Life has never been better

Started by Borchester, April 10, 2022, 10:10:36 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on April 14, 2022, 03:20:48 PM
I have had the Covid and I will worry about Putin when the Russian shortarse marches his troops up Whitehall.

In the meanwhile, I woke up alive this morning and how bad is that?
Yeah, I think I've reached that stage too 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on April 10, 2022, 10:10:36 PM
We are living longer, fuller lives and with everything we want to know at the click of a button.

Life is good !

I posted that on another board and you would have thought that I had pissed in the sink. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course. After all, who doesn't? But the response was a shit storm of gloom.

So what is your view on the matter?
I guess the general trend is upward, but the outlook is not as rosy as it was two years ago. Then we had plans, all preliminaries were underway, and the country looked like it was finally getting to grips with a new role in the world. 

But for the moment, most things are on hold, prices of most things are rising, there's definite danger of Stop Oil igniting general unrest — as Martin Lewis predicts— and we're going to find it difficult to travel within, or leave, the country to enjoy a bit of R&R over Easter and the summer.

At present I'm in the pub, waiting for a work mate who's just texted to say there's a traffic holdup and he won't be here for 15 min — the Abbot's still on draught so maybe it's all not so bad...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on April 12, 2022, 10:37:08 AM
"Life has never been better" is a phrase that is more appropriate to 2019 than 2022.

2019 was before we had covid to worry about and before Putin decided to order the Russian army invade Ukraine.

Because of covid, average life expectancy has actually declined slightly. Because of Putin, Europe is facing an economic crisis and we're still part of Europe, EU or no EU.

in 2019 there was still an underlying complacency, a feeling that we'd conquered problems of the past like pandemics, while wars only happened in the Third World or Middle East. That complacency has now been shattered.

I have had the Covid and I will worry about Putin when the Russian shortarse marches his troops up Whitehall.

In the meanwhile, I woke up alive this morning and how bad is that?
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

"Life has never been better" is a phrase that is more appropriate to 2019 than 2022.

2019 was before we had covid to worry about and before Putin decided to order the Russian army invade Ukraine.

Because of covid, average life expectancy has actually declined slightly. Because of Putin, Europe is facing an economic crisis and we're still part of Europe, EU or no EU.

in 2019 there was still an underlying complacency, a feeling that we'd conquered problems of the past like pandemics, while wars only happened in the Third World or Middle East. That complacency has now been shattered.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Good old

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 12, 2022, 08:44:16 AM
:D

But without them we would still be living in a cave or so Im told .

Im not sure if we have it better than past generations . Sure there have been giant leaps forward in the things we take for granted but does wanting for nothing make us happier ?

I think we need challenges , past generations had many, we have less .  The line we cross into comfort land is easier to reach but I know the beer doesnt taste as good on days I havent worked as apposed to days I do .

Yes comfort wise we have never had it better and most of us will live longer than grandad , I dont think I have enjoyed it anymore than he did though , we make the best of what we have .

I think we have two seperate issues , there. From Personal experience ,  I was happy in life in the fifties , but would have viewed what we have now as utopia, or almost,. Our happiness tended to be based on not knowing the extent of possible improvement. The same might apply now ,in general, not for all ,the quality of our conditions  are on a level that we considered another planet back seventy years.  It's our condition to never be completely happy, perfection is a long way off, and if we find it would we recognise it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 11, 2022, 06:55:22 PM
My disposable income tanked in the 12th September 1981 when I stupidly traded my ownership of what turned out to be half a million for sex on tap ... Occasionally.

My god why don't we have a way to get the marriage industry for misselling ...
:D

But without them we would still be living in a cave or so Im told .

Im not sure if we have it better than past generations . Sure there have been giant leaps forward in the things we take for granted but does wanting for nothing make us happier ?

I think we need challenges , past generations had many, we have less .  The line we cross into comfort land is easier to reach but I know the beer doesnt taste as good on days I havent worked as apposed to days I do .

Yes comfort wise we have never had it better and most of us will live longer than grandad , I dont think I have enjoyed it anymore than he did though , we make the best of what we have . 

Nick

We are living longer, fuller lives and with everything we want to know at the click of a button.

Life is good !

I posted that on another board and you would have thought that I had pissed in the sink. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course. After all, who doesn't? But the response was a shit storm of gloom.

Life is indeed good. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Life is good !

My disposable income tanked in the 12th September 1981 when I stupidly traded my ownership of what turned out to be half a million for sex on tap ... Occasionally.

My god why don't we have a way to get the marriage industry for misselling ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

Bye and large , for the majority of people we have never had it better. That's not to say that the basic needs for all people in our society cannot be better still, there are still to many holes for people to fall through.
Maybe more importantly is , for what we do have not to be taken for granted, allowing a complacency to the idea that what we have now is set in stone.

Barry

Personally, me and Mrs want for nothing. Our income exceeds our spending, our Internet works Ok so we can find anything out and stay in touch with everything. And, we don't have to do a stroke of work to live like this. So we are slowly doing up a bungalow, which on the one hand will make it lovely for our final years, and on the other increase its value, so the kids can have a party when we're gone. Win win.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Life is good !

Algerie Francais !