EU citizens could face tougher border measures in Ireland after UK vote

Started by Thomas, March 27, 2022, 11:17:34 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on June 04, 2022, 09:37:00 AM
I don't often say "I told you so" but these border problems are exactly what I've been on about for the last few years.

:D

Dont you? No , you just make silly predictions .

Another revived  thread three months on from the last post , another drive past quackers post .
We had EU citizenship and we were basically free to travel, live, work and do business in the EU. Now we don't and although we can still do these things there are a lot more hurdles because we can no longer do the 'as of right' but only by permission. UK citizens have been the biggest losers in this but here we're seeing an example that affects EU citizens. Just thought I'd bring this up as Brexiters try to airbrush out former EU citizenship out of the history books.
if people like you and those you supported hadnt been so anti democratic about the brexit result in 2016 when you couldnt accept you lost , the uk might have been able to negotiate a brexit that worked for all . Instead , your anti democratic stance of demanding referendums be overturned when they dont go your way led to a hardening of brexiter attitudes and the inevitable position the uk is in today.

While you are telling us so , have a wee word with yourself at the same time and do a bit of reflecting about your anti democratic behaviour and attitude.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

I don't often say "I told you so" but these border problems are exactly what I've been on about for the last few years.

We had EU citizenship and we were basically free to travel, live, work and do business in the EU. Now we don't and although we can still do these things there are a lot more hurdles because we can no longer do the 'as of right' but only by permission. UK citizens have been the biggest losers in this but here we're seeing an example that affects EU citizens. Just thought I'd bring this up as Brexiters try to airbrush out former EU citizenship out of the history books.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on March 27, 2022, 08:32:57 PM
As a general rule Tommy yes, but in this particular case I am all for giving the Micks a kick in the balls at each and every opportunity. I love all the world, except the Irish
You love Russia  ?

It's less likely that a land border in IRL will go up, seen that the UK are entrenching the NI protocol in UK law and not the opposite as Truss/Frost etc..  siad they would trigger Art16, all noise.

https://twitter.com/DavidScullion/status/1503385904551022594 

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on March 27, 2022, 02:49:39 PM
Why is this rule not being applied to the Irish? The Micks aren't friends of ours and anything Simon Coveney and the rest of his f**k witted clan oppose must be to the Uk's good.
We're special.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on March 28, 2022, 08:16:50 AM
i love the irish. They are a great people , and i only wish scotland had half their fackin backbone.

This is going to continue to be a festering sore that various groups and individuals are going to try and take advantage of. I dont get why any english prime minisnter wants to keep the place , all i can think of its yet more delusions of grandeur and johnson not wanting to be the prime minisnter that lost part of the current uk.

You have your best pal sleepy joe diplomatically threatening johnson to uphold the protocol and GFA , its making you look weak and easily bossed by both the yanks and the EU i ncluding the micks , its costing you an arm and a leg every year , and slowly but surely unionism is losing the battle in northern ireland and eventually are going to be in a tiny minority.

All this hassle to save a bit of face, when a forward thinking prime minisnter and government would find a way to diplomatically dump the place.

We can all see how its heading , and its a slow but torturous pace in getting there.
My way of thinking entirely.

Give every Mick a copy of The Quiet Man, wrap the place up in pink ribbon and then dump it on the Yanks as fast as an ass' gallop.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on March 27, 2022, 08:32:57 PM
As a general rule Tommy yes, but in this particular case I am all for giving the Micks a kick in the balls at each and every opportunity. I love all the world, except the Irish
i love the irish. They are a great people , and i only wish scotland had half their fackin backbone.

This is going to continue to be a festering sore that various groups and individuals are going to try and take advantage of. I dont get why any english prime minisnter wants to keep the place , all i can think of its yet more delusions of grandeur and johnson not wanting to be the prime minisnter that lost part of the current uk.

You have your best pal sleepy joe diplomatically threatening johnson to uphold the protocol and GFA , its making you look weak and easily bossed by both the yanks and the EU i ncluding the micks , its costing you an arm and a leg every year , and slowly but surely unionism is losing the battle in northern ireland and eventually are going to be in a tiny minority.

All this hassle to save a bit of face, when a forward thinking prime minisnter and government would find a way to diplomatically dump the place.

We can all see how its heading , and its a slow but torturous pace in getting there.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on March 27, 2022, 03:02:40 PM
Well you tell me borkie. Werent you the one who told me you wanted the CTA to continue?

