Main Menu

Fuel protests

Started by T00ts, July 04, 2022, 11:02:28 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on July 04, 2022, 11:02:28 AM
So it looks as though the people are starting to speak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10979555/Fuel-price-protests-Van-driver-activist-risks-six-points-200-fine-M4-demonstration.html
Speak to who? They're not speaking to me I can assure you. Don't think they are speaking to the government either, what do they expect them to do when the global price of oil is going up?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 04, 2022, 09:48:41 PM
You mean dragged out of their motors and given a good kicking?

The Insulate Britain mob apparently felt the most dangerous time was BEFORE plod arrived. 

If only we had the technology to destroy mobile phone recording .... 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on July 04, 2022, 08:40:45 PM
I've been self-employed and I've also been an HGV driver - although not both at the same time!

The issue here is that these protesters broke the law and endangered other road users just like the Insulate Britain lot. If the drivers had gone on strike, they wouldn't have broken the law.
I wasn't supporting their means of protest quackers just questioning that you think they are likely far right politically . 

Looking at their social media groups  would suggest they are just pissed off about fuel prices rather than political persuasions 

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on July 04, 2022, 04:24:57 PM
A few weeks ago we had the ridiculous "Insulate Britain" protests and the dangerous and unacceptable antics. Now lorry drivers are doing the same and they deserve the same treatment.

You mean dragged out of their motors and given a good kicking?

Seems a bit extreme to me, but then I have never been in a hurry to get to work :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHOr2WH7V1k
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 04, 2022, 05:00:18 PM
Lol you mean self employed people who have to pay for the fuel themselves  , Yes Im sure that makes them 'far right'

Up the workers
I've been self-employed and I've also been an HGV driver - although not both at the same time!

The issue here is that these protesters broke the law and endangered other road users just like the Insulate Britain lot. If the drivers had gone on strike, they wouldn't have broken the law. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Good old

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/fuel-crisis-protests-2000-led-24292701

When did this lot lose their teeth?Maybe when they got a Tory government. The Tories organising a fuel protest seemed a bit ripe then, all the more so now, as all they organise now is a fuel price rise beyond anything we saw back then.

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on July 04, 2022, 04:24:57 PM
Good to see that some of the drivers have been arrested. If they have LGV licences, hopefully they will be taken away and they'll lose their jobs.
A few weeks ago we had the ridiculous "Insulate Britain" protests and the dangerous and unacceptable antics. Now lorry drivers are doing the same and they deserve the same treatment.

Insulate Britain might have been inspired by the far-left but fuel protests tend to be inspired by the far-right.
Lol you mean self employed people who have to pay for the fuel themselves  , Yes Im sure that makes them 'far right'

Up the workers 

HDQQ

Good to see that some of the drivers have been arrested. If they have LGV licences, hopefully they will be taken away and they'll lose their jobs.

Insulate Britain might have been inspired by the far-left but fuel protests tend to be inspired by the far-right.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 04, 2022, 03:18:07 PM
I see that Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak said on Monday oil prices could reach $300 a barrel if Russian crude was shunned by the West — although Tass news agency reported that he thought such a scenario was unlikely.

Novak said Moscow was considering banning uranium exports of Russia uranium to the United States to retaliate for sanctions.

The United States relies on Russia and its allies Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan for about half its uranium imports, which are used to power U.S. nuclear plants.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/novak-says-oil-may-hit-300-barrel-if-russian-crude-shunned-tass-reports-2022-03-21/

There's either a whole lot of sabre-rattling going on, or we're in for a very hard few years...

I think said Russian SpokesTosser needs to remember Uncle Sam generally goes to war to get his way ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

I am rather surprised they can afford the fuel

patman post

I see that Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak said on Monday oil prices could reach $300 a barrel if Russian crude was shunned by the West — although Tass news agency reported that he thought such a scenario was unlikely.

Novak said Moscow was considering banning uranium exports of Russia uranium to the United States to retaliate for sanctions.

The United States relies on Russia and its allies Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan for about half its uranium imports, which are used to power U.S. nuclear plants.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/novak-says-oil-may-hit-300-barrel-if-russian-crude-shunned-tass-reports-2022-03-21/

There's either a whole lot of sabre-rattling going on, or we're in for a very hard few years...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Taxi drivers and truck drivers have mounted go-slows and stoppages in the past.

I guess it makes them feel like they're doing something, but such demos tend to piss off many others caught up in them who just want to get on with earning a living.

Maybe a better way would be to limit purchases at filling stations to essential fuel only, and boycott all the other drinks, snacks, newspapers, car-washes, etc...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on July 04, 2022, 12:19:04 PM
Dancing Dancing Dancing It has to start somewhere!
Yep somewhere else,though I have sympathy for their grievance but not their action like those glueing themselves to road surfaces they are inconveniencing everyone else.

Make a protest but not like this
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on July 04, 2022, 12:05:47 PM
Mr Dite, who also sounded a musical horn from his vehicle which played the Pirates of the Caribbean theme tune, was among about half a dozen vehicles in a small procession

Half a dozen motors? Well, that will topple the government.
Dancing Dancing Dancing It has to start somewhere! 

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 04, 2022, 11:02:28 AM
So it looks as though the people are starting to speak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10979555/Fuel-price-protests-Van-driver-activist-risks-six-points-200-fine-M4-demonstration.html

Mr Dite, who also sounded a musical horn from his vehicle which played the Pirates of the Caribbean theme tune, was among about half a dozen vehicles in a small procession

Half a dozen motors? Well, that will topple the government.
Algerie Francais !