Cressida Dick resigns

Started by Barry, February 10, 2022, 07:24:51 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 11, 2022, 01:24:56 PM
Perhaps you would tell us why you wouldn't go to London for a bet?
I don't like any town or city, I don't like crowds. London was bad enough in the 1970s it is far worse now.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 11:32:46 AM
Melanie Phillips needs being pilloried.
Perhaps you would tell us why you wouldn't go to London for a bet?
Is it anything to do with the knifings, the drug gangs, or something else? Not that I want to make it about you. As if.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Apart from its location on the map, why would anyone think London is still part of the rest of the country? 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Perhaps Dick should have resigned given the bad press over the MET recently. But I do laugh at the BBC for getting on campaigners who are feminist or gay and then giving them a platform to rant, hearing them ripping into Dick for not tackling Misogyny or hate crimes seriously when I suspect she understands those issues more than most and what is needed to tackle it. Don't get me wrong, I suspect there is a culture in the MET of these things happening given you find them in society. But like society it would be a minor issue and could be sorted out with education, a whistle blower phone line and a robust punishment for offenders. I don't know what Khan was expecting, but clearly he doesn't know what he is talking about and merely playing politics. But he is in for a rude awaking. Or not him, the next commissioner is I should say. If you demand the impossible and genuinely believe the MET has a culture of hate, you are going to be making police officers jobs very hard indeed and I suspect many will just quit causing the already police recruitment shortfall even shorter.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 11, 2022, 11:18:28 AM
I thanked that post, but wonder about the "Christian" bit.
The general idea stands though. Melanie Phillips "Londonistan" was pilloried. She was right though.
Melanie Phillips needs being pilloried.

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking on February 11, 2022, 10:55:54 AM
Ohh lets see that headline we would love to see but never Will

"Brown Muslim Man harasses White Christian Woman out of office in her own country!"
I thanked that post, but wonder about the "Christian" bit.
The general idea stands though. Melanie Phillips "Londonistan" was pilloried. She was right though.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on February 11, 2022, 08:22:39 AM
For Khan - which is typical of all politicians - it is at heart a political judgement designed to curry favour by responding to the public mood. He knows that his own electorate have become deeply concerned about the Met and have uttely lost confidence in Dick and think she should have gone already. This step is designed to curry favour for himself by removing her as well as addressing the "something must be done" mood. Also, he probably genuinely wants the Met to clean up it's act, and for himself to be the one seen to have been decisive in initiating change, again because that will garner support for him personally if the change is successful, whilst blame can be offloaded onto the Met itself if it is not.

We should not dismiss more noble motives either though. Since he himself hails from an ethnic minority and no doubt includes many others amongst his personal aquaintances, and no doubt like most people has a number of close female loved ones, he is likely to have been as disturbed as many people by the innappropriate attitudes and thinking revealed amongst some in the Met.

It is often the case with politicians of all stripes that political calculations and some desire to address real concerns go hand in hand.

The problem with those "noble motives" younallude to are the race card trump games played by people like this chap..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16979424

And this upstanding member of the upper echelons 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1032010/Hes-liar-cheat-coward-says-police-chief-Tarique-Ghaffurs-wife.html

In short, while Saddo would like you to think only white skin is capable of racism, criminality and corruption, the facts are slightly set against him
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sampanviking

Ohh lets see that headline we would love to see but never Will

"Brown Muslim Man harasses White Christian Woman out of office in her own country!"

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on February 11, 2022, 08:48:43 AM
Im not too clued up on the inner working of the english mayor borkie , and their powers , but i did  see today that red ken livingstone was saying he is appalled that saddo has driven out cressida dick in this way and that he thought she was a good commisioner?

Poor auld saddo doesnt appear to be terribly popular among either englands left or right does he?

The trouble is Tommy, we were spoiled by Johnson. Boris was horrible, but fun. And he fought battles he could win. Poor old Saddo gets involved in half arsed disputes and blames everyone else when they go wrong.

He should have stayed as a bus driver. :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

The way I read this is that Cressida performed and presented well in the corridors of power and therefore held her position. Khan on the other hand is only too aware of how many Londoners view him. Surely this has to be a purely political move by a failing little man against a perceived easy target in order to collect Brownie points presumably with Labour's blessing. By all accounts he has slipped up by not informing those that he should have done before the act. 

I can't help thinking that there has been a lot of quiet negotiations in those corridors of power over the last weeks and months.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 10, 2022, 07:46:40 PM

It comes so soon after she sent out those questionnaires to 50 staff over Partygate, too.
"She" didn't. the officer in charge of the partygate did, DAC Jane Connors.

HDQQ

Cressida Dick resigned with no apparent fuss, after the London mayor expressed a lack of confidence in her. Yet Boris Johnson, who has let his party and the country down and whose only leadership quality is a loud voice, is still in office.  The only good things about Johnson remaining in office are 1) that his successor might well be worse, as in more right-wing and 2) every day he stays on reduces the popularity of the Tory party.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 10, 2022, 10:54:10 PM
Or Sadiq Khan who is her boss and has never knowingly taken responsibility for anything.

Not much of a victory for Saddo. Dick is 61, so was coming up for retirement anyway
Im not too clued up on the inner working of the english mayor borkie , and their powers , but i did  see today that red ken livingstone was saying he is appalled that saddo has driven out cressida dick in this way and that he thought she was a good commisioner?

Poor auld saddo doesnt appear to be terribly popular among either englands left or right does he?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 11, 2022, 07:23:03 AM
I genuinely don't understand what's going on. I can't for the life of me see how Saddo Khan't can possibly benefit here.

Unless he's managed to find David Lammy's and Diane Abbott's love child and persuaded THEM to take the job.

I mean it's not like she's shot any innocent Brazilians lately

In fact the only thing she's done recently is screwed the plot to throw Boris in the Thames by demanding the Met take over Sue Gray's report and thereby destroy the head of steam and momentum ..........
For Khan - which is typical of all politicians - it is at heart a political judgement designed to curry favour by responding to the public mood. He knows that his own electorate have become deeply concerned about the Met and have uttely lost confidence in Dick and think she should have gone already. This step is designed to curry favour for himself by removing her as well as addressing the "something must be done" mood. Also, he probably genuinely wants the Met to clean up it's act, and for himself to be the one seen to have been decisive in initiating change, again because that will garner support for him personally if the change is successful, whilst blame can be offloaded onto the Met itself if it is not.

We should not dismiss more noble motives either though. Since he himself hails from an ethnic minority and no doubt includes many others amongst his personal aquaintances, and no doubt like most people has a number of close female loved ones, he is likely to have been as disturbed as many people by the innappropriate attitudes and thinking revealed amongst some in the Met.

It is often the case with politicians of all stripes that political calculations and some desire to address real concerns go hand in hand.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Frankly it is not the leadership that is the problem with the police and not just the met. So many dodgy people have been let into the police, every police officer needs to be fully vetted by the security services and GCHQ.