Not in the Spanish sea!

Started by T00ts, June 21, 2022, 01:56:45 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on June 21, 2022, 04:12:59 PM
I am only quoting what the man was saying. I can't question the science perhaps JoG would have a definitive answer. (@johnofgwent) It was certainly a comment that made my eyes water from the memory of it! ;D

https://recmanagement.com/feature/201901WE01#:~:text=The%20answer%20is%20no.%20Because%20of%20the%20chemical,be%20once%20it%20reacts%20and%20combines%20with%20chlorine.

Chloramines are sometimes used to disinfect tap water by mixing inorganic ammonia and chlorine. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on June 21, 2022, 04:28:32 PM
Here's Professor Google's take on it

What makes swimming pools smell and water sting the eyes.

It turns out the cause is actually urine binding with chlorine to turn into something called a chloramine. In addition to being an eye irritatant, chloramine, a derivative of ammonia, has been linked to respiratory problems among some swimmers
If anyone can remember being a 8 year old they wouldnt go in swimming pools ;D

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 21, 2022, 04:31:17 PM
Professor Google must be right then!
Dancing Dancing Dancing I'll let him know!

Barry

Professor Google must be right then! 
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Here's Professor Google's take on it

What makes swimming pools smell and water sting the eyes.

It turns out the cause is actually urine binding with chlorine to turn into something called a chloramine. In addition to being an eye irritatant, chloramine, a derivative of ammonia, has been linked to respiratory problems among some swimmers

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 21, 2022, 04:00:40 PM
That's rubbish, T00ts. I've been in charge of two swimming pool managements for 15 years and if you add too much chlorine, it smells of chlorine. No urea or ureic acid required to sting the eyes.
I am only quoting what the man was saying. I can't question the science perhaps JoG would have a definitive answer. (@johnofgwent) It was certainly a comment that made my eyes water from the memory of it! ;D

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on June 21, 2022, 03:35:36 PM
I was really put off when listening to the discussion on this. The Chlorine smell that we all associate with the local pool is in fact the action of urine on the Chlorine in the water. Without it the pool would be odourless and it also would not sting the eyes.
That's rubbish, T00ts. I've been in charge of two swimming pool managements for 15 years and if you add too much chlorine, it smells of chlorine. No urea or ureic acid required to sting the eyes. 
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 21, 2022, 03:31:37 PM
Not enforceable, unlike swimming pools.

Lad returns home and tells his dad he's been banned from the swimming pool, for weeing in the pool.
Dad phones the pool and says, Why did you ban my son for weeing in the pool, everyone has done that, sometimes!"
"Yes sir, but not off the top diving board".
I was really put off when listening to the discussion on this. The Chlorine smell that we all associate with the local pool is in fact the action of urine on the Chlorine in the water. Without it the pool would be odourless and it also would not sting the eyes. 

Barry

Not enforceable, unlike swimming pools.

Lad returns home and tells his dad he's been banned from the swimming pool, for weeing in the pool.
Dad phones the pool and says, Why did you ban my son for weeing in the pool, everyone has done that, sometimes!"
"Yes sir, but not off the top diving board".
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 21, 2022, 02:29:20 PM
There are certain chemicals that turn your pee different colours . I suppose adding some of those to the local water supply would do the job .
You could also train the local wildlife to act as 'sniffer dogs' , anyone having a jimmy riddle getting  attacked by lobsters  would also do it .
Dancing Dancing Robot lobsters? Oh dear - the Spaniards who don't have public loos least of all near a beach. I suppose they want everyone to pile into the bars and restaurants instead. One expert commented that the average adult would do well to compete with a whale. I forget the numbers but the whale wins hands down! Another suggested that beachcombers should offer 'snacks' of red beetroot. Apparently it colours the stream! Oh dear I must stop laughing!

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on June 21, 2022, 01:56:45 PM
I need cheering up a bit and I have been laughing as Jeremy Vine discusses Spain's new decree that no-one should relieve themselves in their sea.

So come on you clever clogs out there! How would they police this?
There are certain chemicals that turn your pee different colours . I suppose adding some of those to the local water supply would do the job . 
You could also train the local wildlife to act as 'sniffer dogs' , anyone having a jimmy riddle getting  attacked by lobsters  would also do it .

T00ts

I need cheering up a bit and I have been laughing as Jeremy Vine discusses Spain's new decree that no-one should relieve themselves in their sea.

So come on you clever clogs out there! How would they police this?