Starmer U-turns on leadership election pledge to renationalise railways

Started by SKY News, July 27, 2022, 01:00:03 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2022, 04:27:08 AM
No we don't, you vote for who best serves you, and ATM that is the Tories for me.
Please don't tell me I should do what's best for the country cause if that was the case the great unwashed would get off their arse, get a job and pay tax rather than be a social parasite.
There will always be a minority whose personal selfish interests are best served by voting Tory and to hell with those less fortunate whom you conveniently choose to regard as undeserving poor. Presumably including the millions who work too. Clearly you are one of those self-interested Tory voters.

I can at least understand your motives logically speaking. It is the millions of ignorant bar stewards who are much worse off than you and who are invariably made worse off by Tory rule in the interests of the property owning classes, yet who vote Tory anyway because the Sun tells them to, whom I am truly contemptuous of. The wealthy elites' useful idiots.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2022, 12:15:43 PM
A Labour government is n ot going to be on offer in anything but name. The choice will be between Tory hard and Tory-lite. Both parties are just two cheeks of the same elitist arse. We need to start voting tactically against both.
No we don't, you vote for who best serves you, and ATM that is the Tories for me. 
Please don't tell me I should do what's best for the country cause if that was the case the great unwashed would get off their arse, get a job and pay tax rather than be a social parasite. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

A Labour government is n ot going to be on offer in anything but name. The choice will be between Tory hard and Tory-lite. Both parties are just two cheeks of the same elitist arse. We need to start voting tactically against both.
I think that indicates the UK is generally more middle of the road politically, rather than being either Ultra Right or Hard Left.

The way the electorate took against Michael Foot and Jeremy Corbyn appears to indicate that's the case — Miliband lost because of Labour infighting and his close ties to the unions.

But the British electorate had previously been OK with MacDonald, Atlee, Wilson, and Callaghan — though they have mostly voted in Conservative governments since 1924.

Blair probably delivered as many (if not more) reforms as any previous Labour administration, and Brown could have built on that had it not been for Iraq...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

...and end up with what? It's all very well throwing the bath water out but where is the baby? Do you fancy the coalition route because I doubt very much that it will give you the sort of government you crave? Go for PR and we will be lucky to escape the stalemate that Italy is in and any number of other countries that adopt the system. Is it possible that we have become ungovernable by anyone for no other reason than the grapevine is now so sophisticated via social media etc that no government will ever satisfy. Majority no longer seems to count for much.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 28, 2022, 11:43:59 AM
How?

The Tories spent between £300 and £400 billions on the recent flu out break and the NHS is still there with its paw out, dribbling self pity and demanding more than the quarter of the nation's revenues that it currently gobbles up and spends on Christ knows what.

The cost of living is rising? The cost of living is always rising. Try not taking the Chelsea tracker to Morrisons and spend a couple of quid on a home delivery instead.

Apart from Brexit, there is sod all difference between the Tories and Labour.
That may be true.

But in 2024, or whenever, will those points register strongly enough with the electorate to counter the natural British scepticism with those in power to keep the Tories in government?

Churchill was chucked out of power in 1945 because the electorate associated him more with all the 1939-45 hardships, rather than victory — an allegory for Brexit, perhaps?

Re your concern with our supermarket shopping: the only vehicle we currently have, can do up to 34 miles around town without using a drop of fuel.

In fact, for the past couple of months, a message on the dash has read "Add at least 15 ltr of fuel" because it reckons the stuff in the tank is too old and needs freshening up... 
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on July 28, 2022, 09:00:31 AM
7 points if you average the main polsters. This has dropped from 10 points whilst nothing has changed so who knows?
Come a GE the good people of Britian know better than to elect a Labour government.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 28, 2022, 10:28:59 AM
I don't share your confidence.

Four years of restrictions, rising cost of living, NHS problems, strikes, etc, etc, etc, by the time the next general election is scheduled, gives plenty of time for enough of the electorate to decide to give Labour a chance.

It will be up to the Tories to project themselves more favourably over the next couple of years, and not rely on memories and scare stories of Labour  governments of more than 14 years ago...

How?

The Tories spent between £300 and £400 billions on the recent flu out break and the NHS is still there with its paw out, dribbling self pity and demanding more than the quarter of the nation's revenues that it currently gobbles up and spends on Christ knows what.

The cost of living is rising? The cost of living is always rising. Try not taking the Chelsea tracker to Morrisons and spend a couple of quid on a home delivery instead.

Apart from Brexit, there is sod all difference between the Tories and Labour.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

7 points if you average the main polsters. This has dropped from 10 points whilst nothing has changed so who knows?
Come a GE the good people of Britian know better than to elect a Labour government.
I don't share your confidence.

Four years of restrictions, rising cost of living, NHS problems, strikes, etc, etc, etc, by the time the next general election is scheduled, gives plenty of time for enough of the electorate to decide to give Labour a chance.

It will be up to the Tories to project themselves more favourably over the next couple of years, and not rely on memories and scare stories of Labour  governments of more than 14 years ago...

T00ts

I think you are right but they might be duped into a Lab/Lib/Green coalition con.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on July 27, 2022, 05:19:52 PM
Labour is currently 9 points ahead, and I can't see Truss eradicating that lead. Sunak might, given the chance, but it'd be a tall order even for him.

Mind you, Labour could still blow it if it loses its senses and retries a Corbyn-McDonnell move to anti-semitism and LMTism...
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on July 27, 2022, 05:19:52 PM
Labour is currently 9 points ahead, and I can't see Truss eradicating that lead. Sunak might, given the chance, but it'd be a tall order even for him.

Mind you, Labour could still blow it if it loses its senses and retries a Corbyn-McDonnell move to anti-semitism and LMTism...
The Labour poll lead is entirely down to Boris Johnson and the appalling ineptitude of the Tories.

It is likely to evaporate soon enough.

Starmer only has two policies. The first is to ditch anything that remotely threatens the economic establishment, which begs the question what is the point of him or his party? The second policy upon which most of his extremely soft poll lead is built is not being Boris Johnson. The Tories are about to steal that policy themselves though.

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 03:40:49 PM
They are triangulating themselves to the right of the Tories in defence of the economic status quo, making the Labour party a safe pair of hands for the establishment and to hell with the struggling millions.

We are not going to get any meaningful choice between Labour or Tories. It is about time we recognised that if we want anything to ever change we need to start voting for anyone but either of them.
Labour is currently 9 points ahead, and I can't see Truss eradicating that lead. Sunak might, given the chance, but it'd be a tall order even for him. 

Mind you, Labour could still blow it if it loses its senses and retries a Corbyn-McDonnell move to anti-semitism and LMTism...

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 03:40:49 PM
They are triangulating themselves to the right of the Tories in defence of the economic status quo, making the Labour party a safe pair of hands for the establishment and to hell with the struggling millions.

We are not going to get any meaningful choice between Labour or Tories. It is about time we recognised that if we want anything to ever change we need to start voting for anyone but either of them.
You've been listening to Sheepy, then.
But you are right, we need to vote for anyone but the Westminster party, which is basically LIB/LAB/CON.

Starmer has now come off the fence and has taken up a new position, called blowing in the wind.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

SKY News

Starmer U-turns on leadership election pledge to renationalise railways

Sir Keir Starmer has suggested Labour would drop its pledge to renationalise the railways, despite repeated promises to do so.

Source: Starmer U-turns on leadership election pledge to renationalise railways