Tiswin, redskin beer!

Started by Borchester, February 18, 2022, 03:38:59 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

You could use honey instead of sugar in the mix.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 19, 2022, 10:22:30 AM
The traditional sugar's used would have been Agave (cactus sugar) in the southern states and Maple syrup possibly pine sap in the north . However you got me thinking Borky and I recalled reading a magazine years ago about Native indians chewing corn and spitting into pots that created a sugary mix which picked up wild yeast and fermented into beer .

So with nothing better to do this may be of interest .The Most American Beer - The Colloquial
Ahha. Many thanks SW. Apparently tiswin comes out at between 2%-3% alcohol, which means that it is so weak that it needs two sticks to get out of the glass. That said, in the dark days of keg beer and worts containing more builders than the Bricklayers Arms, that sort of thing was not uncommon. And we still managed to get bottled on the stuff, so I imagine that the American Indians could do the same.

Thanks again
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on February 18, 2022, 05:44:26 PM
Thanks Pappy.

The recipe would give a brew with about 7% alcohol, which would make for a very jolly bunch of Indians and trappers.

The problem is that it is modern recipe. It is unlikely that in the 1830s that an Apache housewife would have access to sugar or  modern yeasts. Still, we do know that the Indians liked to get shitfaced (they weren't entirely uncivilised), so there might be something in the recipe

Many thanks.
The traditional sugar's used would have been Agave (cactus sugar) in the southern states and Maple syrup possibly pine sap in the north . However you got me thinking Borky and I recalled reading a magazine years ago about Native indians chewing corn and spitting into pots that created a sugary mix which picked up wild yeast and fermented into beer .

So with nothing better to do this may be of interest .The Most American Beer - The Colloquial

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 18, 2022, 05:24:32 PM
Take 10 pounds of maize, roast in an oven at 150C until light-brown. After roasting coarsely grind and put inside a large, earthenware crock,  add  4 gallons of water. To this, add 8 pre-packaged cones of piloncillo (whole cane sugar, along with 6 cinnamon sticks and 3 orange peels for flavouring. Allow to sit 4 or 5 days in a warm place. Then strain and serve.

Thanks Pappy.

The recipe would give a brew with about 7% alcohol, which would make for a very jolly bunch of Indians and trappers.

The problem is that it is modern recipe. It is unlikely that in the 1830s that an Apache housewife would have access to sugar or  modern yeasts. Still, we do know that the Indians liked to get shitfaced (they weren't entirely uncivilised), so there might be something in the recipe

Many thanks.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 18, 2022, 05:18:18 PM

I look forward to its publication and subsequent nomination for a Booker prize

:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on February 18, 2022, 03:38:59 PM
I posted a question about it on Quora and all I wanted to know was if anyone had brewed any or knew about its alcoholic content, but Jesus Christ, you would have thought I had pissed in the sink. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, but there are some sad, museli ridden queanies on Quora so there you are.

So has anyone brewed it or know anything about the stuff? Thanks in advance

PS. They aren't redskins anymore. The correct term is Native American, although I would have thought that was the buffalo
Take 10 pounds of maize, roast in an oven at 150C until light-brown. After roasting coarsely grind and put inside a large, earthenware crock,  add  4 gallons of water. To this, add 8 pre-packaged cones of piloncillo (whole cane sugar, along with 6 cinnamon sticks and 3 orange peels for flavouring. Allow to sit 4 or 5 days in a warm place. Then strain and serve.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Your welcome 

Sounds like the sort of book I might pick up while waiting for the bar to open in some Sunny rat infested hell hole the Mrs has dragged me off to during the golfing season 

I look forward to its publication and subsequent nomination for a Booker prize 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 18, 2022, 04:50:32 PM
Tiswin was a sort of moonshine brewed by Native Americans . Different tribes had different recipes with a wide ranging  alcoholic content . The weaker varieties could be loosely described as beer and served to the women folk and children

Has this got anything to do with the allotment by any chance ?

Tiswin (Traditional Pueblo Corn Drink) (ocbtracker.com)

Actually no. A while back I read a book about the Oregon trail and it mentioned Mountain Men and Apache Indians desperately trying to get drunk on Tiswin. So I thought that I would look it up for a book I have been meaning to write since me and Johannes Gutenberg met up all those years ago. :)

Thanks for the link SW
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on February 18, 2022, 03:38:59 PM
I posted a question about it on Quora and all I wanted to know was if anyone had brewed any or knew about its alcoholic content, but Jesus Christ, you would have thought I had pissed in the sink. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, but there are some sad, museli ridden queanies on Quora so there you are.

PS. They aren't redskins anymore. The correct term is Native American, although I would have thought that was the buffalo
Tiswin was a sort of moonshine brewed by Native Americans . Different tribes had different recipes with a wide ranging  alcoholic content . The weaker varieties could be loosely described as beer and served to the women folk and children 

Has this got anything to do with the allotment by any chance ?

Tiswin (Traditional Pueblo Corn Drink) (ocbtracker.com)

Borchester

Algerie Francais !