EU report claims Brits 'didn't know what they were doing' when voting for Brexit

Started by Thomas, February 18, 2022, 11:25:59 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 09:58:58 AM
Just left, so stayed in legal agreements with the EU, with ECJ oversight, a legal means for the EU to take action against the UK, recognised worldwide. Yep that prob is what you would do.
Art 50 is the walk away solution. It is the cutting of UE law, you issue Art50 and walk away, no more discussion, no deals, just walk.

Remember it was the UK that asked for more than one extension, so what you would do and your elected reps would do are two different things.
You have no clue what you're talking about. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 10:39:52 AM
Thats taken care of under Art50. The UK could have triggered Art 50 and just moved on
The only people trapping the UK into the EU is the UK. The UK proposed the NI protocol, binding a part of the UK to the EU. The UK asked for extensions, the EU never did.
I was referring to the invasion of immigrants that Farage was predicting, that never happened and never was going to happen, nobody was talking about military invasion. The EU did go into a political alliance, going back to '63. That road has been very bumpy and to suggest turkey was about to join was beyond exaggeration. You think people in the EU listen to what Farage says :D :D
Your right he did distance himself from the claim, after the vote. He wasn't so vocal before hand.

No we don't have an EU army. Full stop. Like the bus, it was used to tap into a section of the UK that would be strongly against the EU having such a powerful arm.  I still don't see the objections, lets face it single countries with powerful armies have proven to be a force for evil down through the years, having shared armies would seem a far better solution.
For fecks sake Gerry leaving under art 50 tied us to the EU before we had even left . It led to the WA ,the NI protocol and left us under European courts . You asked me what UKIP would have done ,i told you and your reply is ''The UK could have triggered art 50 and moved on '' Moved on to what ?  The same as what we have got ,a fecking balls up .

Your talking shite about Farage ,you dont know what he said and when he said it , your timeline is like a fecking episode of the time tunnel .

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 10:08:00 AM
First their was never 350m a week, because the UK never paid 350m a week, that was a lie, gasp, a UK politician lying ! It was more in the region of 250m paid in, remember...
https://fullfact.org/europe/350-million-week-boris-johnson-statistics-authority-misuse/

But the reality after leaving, instead of a 350 windfall, it turned out to be a LOSS per week of between 400m and 800m per week, that's a swing of 750m to say 1billion a week.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-cost-trade-eu-b1843018.html

You say there was more given, can you show that ?

Bullshit.

There WAS a £350m a week because that was the gross figure before the rebate. The figures your side bullshitted however ....

But the figure was set by a demented SPAD who was sod all to do with Boris, at a time Boris was a fence sitting remoaner.

That Boris did not change the number when he hopped up onto the bus after it had started going round was a fact I threw at him the moment he stepped off the bus in Ross On Wye. His admission the deed had been done and it was what it was made it to Newsnight, sadly by they clipped my return that his failure to correct the lie made him remains greatest asset.

But the fact is it was NOT his lie. The arse who came up.with it was quietly thrown off the bus, metaphorically speaking... He rocked up to my client, later employer, to try and earn a crust in my line of work, and failed at that endeavour miserably.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 22, 2022, 10:03:48 AMWe have been over this a million times Gerry . UKIP proposed to leave the EU by repealing the 1972 communities act which would have got us out within weeks of the referendum vote . They saw the article 50 route as a trap to keep us in .  They were not wrong .
Thats taken care of under Art50. The UK could have triggered Art 50 and just moved on
The only people trapping the UK into the EU is the UK. The UK proposed the NI protocol, binding a part of the UK to the EU. The UK asked for extensions, the EU never did.

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 22, 2022, 10:03:48 AMNobody said there would be an invasion from Turkey . The EU were bending over backwards to keep Turkey on side during the refugee crisis in Syria and were talking about fast tracking EU membership and immediate visas for Turkish people in return for keeping the refugees in Turkey . Farage commented that going into a political alliance with Turkey was a mistake not to mention opening the door to millions of migrants . In the end talks broke down and it didn't happen , maybe the warnings were heeded
I was referring to the invasion of immigrants that Farage was predicting, that never happened and never was going to happen, nobody was talking about military invasion. The EU did go into a political alliance, going back to '63. That road has been very bumpy and to suggest turkey was about to join was beyond exaggeration. You think people in the EU listen to what Farage says :D :D

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 22, 2022, 10:03:48 AMThe bus had nothing to do with Farage , in fact he said it was something he would not have done . You seem to be confused with regard who ran the leave campaign .
Your right he did distance himself from the claim, after the vote. He wasn't so vocal before hand.

