Can Russia be stopped?

Started by T00ts, March 01, 2022, 09:22:44 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on March 01, 2022, 10:10:59 AM
The only thing that stops someone of the mind set of Putin, is more fire power than he possesses .
We all know what that means. The last century contained the situation twice. The fact that Europe, in the main possesses an umbrella defence system in NATO, may deter him from more adventures. But there is no telling as he is well aware that the fear factor of nuclear, can work in his favour, witness his present thinly disguised threats.
We do all lack courage in one sense. But only because what he stirs is in all sanity unthinkable. And that includes, because of past experience  a conventional clash, let alone if the last resort was nuclear oblivion. Outside of the unthinkable, the only thing that would end his threats would have to come from the Russian people, and that could be aided by isolating them and him in every way possible. But not a quick solution.
Russian are patriotic people. They might not want war, but they want their country to prosper. I agree that defence is important but we already have more than enough to protect ourselves which is true for Russia as well I guess. And what I mean from that is we need to reduce our dependence on other nations and actually be impartial in their affairs. I don't agree with the invasion, I want to make that clear. But Ukraine isn't in the Western sphere and we need to keep out of their affairs because the tensions right now isn't really due to the war but that we want to seem like we are doing something (when in essence we are doing nothing). That is I guess down to thinking we have the right to impose our ideals onto the world but what I am seeing now is that the West have already lost the hegemony and China have it instead. Xi seems to be against this war despite his impartiality given his call for talks was quickly adhered to by Putin and Russia and Ukraine talks seemed to have been more successful than what most people thought.

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on March 01, 2022, 10:14:14 AM
What difference would it make if I did?
You never know! FYI I have never had blue rinsed hair or the fuddy duddy image associated with it but I guess that doesn't fit with your narrative. Sorry that I don't match your mental image.

Barry

The UN should have some sway in this, but Russia are on the security council and have a veto. The world needs to reject or suspend Russia from the UN whilst there is a maverick in charge of the country.
When that is done, the UN issue an ultimatum to get out, or we force you out.

However, it's difficult to see the courage aspect coming from countries which have been terrified by a virus for 2 years.
Perhaps all this war news is getting people to pump up their backbones.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on March 01, 2022, 10:13:11 AMwith growing anger among the Russian population and anger turns on Putin.
That isn't for the Russians ducky that is propaganda for you, I listen to the Russian people the vast majority of them hate the west for the previous sanctions and see this as a chance of a small victory over the west that has tried to create division. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sampanviking

Well according to the BBC the Russians have already been stopped by a bunch of Ukrainian civil rights activists armed only with Molotov cocktails and drawings of rainbows.

I have at least seen some far more authorative maps and reviews this morning and the truth is that the Ukrainian army is being eaten alive in the Donbass and as the fixed defenses fall apart the Russians are breaking through and developing a number of greater and smaller encirclement maneuvers.
I had a feeling something like was happening due to the not so subtle gear shift in the MSM this morning from "Plucky Ukrainian Resisitance" to "Human Rights violations"
We learned years ago in Syria that this is what is put out when it all starts to go wrong on the ground.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on March 01, 2022, 09:58:33 AM
Is it true that you have pink hair?  Dancing
What difference would it make if I did? 

HDQQ

The USSR invaded Afghanistan in 1979 and never gained full control and left, defeated, ten years later. At the time the USSR had a population of 288 million and Afghanistan had a population of 13 million.  The US-led invasion of Afghanistan ultimately ended in failure too.

So from this it's reasonable to assume that Russia might be able to be stopped, although it's difficult right now to see how. Compare the population figures now with those above. Russia has a population of 145 million and Ukraine 41 million. I think the best hope would be that Russian morale deteriorates, with growing anger among the Russian population and anger turns on Putin.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on March 01, 2022, 09:22:44 AM
Day after day we watch as Russian troops encroach into Ukraine territory. We have heard one soldier's account that they expected to be welcomed, that they didn't think it was going to be a war. We have reports of Putin threatening that any aid to Ukraine will result in presumably nuclear reprisals, so we hit him at the banks, sport and anything else we can think of, yet still he bombs indiscriminately.

Is this really going to be effective? Everything that I see tells me that this is a man with only one aim, taking over Ukraine to add to Russian territory. Are we really just going to stand by as this happens? What does that tell him? Surely he will eye up another country and repeat. Do we all lack courage?

The only thing that stops someone of the mind set of Putin, is more fire power than he possesses .
We all know what that means. The last century contained the situation twice. The fact that Europe, in the main possesses an umbrella defence system in NATO, may deter him from more adventures. But there is no telling as he is well aware that the fear factor of nuclear, can work in his favour, witness his present thinly disguised threats.
We do all lack courage in one sense. But only because what he stirs is in all sanity unthinkable. And that includes, because of past experience  a conventional clash, let alone if the last resort was nuclear oblivion. Outside of the unthinkable, the only thing that would end his threats would have to come from the Russian people, and that could be aided by isolating them and him in every way possible. But not a quick solution.

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on March 01, 2022, 09:44:01 AM
Funny old world isn't it Mrs blue rinse the Russians are saying exactly the same thing about NATO and the EU, so they invaded as a last resort, once the time for talking is over and all that malarky.
Is it true that you have pink hair?  Dancing

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on March 01, 2022, 09:22:44 AM
Day after day we watch as Russian troops encroach into Ukraine territory. We have heard one soldier's account that they expected to be welcomed, that they didn't think it was going to be a war. We have reports of Putin threatening that any aid to Ukraine will result in presumably nuclear reprisals, so we hit him at the banks, sport and anything else we can think of, yet still he bombs indiscriminately.

Is this really going to be effective? Everything that I see tells me that this is a man with only one aim, taking over Ukraine to add to Russian territory. Are we really just going to stand by as this happens? What does that tell him? Surely he will eye up another country and repeat. Do we all lack courage?

Funny old world isn't it Mrs blue rinse the Russians are saying exactly the same thing about NATO and the EU, so they invaded as a last resort, once the time for talking is over and all that malarky. 

T00ts

Is this really going to be effective? Everything that I see tells me that this is a man with only one aim, taking over Ukraine to add to Russian territory. Are we really just going to stand by as this happens? What does that tell him? Surely he will eye up another country and repeat. Do we all lack courage?