Main Menu

Open til 1am

Started by T00ts, April 26, 2022, 01:08:18 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Yes toots, you are.

Britain's licensing laws were a bloody joke. They encouraged a scenario where motorists would get into a car at 22:15 to drive from north Cardiff where the pubs opened at 17:30 and closed the taps at 22:30 to South Caerphilly where the pubs opened at 18:00 and closed them at 23:00

Screaming Lord Sutch's 79 manifesto proposed the very thing we have today, removal of these ridiculous laws and their replacement at a licensing hearing with the requirement that landlords state what they want, without limit, and licensing authorities answerable to the voters approved or denied the request and faced the reprisal from drinking voters. Or should.

Two facts every licensed victualler I've ever known accepts as gospel or goes bust. And I count myself in this group from my days behind the bar as the social club bar committee treasurer...

1) People only have so much money to spend on drink. Ok yes some will spend to excess and for them, AA is available. But one cannot and should not impose policy on all to prop up weak willed pissheads and crackheads.

It follows from 1) that 2) with only so much money to spend, people will shift the time they come out to suit themselves. 

Our "local" real ale pub licensee APPLIED when all the changes happenned for 5pm to 2am

He KNEW he'd get pushed back to 1am which is what he actually wanted anyway. And since being granted that, he never opened before 6 and called time at 11. Because he knew his two sets of customers fell into the group who when they came, arrived straight from work and went home at 8(ish) and the other set, including me, who came once or maybe twice a week, between 8 and 9, and drank until "stop tap" and went home about 45 minutes later.

Pubs have been back to normal in Newport for a while. Moira and I went into town a few weeks ago on a Friday, sat in the pedestrian area chairs in the open air and had a couple of beers and gins and very pleasant it was. A large - but frankly less than 75% capacity group of drinkers in four pubs near each other provided a group of ordinary people out for a laugh of sufficient size to deter the crackheads muggers and thugs that invaded the streets when the drinkers were forced off them, and he town has become a place to have ordinary fun and a few beers on a Friday again. I enjoyed myself and I have not said that of my home towns city centre for a while.

And best of all, there is a huge banner advertising the up and coming independent councillors group who hope to castrate labour in a few weeks all round the pub at the bottom of the pedestrian area and the mood among the drinkers is one of mutual agreement that Labour created the environment of utter fear in the drinking fraternity that the independents are seeking to capitalise on ...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I'm for scrapping the licencing hours in entirety. Whilst they are at it, scrap the Sunday shopping hours. They are both illogical and ridiculous.
Other countries with no licencing hours seem to manage very well. For instance, in Spain, much less alcoholism than here, I am told.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on April 26, 2022, 02:46:00 PM
Dancing Dancing Dancing Poor woman she does come in for some stick!
And rightly so .Those of us of the right were sold a pup as far as Pritti is concerned . A Career politition who will do whats best for her not us . Typical tory bullshitter . 

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 26, 2022, 02:33:46 PM
It wont make a lot of differance in Croydon  Toots  , I assume most of London is the same  . Pubs and clubs in these parts have 24 hour licences and open pretty much as they please anyway whether they have one or not .

Drinkers are used to the extended hours these days and just use them to go out later if thats their preferance .
Some pubs might have a late one but its not a lot of good if the live music stops at 11pm .

All in all another Pritti 'lets pretend we are doing something ' policy when in effect they are doing nothing .

Does she really think she is that important that she can dictate when a bloke can have a drink ? 
Dancing Dancing Dancing Poor woman she does come in for some stick! 

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on April 26, 2022, 01:08:18 PM
I am teetotal so I guess it was going to seem odd to me but I have just heard that Priti Patel has just relaxed the licencing laws for the Jubilee weekend. Well actually Thursday,Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Pubs will be open til 1am although supermarkets and I believe off licences will stick to their normal hours.

Am I the only one who can foresee mayhem?
It wont make a lot of differance in Croydon  Toots  , I assume most of London is the same   . Pubs and clubs in these parts have 24 hour licences and open pretty much as they please anyway whether they have one or not .

Drinkers are used to the extended hours these days and just use them to go out later if thats their preferance . 
 Some pubs might have a late one but its not a lot of good if the live music stops at 11pm .

All in all another Pritti 'lets pretend we are doing something ' policy when in effect they are doing nothing .

Does she really think she is that important that she can dictate when a bloke can have a drink ?  

T00ts

I am teetotal so I guess it was going to seem odd to me but I have just heard that Priti Patel has just relaxed the licencing laws for the Jubilee weekend. Well actually Thursday,Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Pubs will be open til 1am although supermarkets and I believe off licences will stick to their normal hours.

Am I the only one who can foresee mayhem?