How will we tip without cash?

Started by Borchester, January 17, 2020, 08:32:11 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=13494 time=1579296546 user_id=51
Well, as Borchester well knows, all tips have to be declared.  ;) Some establishments pool all the tips and have a party on the proceeds with gifts for the staff.

Ah, the Tronc Master. At the end of the month he adds up all the tips, deducts 20% for tax, puts the money in an envelope marked HMRC and then disappears with the money.

I saw many fascinating things in my career in the Revenue, but I never saw a Tronc Master and rarely heard of a restaurant owner paying his or her taxes.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

We aren't going to tip, are we

In the places I eat and drink I know the owner and have done for years. I *know* when I get the bill and say 'make it up to xxx' they *will* hand it over.

And these days the terminals ask if you want to add a gratuity

Of course, the problem is effing taxman sees it all.now.

Assuming they dont have two bank accounts ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Well, as Borchester well knows, all tips have to be declared.  ;) Some establishments pool all the tips and have a party on the proceeds with gifts for the staff.

I went to Pizza Express very recently and when I paid the bill with my debit card, the machine asked me if I wanted to give a tip, so I rounded it up to £80 which was about 10%. I can't see that reaching the staff on the ground, but I don't know for sure.

I prefer to do most of my restaurant business in cash.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

I hate the idea of a cashless society,I use cash whenever possible,like the shops say about their offers "when it's gone it's gone" and yeah I don't trust employers to pass the money on.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

I don't care if the bill says Service Included, I am not sure that the money will reach the staff so I use the plastic for the reckoning and hand the waiter/waitress the tip in cash. But these days hardly anyone uses cash.

So come the cashless society, how are we going to tip without the cash to do so?
Algerie Francais !