Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on February 04, 2022, 09:34:17 AM
We're fortunate enough to be able to pay the higher energy prices.
It isn't just energy prices.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

We're fortunate enough to be able to pay the higher energy prices. We've never been extravagant in our energy consumption so there isn't much we can cut back on without becoming uncomfortable.

There's not much we can do about the rising price of imported gas. Britain has made good progress in the transition to renewables but we're still reliant on gas to make up the shortfall. Last year 35.9% of our electricity came from renewables - mainly wind and solar.  In a few years that will probably double to 70% or even more with the deployment of grid-scale battery storage.
Gas has been cheaper than electricity for central heating but that might be different with the big price rises. If electric heating does become the cheapest (and cleanest) option, there's still the inertia of change - i.e. people won't want to pay out a lot of money to change a their heating system while it still works well, even if it costs more to run.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM
I have to assume as there is no thread on the subject on the cost of energy and the cost of living crisis. (Which is why I have started one.) That you are all rich enough not to be harmed by them.
If only, lol. For my part I do not often start threads but simply respond to existing ones that catch my eye.

But I do have a lot to say on this subject but insufficient time to say it right now because long day at work ahead, Either later tonight or maybe tomorrow I will be back.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

I have to assume as there is no thread on the subject on the cost of energy and the cost of living crisis. (Which is why I have started one.) That you are all rich enough not to be harmed by them.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe