EU report claims Brits 'didn't know what they were doing' when voting for Brexit

Started by Thomas, February 18, 2022, 11:25:59 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2022, 01:55:20 PM
John Major threatened to dissolve the government if they didn't vote to join the EU. You have a very strange idea of what an option is.

So when did the UK get a vote on joining the EU?
When you voted in your govt.
Or do you think you get a say in all big decisions, did you get a vote on going to war with Argentina or invading Iraq or (enter anything here the govt decides on without a referendum). Over the past 100 yrs how many times has the UK people being asked to vote on a decision your elected Govt made ?  very very very seldom. You elect your Govt, they do a job, the UK freely joined.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on May 04, 2022, 02:46:04 PM
You are quite right. In fact, our Brexit officer-in-charge, Sir Nigel Farage has said that we need a "BREXIT 2", because BREXIT 1 has not really done the job. This is because it was planned by Remainer Tories under Theresa May who cooked up the oven ready deal that was a pointless load of tripe. Boris the idiot, implemented it!

So, never trust a Tory, and roll on BREXIT 2. Vote Brexit party.
To be fair isn't it possible that Boris had every intention of sorting all this out but they say a week in politics is a long time and here we are and the whole world has been in crisis with the pandemic, the Ukrainian invasion and now the resultant inflation? Boris should not have taken on May's agreement but then I'm not sure he had a lot of choice with Bercow and the opposition having a different agenda. The electorate was going crazy with all the delay so perhaps he took the best way to some sort of resolution assuming that time would be on his side. It's been a case since, of dealing with whatever has come to the top of the pile.  It hasn't been ideal but I think for now we have to be aware of the difficulties that have usurped Government. 

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on May 04, 2022, 02:56:36 PM
In other words, split the vote, put Sir Stodge into Number 10 and then rejoin the EU.
If that happened, the Tories would be to blame. Not the voters. They have an 80 majority and left NI in the EU.
If you think that's OK Borky, rock on.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on May 04, 2022, 02:46:04 PM

In other words, split the vote, put Sir Stodge into Number 10 and then rejoin the EU.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 12:43:17 PM
No I pointed out that one of the main reasons for Brexit was to "take back control", and that very much included your borders. But you haven't, so what's that all about ? either you want control or you don't ?

You are quite right. In fact, our Brexit officer-in-charge, Sir Nigel Farage has said that we need a "BREXIT 2", because BREXIT 1 has not really done the job. This is because it was planned by Remainer Tories under Theresa May who cooked up the oven ready deal that was a pointless load of tripe. Boris the idiot, implemented it!

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 01:36:21 PM
You freely joined the EEC and as it moved forward you participated in the changes, so much so the UK was instrumental in proposing many of those changes changes. If you didn't like the change you opted out, the UK had many, many opt outs. Until you decided to leave and go it alone. All freely made decisions. Twist that how you like, but facts are facts.
John Major threatened to dissolve the government if they didn't vote to join the EU. You have a very strange idea of what an option is.

So when did the UK get a vote on joining the EU?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2022, 01:31:57 PM
You're just showing your utter ignorance Gerry.

We joined the COMMON MARKET, a trading partnership, not a political monster. [highlight]The EU was formed in 1993 Butt Kick[/highlight]
You freely joined the EEC and as it moved forward you participated in the changes, so much so the UK was instrumental in proposing many of those changes changes. If you didn't like the change you opted out, the UK had many, many opt outs. Until you decided to leave and go it alone. All freely made decisions. Twist that how you like, but facts are facts.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 01:31:00 PM
Have you numbers on that, i.e. how many refugees does the UK take v the EU ?  you might be surprised.
The EU took 2 million, and again, Germany didn't give anyone a choice, Merkel just let them in regardless of their terrorist status.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 12:49:51 PM
You most certainly did join voluntarily, the UK asked repeatedly to join. [highlight]You first looked to join in '63, then '67 and you were admitted in '73.[/highlight] If you personally don't like that your ruling class controls your country, then do something about it. If the people of the UK were against it they had 10 yrs to do something about it.
You're just showing your utter ignorance Gerry.

We joined the COMMON MARKET, a trading partnership, not a political monster. [highlight]The EU was formed in 1993 Butt Kick[/highlight]

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on May 04, 2022, 12:55:37 PM
And how successful Brexit has been in that the refugees head for the UK rather than remain in the EU
Have you numbers on that, i.e. how many refugees does the UK take v the EU ?  you might be surprised.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2022, 12:53:49 PM
We can see how much the EU controls it's borders by the number of refugees that come straight across and get into boats heading to the UK.
And why would they stop them ? there isn't an agreement between the EU and UK regarding refugees. It's not what the EU does, it's what the UK is planning to do.

Again that's just whataboutery, the topic is about what the UK is doing regarding Brexit, we now know that "taking back control" had nothing to do with actually controlling your borders. Now I didn't know that, did you ?  is that what you voted for "we want to take back control...so we have totally open borders"

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2022, 12:53:49 PM
We can see how much the EU controls it's borders by the number of refugees that come straight across and get into boats heading to the UK.

And how successful Brexit has been in that the refugees head for the UK rather than remain in the EU
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 12:43:17 PM
No I pointed out that one of the main reasons for Brexit was to "take back control", and that very much included your borders. But you haven't, so what's that all about ? either you want control or you don't ?

The EU, as it includes a lot of countries buy their Oil/Gas from Russia, since this started that picture has changed. The EU has now said it will be free from Russian Oil by the end of the YR, that's a massive move. Including more sanctions on Banks  https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/eu-proposes-complete-ban-on-russian-oil-imports-within-six-months/
Now can you explain what the UK is doing regarding the oligarchs in London and why it too so long to start sanctioning them. Allowing time for the money to be moved. Who has been sanctioned and is London still flooded with illegal Russian money. Will the UK let the son of a KBG agent and buddy of Boris to keep his "lord" position, is that not somewhat strange ?
You can bang on about Germany, but that has nothing to do with the UK and Brexit and why the UK isn't controlling it's border, well, maybe the one way ticket to Rwanda is a way to deal with refugees, do you support that move ??

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on May 03, 2022, 09:07:58 PM
We didn't join the EU voluntarily, we were never asked, and Major did his best to seal us in as hard as possible. I can't count how many times you've been told this.
You most certainly did join voluntarily, the UK asked repeatedly to join. You first looked to join in '63, then '67 and you were admitted in '73. If you personally don't like that your ruling class controls your country, then do something about it. If the people of the UK were against it they had 10 yrs to do something about it. 

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on May 03, 2022, 06:35:50 PM
Well Gerry you witter on we have no control where's that of the eu on fundamentals like energy so dont be pointing and sniggering at us.

The EU, as it includes a lot of countries buy their Oil/Gas from Russia, since this started that picture has changed. The EU has now said it will be free from Russian Oil by the end of the YR, that's a massive move. Including more sanctions on Banks  https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy/news/eu-proposes-complete-ban-on-russian-oil-imports-within-six-months/
Now can you explain what the UK is doing regarding the oligarchs in London and why it too so long to start sanctioning them. Allowing time for the money to be moved. Who has been sanctioned and is London still flooded with illegal Russian money. Will the UK let the son of a KBG agent and buddy of Boris to keep his "lord" position, is that not somewhat strange ?
You can bang on about Germany, but that has nothing to do with the UK and Brexit and why the UK isn't controlling it's border, well, maybe the one way ticket to Rwanda is a way to deal with refugees, do you support that move ??