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 22, 2022, 10:03:48 AMThe EU army has been debated in the EU Parliament ,promoted by EU leaders . We have a European defence agency ,we have EU battlegroups ,an EU navy attempting to control Somalian pirates not to mention 'Eurocops ' goose stepping the ring of shite flag around the court yards of Brussels . But no we haven't any official EU army , but ..................

No we don't have an EU army. Full stop. Like the bus, it was used to tap into a section of the UK that would be strongly against the EU having such a powerful arm.  I still don't see the objections, lets face it single countries with powerful armies have proven to be a force for evil down through the years, having shared armies would seem a far better solution.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 22, 2022, 09:27:09 AM
Correct, there was more given than that but you still keep issuing soundbites.
First their was never 350m a week, because the UK never paid 350m a week, that was a lie, gasp, a UK politician lying ! It was more in the region of 250m paid in, remember...
https://fullfact.org/europe/350-million-week-boris-johnson-statistics-authority-misuse/

But the reality after leaving, instead of a 350 windfall, it turned out to be a LOSS per week of between 400m and 800m per week, that's a swing of 750m to say 1billion a week. 
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-cost-trade-eu-b1843018.html

You say there was more given, can you show that ?

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 09:05:01 AM
What do you think he would have done differently. What would have made Brexit better.

By becoming a MEP, never seldom showing up and when he did all he did was make noise, he did run away. He could have continued to campaign for the Brexit he wanted, used his influence to steer the govt, he didn't because all he had was untruths, there was no invasion from Turkey, there was no 350m a week, no EU army....
We have been over this a million times Gerry . UKIP proposed to leave the EU by repealing the 1972 communities act which would have got us out within weeks of the referendum vote . They saw the article 50 route as a trap to keep us in .  They were not wrong . 

Nobody said there would be an invasion from Turkey . The EU were bending over backwards to keep Turkey on side during the refugee crisis in Syria and were talking about fast tracking EU membership and immediate visas for Turkish people in return for keeping the refugees in Turkey . Farage commented that going into a political alliance with Turkey was a mistake not to mention opening the door to millions of migrants . In the end talks broke down and it didn't happen , maybe the warnings were heeded 

The bus had nothing to do with Farage , in fact he said it was something he would not have done . You seem to be confused with regard who ran the leave campaign . 

The EU army has been debated in the EU Parliament ,promoted by EU leaders . We have a European defence agency ,we have EU battlegroups ,an EU navy attempting to control Somalian pirates not to mention 'Eurocops ' goose stepping the ring of shite flag around the court yards of Brussels . But no we haven't any official EU army , but ..................

Sheepy

As a former MEP, I know how much the EU has destabilised Ukraine — RT World News

Anyway, enough of the alternative realities, the facts of the matter and stop telling us what we think and don't think, you morons. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 22, 2022, 09:25:04 AM
He would have just left: none of this article 50 crap, we would have just walked and just unraveled our selves from EU law.
Just left, so stayed in legal agreements with the EU, with ECJ oversight, a legal means for the EU to take action against the UK, recognised worldwide. Yep that prob is what you would do.
Art 50 is the walk away solution. It is the cutting of UE law, you issue Art50 and walk away, no more discussion, no deals, just walk.

Remember it was the UK that asked for more than one extension, so what you would do and your elected reps would do are two different things.

Nick

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 09:05:01 AMWhat do you think he would have done differently.
He would have just left: none of this article 50 crap, we would have just walked and just unraveled our selves from EU law.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 09:05:01 AMthere was no invasion from Turkey, there was no 350m a week, no EU army.
I know and I bet the EU are furious, but then on the brightside for you we still got an invasion from them. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 22, 2022, 08:21:21 AM
Yes we do disagree , all you have done here is repeat the other post .
The bottom line is if Farage had been in charge of Brexit he would have delivered a Brexit worth having . He wasn't so couldn't do much but he did his best to push the conservatives in the right direction .

Rather than run away he formed a new party , The Brexit Party which went on to win the most votes in the 2019 European elections with 32% of the vote . The Tories got 9% .  The Brexit party became the biggest party from any country in the European Parliament . That vote demanded that Farage should lead the Brexit negotiations but again he and the peoples vote was ignored by the Government.

So much for removing himself from the situation
What do you think he would have done differently. What would have made Brexit better.

By becoming a MEP, never seldom showing up and when he did all he did was make noise, he did run away. He could have continued to campaign for the Brexit he wanted, used his influence to steer the govt, he didn't because all he had was untruths, there was no invasion from Turkey, there was no 350m a week, no EU army....

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on February 21, 2022, 11:06:46 PM
I don't think we disagree, Farage wasn't an MP, he had no real power as you say be for the vote he had the ear of the people. He was very vocal regarding Immigration, bureaucrats, turkey joining, EU army. All the soundbites that resonated with a section of the community and he tapped into it. In fairness he played that hand well but most of his rhetoric, if not all was false, but that didn't seem to matter.
As soon as he won he ran, prob because he knew his he was lying through his teeth and that what people were promised couldn't be delivered. It's why people aren't happy with the deal, because it falls way short of expectations. What was promised could never be delivered. I don't see them as failing, more that they are figuring out that the deal they got was good, as good as it was ever going to be. High expectations being reset is what's happening. Maybe Farage is smart, maybe he knew this was coming so he removed himself from the situation.
But it wasn't, the job wasn't done. It hadn't even started. From 2016 there has been nothing but infighting and bicker then there was oven ready deals and now those very deals are intolerable. The UK is out but the Job is only starting, brexit is a 10 or 20yr work in progress, plenty of more twists and turns. Farage might return to the fold, but I doubt in any really serious position. He's mush happier shouting nonsense from the sideline that he can't be held account for.
Yes we do disagree , all you have done here is repeat the other post .
The bottom line is if Farage had been in charge of Brexit he would have delivered a Brexit worth having . He wasn't so couldn't do much but he did his best to push the conservatives in the right direction .

Rather than run away he formed a new party , The Brexit Party which went on to win the most votes in the 2019 European elections with 32% of the vote . The Tories got 9% .  The Brexit party became the biggest party from any country in the European Parliament . That vote demanded that Farage should lead the Brexit negotiations but again he and the peoples vote was ignored by the Government.

So much for removing himself from the situation 

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 21, 2022, 04:16:51 PM
Very articulate...ramblings there JOG.
Cameron was a very strong advocate for remaining in the EU, he lost and felt he couldn't in all honesty lead the country down a path of destruction and against his core beliefs. So he fell on his sword and stood aside to let the party select someone to carry out the brexit wish. This was a great result for Brexiters as Cameron could have stayed in power and did a "Johnson" and lied and cheated and delivered a BRINO. What would you have said if Cameron had threatened to step down if people didn't vote to remain, that would have been beyond stupid.

The man that ran away, Farage, the winner, stepped down as soon as he won. Who does that, tell the people to follow him in exiting the EU and and soon as they say yes, he's off. Nearly as bad as Johnson, who was very pro EU and the UK remining, that is until leave won and he quickly changed horses. 

Cameron stood by his convictions, Farage ran away and Johnson blew in the wind.
Would you show me where the U.K. is being destroyed? The U.K. economy is above pre-Covid levels, is the EU?

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 21, 2022, 06:39:00 PMSorry Gerry but you have that completely wrong . Farage led UKIP pressured the Conservatives into giving us the vote and that was about as far as it went .
The establishment gave the leave campaign to the Johnson led group not the Farage led one . 
Farage and UKIP had a plan , it was to leave the EU on our terms by repealing  the communities act not falling into the traps of article 50 .

The thinking being that outside the EU the UK would have a stronger hand in negotiating any deals . They were probably right . 
I don't think we disagree, Farage wasn't an MP, he had no real power as you say be for the vote he had the ear of the people. He was very vocal regarding Immigration, bureaucrats, turkey joining, EU army. All the soundbites that resonated with a section of the community and he tapped into it. In fairness he played that hand well but most of his rhetoric, if not all was false, but that didn't seem to matter.

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 21, 2022, 06:39:00 PMBut of course Farage was never in power or position to do this ,we had to rely on the conservatives to honour the vote  and get the job done which they have failed miserably in doing .
As soon as he won he ran, prob because he knew his he was lying through his teeth and that what people were promised couldn't be delivered. It's why people aren't happy with the deal, because it falls way short of expectations. What was promised could never be delivered. I don't see them as failing, more that they are figuring out that the deal they got was good, as good as it was ever going to be. High expectations being reset is what's happening. Maybe Farage is smart, maybe he knew this was coming so he removed himself from the situation.

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 21, 2022, 06:39:00 PMAs Thomas said it was job done on the 24th June 2016  but dont be surprised if he makes a comeback if this rabble of a government can't get their act together
But it wasn't, the job wasn't done. It hadn't even started. From 2016 there has been nothing but infighting and bickering, then there was oven ready deals and now those very deals are intolerable. The UK is out but the Job is only starting, brexit is a 10 or 20yr work in progress, plenty of more twists and turns. Farage might return to the fold, but I doubt in any really serious position. He's mush happier shouting nonsense from the sideline that he can't be held account for.