There is a Scottish word that means you are not all there

Started by Borchester, February 07, 2022, 11:59:27 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: morayloon on February 17, 2022, 11:09:02 PM
'Whiskey'? I assume it was Irish or maybe American stuff he was drinking?  ;D
Ooh you old Scottish pedant you,mind you you're right scotch is whisky. :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

morayloon

Quote from: Thomas on February 08, 2022, 04:22:18 PM
Borkie , when my auld man was alive he used to drink in a govan dockers pub. I was going in that pub (havent been in there in years) from when i was a wee wean.

I remember sitting in there wae my brother and auld man ( he was having a quick whiskey) while we had a can of coke , and the place absolutely heavin . Packed to the rafters.

As soon as a woman walked in , the whole place would go silent and everyone would turn round and stare. Normally it was because some woman was going in to give her auld man a total bollocking . :D 

My grandpa (maternal) used to go in and have a whiskey wae my dad ( what dae ye want in yer whisky ? Mair whiskey!) and the barman used to call him an auld fenian barsteward.

Borkie this was only in the last thirty years.:D  My mate married a german lassie and i mind she was in shock woman were frowned upon going into certain west coast pubs , even in places like Ayr.

'Whiskey'? I assume it was Irish or maybe American stuff he was drinking?  ;D

Barry

Interesting thread. I've added several words to my vocabulary to use as either insults or compliments, according to whether I'm smiling or throwing a beer glass at them.
This forum never stops giving.
;D
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on February 08, 2022, 04:22:18 PM
Borkie , when my auld man was alive he used to drink in a govan dockers pub. I was going in that pub (havent been in there in years) from when i was a wee wean.

I remember sitting in there wae my brother and auld man ( he was having a quick whiskey) while we had a can of coke , and the place absolutely heavin . Packed to the rafters.

As soon as a woman walked in , the whole place would go silent and everyone would turn round and stare. Normally it was because some woman was going in to give her auld man a total bollocking . :D 

My grandpa (maternal) used to go in and have a whiskey wae my dad ( what dae ye want in yer whisky ? Mair whiskey!) and the barman used to call him an auld fenian barsteward.

Borkie this was only in the last thirty years.:D  My mate married a german lassie and i mind she was in shock woman were frowned upon going into certain west coast pubs , even in places like Ayr.

There were plenty of women in pubs when I was a lad, but whereas the air was usually blue, when a lass entered someone would say 'ware woman, and the speech would become strangely stilted. This was because two out of every three words were obscene and grown men would struggle for a bit before exclaiming, gosh, corks, well, I will go sit at the foot of our stairs etc.:):)
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 08, 2022, 04:13:46 PM
That is true. I remember being in a Glasgow pub where everyone was happily calling each other C**ts and the general feeling was that folk were indulging in a little droll banter. Then someone called one of the women a cow. Jesus, you would have thought the Pope had been made captain of Rangers...

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on February 08, 2022, 03:56:33 PM
Well in glesga streetwalker , a C * n * can be an insult or a term of endearment.

That is true. I remember being in a Glasgow pub where everyone was happily calling each other cunts and the general feeling was that folk were indulging in a little droll banter. Then someone called one of the women a cow. Jesus, you would have thought the Pope had been made captain of Rangers...
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 08, 2022, 07:46:53 AM
Ive found over the years with Scots people that they just make it up as they go along . Throwing an insult is therefore quite unique to the individual and often more funny than offensive . ;D
Well in glesga streetwalker , a C * n * can be an insult or a term of endearment.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 07, 2022, 11:59:27 PM
A friend keeps using it on me, but while she is first class on the insults, she is not so good on the spelling. It sounds something like galik and may be local to the borders, although knowing the border Scots, they probably stole it from somewhere else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Glaikit.

I pronounce it " Ghlay - Khut".

Its a west coast word borkie , im no sure morayloon would use it.

Im sure you know scotland has different dialects and accents same as England. All sorts of different words are used depending on the area. As pappy has said , another auld word is Amadan , eejit , dafty , bampot and loads more.

To be honest borkie , a lot of auld words now are dying out and no longer in use. A lot of the younger wans are becoming americanised. The difference between words in use say from my grandparent generation , to mine , to my kids and younger relations is unbelievable.

West coasters ( of the central belt) use for example "weans" when talking about children , east coasters use "bairns".

Glaswegians will say "how" when they mean why , edinburgh chavvies will say "ye ken" for do you understand , and fack knows what language morayloons lot speak but i know i can barely understand them when they say "fit like ye loon.

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:39:23 AM
amadan?

It does not sound quite right, but maybe it is better, so I will use it.

Many thanks Pappy.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on February 08, 2022, 11:34:13 AM
I don't take offence. My friend is an aristocrat from the Scottish borders and her language would take the paint off walls, if they had any, which they don't because Scottish aristocrats from the borders tend to be as cheap as chips.

But I would like to know the correct spelling of galik.
Mong 

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 08, 2022, 07:46:53 AM
Ive found over the years with Scots people that they just make it up as they go along . Throwing an insult is therefore quite unique to the individual and often more funny than offensive . ;D

I don't take offence. My friend is an aristocrat from the Scottish borders and her language would take the paint off walls, if they had any, which they don't because Scottish aristocrats from the borders tend to be as cheap as chips.

But I would like to know the correct spelling of galik.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on February 07, 2022, 11:59:27 PM
A friend keeps using it on me, but while she is first class on the insults, she is not so good on the spelling. It sounds something like galik and may be local to the borders, although knowing the border Scots, they probably stole it from somewhere else.

Ive found over the years with Scots people that they just make it up as they go along . Throwing an insult is therefore quite unique to the individual and often more funny than offensive . ;D

Borchester

Algerie Francais !