Main Menu

RMT takes over

Started by T00ts, May 25, 2022, 04:02:05 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 27, 2022, 08:38:49 AM
Trackman job in London, London, United Kingdom | Job ID: 622013 | Railway Job Search (railwaypeople.com)

I worked on the railways (sub contract )  years ago when they were doing the Channel tunnel ,building retaining walls  , moving platforms edges  and the like . The money was crap ,in fact it was that bad most of the lads worked days and nights (totally illegal) just to take home a decent wage at the end of the week .
You didnt have to clock off in those days so you always got your 8 hours even if you were sent home for various reasons that you couldn't get on the track ,day shifts rarely got past mid day so you had time for a kip if you were going out at silly o'clock to repair a platform or load out a wall for the next day

All that finnished though with privatisation , the clock was enforced which made working both shifts a no go ,the money was cut in half and I went back to a normal excistance of working on building sites .

Anyway , the above job . £14-£16 an hour working in London . Thats a take home pay of around £600 before tax  for a normal weeks work . Ive never worked paye but Im guessing £120 ? stoppages so take home around £480 or roughly £2K a month
You are not going to be enjoying life much on that  even before the cost of living increases

Transport has always been a poor payer. Every so often the Daily Mail will come up with tales of tube drivers sitting in gold plated cabs, but the traditional rule was poor pay and not much work.

A friend of mine is a train driver with London Transport and he made the point that right now he is doing well, but the first chance it gets the management will replace him with a driverless train, so in the meanwhile he will squeeze TFL for all he can get.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on May 26, 2022, 11:51:58 PM
Have you any figures on that, as in my experience the maintenance guys, who work night shifts, as a rule get paid more.
Trackman job in London, London, United Kingdom | Job ID: 622013 | Railway Job Search (railwaypeople.com)

I worked on the railways (sub contract )  years ago when they were doing the Channel tunnel ,building retaining walls  , moving platforms edges  and the like . The money was crap ,in fact it was that bad most of the lads worked days and nights (totally illegal) just to take home a decent wage at the end of the week . 
You didnt have to clock off in those days so you always got your 8 hours even if you were sent home for various reasons that you couldn't get on the track ,day shifts rarely got past mid day so you had time for a kip if you were going out at silly o'clock to repair a platform or load out a wall for the next day 

All that finnished though with privatisation , the clock was enforced which made working both shifts a no go ,the money was cut in half and I went back to a normal excistance of working on building sites .

Anyway , the above job . £14-£16 an hour working in London . Thats a take home pay of around £600 before tax  for a normal weeks work . Ive never worked paye but Im guessing £120 ? stoppages so take home around £480 or roughly £2K a month 
You are not going to be enjoying life much on that  even before the cost of living increases 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 26, 2022, 05:21:41 AM
Train drivers who are well paid are generally in the ASLEF union . The RMT is for the maintenance guys who are not. Like everyone else they will be looking to keep up with rising costs .
Have you any figures on that, as in my experience the maintenance guys, who work night shifts, as a rule get paid more. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on May 26, 2022, 04:55:15 PM

If managements, Aslef, RMT, TSSA, etc don't quickly cooperate on planning for a changed future, the UK's transport infrastructure is likely to be strike-ridden and a major drag on the economy for years to come...

So no change there
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Everyone in public transport should realise the losses brought about by Covid. 

Several projects have been delayed or shelved because of the shortfalls in projected incomes. And the alteration in working arrangements for substantial numbers of UK workers — who now no longer commute every day — means bus, train, and metro systems also need to adapt their working models.

If managements, Aslef, RMT, TSSA, etc don't quickly cooperate on planning for a changed future, the UK's transport infrastructure is likely to be strike-ridden and a major drag on the economy for years to come...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on May 25, 2022, 11:40:42 PM
And the only outcome will be that the move to driverless trains will speed up.
Train drivers who are well paid are generally in the ASLEF union . The RMT is for the maintenance guys who are not. Like everyone else they will be looking to keep up with rising costs .

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on May 25, 2022, 11:26:28 PM
I understand railway workers are generally very well paid, so the dispute is about pure greed.
And the only outcome will be that the move to driverless trains will speed up. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

I understand railway workers are generally very well paid, so the dispute is about pure greed. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

I was criticised when I said I had little sympathy with RMT personnel during the P&O ferry sackings, because held a grudge over the union's previous activities. 

I am sorry for the few RMT members who are likely to lose badly out of this dispute. BUT, as far as I can see, there's not been any management-employee negotiations yet. 

So why racket up threats to strike status before talks start — do they think they're U.K. Brexit negotiators threatening to jettison the EU-UK agreement over Ireland...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

All this will do is increase non union truckers
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

I guess the Unions have waited long enough for Labour to get their ducks in a row and bring down the Government one way or another. They have been trying for a long time now and the current party poopers are the latest gig. I guess with the sight of such woeful performance throughout Westminster pretty much on all fronts the RMT have seen their chance. Government is weak, Labour is desperate so they have stirred the workers up and managed to get a strike mandate.

No matter what it does to the economy or even their countrymen, all they want is higher salaries, no job losses and POWER! Here is their moment to shimmer in the spotlight and prove that without them the country rolls to a halt. What would we do without this particular species? One thing - at least enough people can now work from home and are well rehearsed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10852285/Rail-strikes-Richard-Madeley-blasts-RMT-boss-industrial-action-planned-June.html