Food for thought

Started by T00ts, May 23, 2022, 02:14:40 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on May 23, 2022, 02:14:40 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10844775/Hubble-detects-changes-universes-rate-expansion-explained-current-physics.html

I have often mentioned that our scientists always think they know the answers until something new bursts onto the horizon and here is another. 'Unexplained physics' they say, well just maybe there is someone in the Universe who knows more than us and has found this to be the right time to drop a few new secrets. Since many believe that we are in the last days and changes are prophesied then perhaps we might just start to appreciate that mankind is not in control after all. :P  Dancing
Job 9 vv 9-10 says. 

Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

10 Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.

Which may explain things.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on June 07, 2022, 08:05:26 AM
I think if little green men are found to exist one day, the days of religion will well and truly be over. The 'Created in his own image' line will be tested to the nth degree and I don't think religion would survive. I'm sure a few would try and argue that it made no difference but they'd be on their own.
Only by those raving lunatics who regard the Bible as the complete and utterly consistent word of God. 

I remember one such nutter in my first post academic employer. 

He asked me for an example of inconsistency in front of too many people to be ignored.

Obviously forgetting I used to be a lay preacher myself, I naturally suggested a splendid place to start with that was the fact Matthew records in the fifth verse if the 27th chapter of his gospel that Judas filled with remorse at his actions in the garden of Gethsemane went out and hanged himself yet other apostles who one must suppose were around at the time record that he stuck himself with a sword and spilled his intestines on the floor ...

He said "I'll have to get back to you about that"

That was 1985. I'm still waiting

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on May 23, 2022, 05:05:54 PM
There is no way a true scientist and a true believer in any deity are ever going to find common ground. One seeks truth, the other believes it's already been given — or is already known by some all-powerful supernatural force.

PS — I'm in the pub before setting off home...
In the days when I believed there was a god but still probed the workings of the cell at the molecular level, I saw no particular problem in dumping the BS that the world was 6000 years old and got made in six days as the ramblings of men of theology ill equipped to understand the findings of science. A god that sat back and let his creation take its course over thousands of millennia wasn't a particular problem to anyone who regarded ancient scripture as the best fallible men could come up with.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on June 07, 2022, 08:05:26 AM
I think if little green men are found to exist one day, the days of religion will well and truly be over. The 'Created in his own image' line will be tested to the nth degree and I don't think religion would survive. I'm sure a few would try and argue that it made no difference but they'd be on their own.
Dont see why , God created man in his own image and all life on earth , didnt say anything about little green men from outer space 

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on May 23, 2022, 02:14:40 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10844775/Hubble-detects-changes-universes-rate-expansion-explained-current-physics.html

I have often mentioned that our scientists always think they know the answers until something new bursts onto the horizon and here is another. 'Unexplained physics' they say, well just maybe there is someone in the Universe who knows more than us and has found this to be the right time to drop a few new secrets. Since many believe that we are in the last days and changes are prophesied then perhaps we might just start to appreciate that mankind is not in control after all. :P  Dancing

Back in 1977 I was taught how to use the scanning and transmission versions of the electron microscope, arguably the biological equivalent then of astronomy's Hubble and James Webb telescopes.

It quickly became obvious to me the harder I sought answers in molecular biology with the instruments, the more the instruments damaged the material being investigated.

At the time it occurred to me that the obvious answer was that God was employing the same pillar of cloud he had in the old testament mythology to hide his running into the pitch, sawing down the goalposts, throwing them on top of a truck and high tailing it off the pitch and into the sunset.....

Nick

There is no way a true scientist and a true believer in any deity are ever going to find common ground. One seeks truth, the other believes it's already been given — or is already known by some all-powerful supernatural force.

I listen to my Mum, bless her, and she really believes God has all this planned out and that any mistakes are due to faults on our part. Sometimes I wish I could believe and get the comfort she does from her belief. But I don't, and the best I can achieve is to enjoy — even join in — the celebration she and her friends throw themselves into every week. My loss, perhaps. But in a life span of perhaps 80-90 years, does that matter to anyone else but, this transient, me..?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

I listen to my Mum, bless her, and she really believes God has all this planned out and that any mistakes are due to faults on our part. Sometimes I wish I could believe and get the comfort she does from her belief. But I don't, and the best I can achieve is to enjoy — even join in — the celebration she and her friends throw themselves into every week. My loss, perhaps. But in a life span of perhaps 80-90 years, does that matter to anyone else but, this transient, me..?

At this moment of time you are probably right but I am just as certain that there will come a time when we will all understand what all this is all about. Mankind has always fallen into the trap set by the adversary, of believing that we are the greatest. 

patman post

PS — I'm in the pub before setting off home...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

I have often mentioned that our scientists always think they know the answers until something new bursts onto the horizon and here is another. 'Unexplained physics' they say, well just maybe there is someone in the Universe who knows more than us and has found this to be the right time to drop a few new secrets. Since many believe that we are in the last days and changes are prophesied then perhaps we might just start to appreciate that mankind is not in control after all. :P  Dancing