Oath or Affirm

Started by patman post, April 01, 2022, 12:57:31 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on April 01, 2022, 12:57:31 PM
Why do some people take an oath, while others affirm?

This came to mind a few years ago when I was on the jury at two trials at Wood Green Crown Court. One trial involved a number of Church members — they all affirmed.

I, not really a believer, took the oath on The Bible — it never occurred to me to do otherwise.

I've posed this question a few times since, but I've never understood my own feelings on why I went ahead and took the oath, or the reasons I've been as to why the Church members affirmed...
Isn't Matthew Chapter 5 a bit of a hint .... As per Barry's post. By the time I reached the point where I was called to give expert evidence, I had dumped all interest in God. I suppose I should have sworn an oath on his holy writ just to piss him off but then again I was getting paid to report my findings.... Lying wasn't on the agenda.

I asked the usher if they had anything suited for a Viking. He replied no, so I said I'll affirm ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on April 01, 2022, 04:59:52 PM
I have given evidence in many court cases. I had a colleague who was an atheist who also had many appearances at Magistrates and Crown Court.
He would swear on the Bible.
I would always affirm.

It was a strange situation, but my stance was based on Matthew 5, 34-37
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+5%3A34-37&version=NIV

My colleague would swear on the Bible, because it meant nothing to him, one way or the other. I reckon we both did our utmost to tell the truth.
That's sort of puts my own action in context. I was probably conditioned by TV courtroom dramas and just thought swearing on The Bible was normal. Thinking about it though, standing up in court and giving my name is like my signature on a document, and means I'm liable if I lie.

But I don't understand why (is it only some Christian believers out of religious affirmers) that feel obliged to affirm...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Well, perjury is a very serious offence, and quite rightly so.
The thing is, if criminals get away with a crime, there is always likely to be another chance, as criminals do what criminals do. ;D
"They'll come again".
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on April 01, 2022, 04:59:52 PM
I have given evidence in many court cases. I had a colleague who was an atheist who also had many appearances at Magistrates and Crown Court.
I would always affirm.

It was a strange situation, but my stance was based on Matthew 5, 34-27

My colleague would swear on the Bible, because it meant nothing to him, one way or the other. I reckon we both did our utmost to tell the truth.
I really don't get that Baz, if you don't believe in god surely an affirmation is the way.

Anyhow it's human nature you either believe in the truth or not,I knew a bloke who openly admitted he lied routinely on oath as he described he was seeing what he called scrotes put away he didn't see the obvious with that.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

It depends upon how you look at it.

If you take an oath on a bible, Koran or whatever you are swearing not to betray God.

If affirm you are saying that you won't betray yourself.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

I would always affirm.

It was a strange situation, but my stance was based on Matthew 5, 34-37

† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on April 01, 2022, 12:59:05 PM
Probably so they could lie through their teeth.
I seriously wondered that. But the case involved sex between a 13-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy, who were both members of the same Church and the evidence of witnesses from the Church was simply confirming the good character and friendly relationship of the couple.

The only cogent explanation that's been given to me about affirming, is that some Churches believe that using God's name in an oath is taking his name in vain — though I've never understood that any more than I've understood why Jesus was supposed to have died on the Cross for me/us...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on April 01, 2022, 12:57:31 PM

This came to mind a few years ago when I was on the jury at two trials at Wood Green Crown Court. One trial involved a number of Church members — they all affirmed.

I, not really a believer, took the oath on The Bible — it never occurred to me to do otherwise.

I've posed this question a few times since, but I've never understood my own feelings on why I went ahead and took the oath, or the reasons I've been as to why the Church members affirmed...
Probably so they could lie through their teeth.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

I've posed this question a few times since, but I've never understood my own feelings on why I went ahead and took the oath, or the reasons I've been as to why the Church members affirmed...