Three Pints And Youre Out....

Started by johnofgwent, April 29, 2022, 08:15:08 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 03, 2022, 07:05:08 AM
My main gripe of all inclusive is the quality of the drinks 

As previous mentioned the small print points you in the right direction ,those who have been on all inclusive would know this . 'Locally produced' means weak beer and the cheapest of cheap spirits that barely register as alcholic . I recall one particular place we stayed at that charged extra if a bottle of beer or a recognisable brand of spirit was ordered  and another that offered an 'upgrade' to international standard drinks on arrival which was the worst thing I could have done as everyone else wanted to be pals with the guy with the gold wrist band and it sort of obligated my wallet to stay on campus

As JOG  says drunks are few and far between at all inclusives , it costs too much .
I usually drop the head barman €50 on arrival, I find the quality and quantity of the drinks tends to go north when the bar staff get a few quid. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 02, 2022, 11:48:09 PMFor one thing the all inclusive beer is deliberately quite weak to stop you getting a cardiac arrest in the heat.
My main gripe of all inclusive is the quality of the drinks  

As previous mentioned the small print points you in the right direction ,those who have been on all inclusive would know this . 'Locally produced' means weak beer and the cheapest of cheap spirits that barely register as alcholic . I recall one particular place we stayed at that charged extra if a bottle of beer or a recognisable brand of spirit was ordered  and another that offered an 'upgrade' to international standard drinks on arrival which was the worst thing I could have done as everyone else wanted to be pals with the guy with the gold wrist band and it sort of obligated my wallet to stay on campus 

As JOG  says drunks are few and far between at all inclusives , it costs too much .

cromwell

I always rent a place,hate hotels.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on May 01, 2022, 10:54:24 AM
That's as maybe and no doubt the offer will be changed in line at some point but you can't blame a region for trying to bring some order to the oft reported mayhem that these resorts turn into with those who have little in the way of self discipline.
Except the mayhem is caused in the town bars where the drinks are definitely not free, and in fact, the proprietors of those bars are the ones demanding it so the people who want to get smashed off their heads have to go to those bars to pay to get ratarsed.

I first went all inclusive about twenty five years ago in Cyprus and I have never booked any other level.since. 

Yes it means I'm wasting my money if we go out to eat and guess what I don't care the cost of most bars and restaurants on holiday abroad has been a mere bagatelle but in reality we only go out for stuff like a birthday or the wedding anniversary. 

In Cyprus the first time the aparthotel concierge told us most of the serious all you can guzzle shag and puke joints in Ayia Napa were down a steep hill in the town and nobody ever bothered us as they all passed out halfway up the hill, and if any guest wished to indulge in such, to take a hotel business card, and put it, with four Cyprus pounds, in a top pocket and any of the white taxi companies would bring us back for that from anywhere in the sin zone.

I didn't opt for this but it was good to know.

In reality hardly anyone in the aparthotel or indeed any all inclusive since - apart from Mexico where Moira had too many flaming sambyccas and fell off the concrete pool bar stool she had swim up to, and went arse over tit into the water which sobered her up - got stupidly drunk. For one thing the all inclusive beer is deliberately quite weak to stop you getting a cardiac arrest in the heat.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 01, 2022, 07:35:47 PM
Because the whole point of them is that some people like to know the cost of the holiday before they leave home .

All inclusive without the drinks is commonly known as full board . ;) 

What he said.

And actually, all inclusive without the drinks isn't full board. All inclusive for us, the first time I booked it, meant blissful relief from endless "dad can I have". The waiters serving the ice creams and so on grinned when I said "don't ask me if you can have it go over to that nice man in the white shirt and tie show him the armband and say nicely "can you have and say please and thank you"

On the first day they stuffed themselves stupid till they were sick with doughnuts and ice cream

For the next thirteen they cottoned on to go to the man at 3pm and ask for a tray of sandwiches a pot of tea and AN ice cream 

The guys serving thought it was dead cute. I just smirked quietly to.myself that they thought it amusing to serve up quintessential English afternoon tea to the descendents of their imperial rulers and ordered another cold beer.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on May 01, 2022, 03:56:37 PM
Why don't they make it all inclusive, except alcoholic drinks?
Personally, I'd never go all inclusive, half board works best for us. We then find bars/restaurants around lunchtime for tapas or ice creams.
Because the whole point of them is that some people like to know the cost of the holiday before they leave home .