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on March 27, 2022, 02:49:39 PM
Why is this rule not being applied to the Irish? The Micks aren't friends of ours and anything Simon Coveney and the rest of his f**k witted clan oppose must be to the Uk's good.
Well you tell me borkie. Werent you the one who told me you wanted the CTA to continue?

I think gerry has a wee point when he said its easier to enforce checks between the island of ireland and britian than it is over the three hundred mile border on the island of ireland.

Eventually , i think the CTA will end , northern ireland will have a referendum on unity , or the uk is going to get dragged back into the eu , as people like gerry hopes.

All we seems to have at the minute is a can kicking mess where bojo and the government pushes the problem down the road , while slpeepy joe and your best mates in yankland lecture on respecting the good friday agreement etc.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on March 27, 2022, 11:17:34 AM
The UK government has approved a rule that will require non-Irish EU residents to apply for authorisation before travelling between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The requirement, voted through on Tuesday night by a majority of 298 MPs, is part of the Nationality and Borders Bill and has been called "unworkable" by the Committee on the Administration of Justice (CAJ).
Under the new measure, non-Irish EU citizens will have to apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) before entering the UK from the EU, including when crossing the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The House of Lords had previously voted for an amendment which would have exempted Northern Ireland from the legislation, but this was defeated in Tuesday night's vote.
Who will be affected by the ETA?
Tens of thousands of cross-border journeys take place every day on the island of Ireland.

Simon Coveney, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs said that the decision was "contrary to the approach that the UK and Irish governments have supported for many years to protect free movement on the island for everyone."
He added that, "our concern on this has been communicated clearly but has been ignored."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/03/24/eu-citizens-could-face-tougher-border-measures-in-ireland-after-uk-vote?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1648198062

Why is this rule not being applied to the Irish? The Micks aren't friends of ours and anything Simon Coveney and the rest of his F@@@ witted clan oppose must be to the Uk's good.
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on March 27, 2022, 11:17:34 AM
The UK government has approved a rule that will require non-Irish EU residents to apply for authorisation before travelling between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The requirement, voted through on Tuesday night by a majority of 298 MPs, is part of the Nationality and Borders Bill and has been called "unworkable" by the Committee on the Administration of Justice (CAJ).
Under the new measure, non-Irish EU citizens will have to apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) before entering the UK from the EU, including when crossing the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The House of Lords had previously voted for an amendment which would have exempted Northern Ireland from the legislation, but this was defeated in Tuesday night's vote.
Tens of thousands of cross-border journeys take place every day on the island of Ireland.

Simon Coveney, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs said that the decision was "contrary to the approach that the UK and Irish governments have supported for many years to protect free movement on the island for everyone."
He added that, "our concern on this has been communicated clearly but has been ignored."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/03/24/eu-citizens-could-face-tougher-border-measures-in-ireland-after-uk-vote?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1648198062
It's an interesting one. On one level it makes sense, the CTA and GFA allows the free movement of Irish and British peoples on these islands. That doesn't cover everyone, and not EU citizens. On the other hand the UK signed up to the CTA, then the GFA and very recently the NI protocol as part of the TCA. The CTA, GFA and TCA are all binding international agreements, this new legislation would seem to break those agreements but that has yet to be seen. The new legislation in itself might not break any agreement, It will be the implementation of the new legislation that could be the issue. You can ask non UK/IRL people to apply for an ETA but how do you check if they have one ? It's very easy at the NI to GB border, just do a check at airports and ports. But on the Island there is no border. Do the NI police walk up to someone and ask for their ID, most NI people will tell them to fu@k-off and the police can do nothing, that's not workable. Without erecting a border on the island this can't be policed.
Every time I flew to GB, many different GB airports I had to use a passport, even Ryanair about 10 yrs ago stopped allowing Irish people from using a driving lisc as a form of ID, so this change won't make a difference. I've never taken a ferry to GB but I don't think there were any checks so that could be an issue.
I guess this won't be enforced in NI, but if an EU or other citizen were involved in an accident or crime (being robbed) then their prob on their own.
Unfortunately the majority of people that cross from NI-IRL-NI are tourists. this will affect them. A lot of non UK/IRL people will think twice now about travelling into NI and will prob stay in IRL and their Northern trip will be Donegal, a beautiful county. Those that want to go to Ni will have to suffer the additional bureaucracy, who knew that the UK would introduce so much more bureaucracy after brexit.    
But for any EU national   

Thomas