honour calls! —with strength like steel
He put the vision by.
Let dusky Indians whine and kneel;
An English lad must die.
fs, or West Kent Regiment.
And thus, with eyes that would not shrink,
With knee to man unbent,
Unfaltering on its dreadful brink,
To his red grave he went.
Vain, mightiest fleets, of iron framed;
Vain, those all-shattering guns
Unless proud England keep, untamed,
The strong heart of her sons.
So, let his name through Europe ring—
A man of mean estate,
Who died, as firm as Sparta's king,
Because his soul was great.

George MacDonald Fraser, in Flashman and the Dragon, had Moyse (who rather than being a Kentish lad was actually a middle aged Irish soldier with a long history of insubordination), say, what, bow to a f**king Chink ! Never !

But this is a family forum, so possibly it is best that we go with Sir Francis Hastings Doyle's version :)
You Sir are incorrigible! Can you stand up and recite that word perfect or is it a cut and paste?  ;D