All inclusive without the drinks is commonly known as full board . ;)  

Barry

Why don't they make it all inclusive, except alcoholic drinks?
Personally, I'd never go all inclusive, half board works best for us. We then find bars/restaurants around lunchtime for tapas or ice creams.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on May 01, 2022, 08:39:20 AM
That's not the point, it's false advertising and should be challenged.
That's as maybe and no doubt the offer will be changed in line at some point but you can't blame a region for trying to bring some order to the oft reported mayhem that these resorts turn into with those who have little in the way of self discipline.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on April 29, 2022, 09:01:57 PM
Oh come on JOG, surely it's a good move to cut down on those who go there to simply get plastered and cause mayhem for everyone else? They aren't spending in the local economy they just want as much free booze and food as they can down.
That's not the point, it's false advertising and should be challenged. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on April 30, 2022, 04:22:48 PM
Barcelona is also going to ban smoking on the beach...!

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/04/28/barcelona-is-banning-smoking-on-all-its-beaches-and-the-rest-of-spain-could-soon-follow

Wish pub gardens and doorways here could be kept clear of smokers too. The open windows and doors policy — which is meant to keep the air changing — seems to replenish used tobacco smoke more frequently than I remember before lockdown. Or maybe I've simply got used to enjoying a smoke-free environment...
With differing destinations (local administrations ) it seems getting used to making up their own rules during various lockdowns they are finding it hard to break the habit . 

Reading the small print has become more important than ever 

patman post

Barcelona is also going to ban smoking on the beach...!

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/04/28/barcelona-is-banning-smoking-on-all-its-beaches-and-the-rest-of-spain-could-soon-follow

Wish pub gardens and doorways here could be kept clear of smokers too. The open windows and doors policy — which is meant to keep the air changing — seems to replenish used tobacco smoke more frequently than I remember before lockdown. Or maybe I've simply got used to enjoying a smoke-free environment...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Oh come on JOG, surely it's a good move to cut down on those who go there to simply get plastered and cause mayhem for everyone else? They aren't spending in the local economy they just want as much free booze and food as they can down.

I would have thought going abroad, getting ratarsed and waking up in a puddle of vomit and carrots and thinking carrots, I don't eat carrots, has to help the local economy. Sooner or later the all that "free" food and plonk has to be paid for. TANSTAAFL as Heinlein said.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Well yes thats the point of All inclusive .Its not 'free' is it as we have paid for the option of 'as much as you like' . 

Having said that and having been on such vacations there is only so much you can drink and eat and  personally makes no differance to my consumption of either.  Which would suggest this is not a measure to stop unsocial behaiviour but an economic one .
Either have all inclusive or dont have it ,what the Spanish want is for you to pay for it ,  twice . 

Im with JoG and would go somewhere else 

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 29, 2022, 08:15:08 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/29/brits-abroad-limited-to-six-drinks-a-day-on-inclusive-trips-in-spain-16559327/

The Spanish, ever eager to f**k the British Tourist, have decreed that no all.inclusive hotel my at serve you more than a three drinks at lunchtime, and three in the evening, and only when you are eating lunch or dinner.

Screw this. Zakynthos it is then.
Oh come on JOG, surely it's a good move to cut down on those who go there to simply get plastered and cause mayhem for everyone else? They aren't spending in the local economy they just want as much free booze and food as they can down.

johnofgwent

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/29/brits-abroad-limited-to-six-drinks-a-day-on-inclusive-trips-in-spain-16559327/

The Spanish, ever eager to F@@@ the British Tourist, have decreed that no all.inclusive hotel my at serve you more than a three drinks at lunchtime, and three in the evening, and only when you are eating lunch or dinner.

Screw this. Zakynthos it is then.