EU report on security and defence post Russian invasion of Ukraine

Started by Streetwalker, June 09, 2022, 06:27:17 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Sean on June 18, 2022, 05:55:53 PM
Mum and I were on holiday in Venice and mum slipped on a fruit juice carton and almost fell into the water. I feel the Italians or the EU should have warned us this sort of thing could happen. It shows Nigel Farrage was right when he said all they want is our money and make us obey EU law. I agree. Mum can't swim.
Hello Sean and welcome to the forum,do I detect some humour in your post?

I won't tell anyone,mums the word. :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on June 18, 2022, 03:58:54 PM
you dont have much luck wae brexit.:D
You don't have much luck with your Indy2, if we're rolling hand grenades under doors. 😉
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Sean on June 18, 2022, 05:55:53 PM
Mum and I were on holiday in Venice and mum slipped on a fruit juice carton and almost fell into the water. I feel the Italians or the EU should have warned us this sort of thing could happen. It shows Nigel Farrage was right when he said all they want is our money and make us obey EU law. I agree. Mum can't swim.
Welcome to the Forum. 

Sean

patman post

Quote from: Thomas on June 18, 2022, 03:58:54 PM
you dont have much luck wae brexit.:D
I guess the similarity with Brexit and a Russian warship is that they both tend to blow up in their operators' faces...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Baff

Quote from: patman post on June 18, 2022, 03:19:49 PM
President Vladimir Putin's speech to Russia's Davos in St Petersburg — Russia's flagship economic forum — was hit by a denial of service attack yesterday.

Putin's speech was delayed by a cyber attack that disabled the Forum's accreditation and admission systems and forced him to delay the scheduled start by an hour.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-dismisses-stupid-western-sanctions-blitzkrieg-2022-06-17/

No one seems to have claimed responsibility, so could it have been internal? Or was the attack from one of Putin's/Russia's foreign enemies...?
They don't have much luck with flagships.

patman post

President Vladimir Putin's speech to Russia's Davos in St Petersburg — Russia's flagship economic forum — was hit by a denial of service attack yesterday.

Putin's speech was delayed by a cyber attack that disabled the Forum's accreditation and admission systems and forced him to delay the scheduled start by an hour.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-dismisses-stupid-western-sanctions-blitzkrieg-2022-06-17/

No one seems to have claimed responsibility, so could it have been internal? Or was the attack from one of Putin's/Russia's foreign enemies...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on June 17, 2022, 05:32:53 PM
Yes, but Putin's also out to undermine the "West", which Russia itself was sort-of aligned with until a few months ago.

The Putin / Lavrov take on the matter could be "if Britain has just left the EU, how can it support Ukraine joining?"
Thats a fair point quack quack. Ukraine wont join the EU though. So no need to worry.

Up till the end of last year or thereabouts, you had russians buying influence with tory mps and donating millions to the party , there were more russian oligarchs in parts of london than local english , they owned football clubs and were given peerages in the english house of lords , now their name is mud.

I wonder why russia wasnt allowed to join the EU in the aftermath of the fall of communism?

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on June 17, 2022, 04:31:58 PM
No need to feel especially vulnerable — Putin is likely to continue to drive as many wedges as possible between Western nations and members of various Western organisations...
christ are you still banging that same old schtick? All the faults of the western world have russian agents behind it? :D

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on June 17, 2022, 02:06:51 PM
Why? Surely they will be more worried about Ukraine joining the EU. If we were still in I could understand your comment.
Yes, but Putin's also out to undermine the "West", which Russia itself was sort-of aligned with until a few months ago. 

The Putin / Lavrov take on the matter could be "if Britain has just left the EU, how can it support Ukraine joining?"
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on June 17, 2022, 01:54:24 PM
. . . Erm, I think the French might!

Now Ukraine could be fast tracked into the EU. Whether or not it's a good idea, we'll have no say in the matter. Russia will use every opportunity to drive a wedge the UK and the EU.
No need to feel especially vulnerable — Putin is likely to continue to drive as many wedges as possible between Western nations and members of various Western organisations...

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on June 17, 2022, 01:54:24 PM

Now Ukraine could be fast tracked into the EU. Whether or not it's a good idea, we'll have no say in the matter. Russia will use every opportunity to drive a wedge the UK and the EU.
Why? Surely they will be more worried about Ukraine joining the EU. If we were still in I could understand your comment.

HDQQ

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 09, 2022, 06:27:17 PMErm ,they dont want to let us go do they ?

Now Ukraine could be fast tracked into the EU. Whether or not it's a good idea, we'll have no say in the matter. Russia will use every opportunity to drive a wedge the UK and the EU.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

You wouldn't have thought this had much to do with us directly bar maybe some reference to NATO/EU  co-operation but how wrong could we be . 
Through all the EU waffle at least they recognise the need  to stand up together against  Russian aggression so fair play for that but they never fail to grasp power themselves when the opportunity presents itself 

The (we will not do this and anyone who thinks it is a fantasist ) position of permanent defence secretary will be created with its own council together with ramping up its defence and task force .

Ok wouldnt really expect anything else given the Ukraine /Russia situation .

However 'on the the follow up to the adoption of  the strategic compass ' section (r) is text that should be noted 

''seek to bring the UK into a framework of common co-operation on defence and foriegn policy matters through the addition of provisions in the EU/UK trade deal ............''

Erm ,they dont want to let us go do they ?

REPORT on a European Parliament recommendation to the Council and the Vice-President of the Commission / High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy on the EU's Foreign, Security and Defence Policy after the Russian invasion of Ukraine (europa.eu)