Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 29, 2020, 07:51:59 PM
Yeah, let's just carry on and condemn everyone to pergatory. Australia pretty much closed Victoria down for 819 lives at a cost of a billion Dollars per person. There will be collateral damage but ultimately the country has to survive.

A $billion per person? Where did you get that figure from?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 03:54:58 PM
Now the boss of Pret a Manger says Britain should not lock down to save 'a few thousand lives' of very elderly and vulnerable people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/pret-a-manger-itsu-founder-lockdown-shut-save-lives-julian-metcalfe-b1421643.html

That's just despicable. If he really thinks that, why doesn't he just abandon all food hygene standards at his restaurant chains and poison his customers?

This new emerging sentiment in this country that older lives are dispensible is another sign of increasing nastiness among the British people.

Anyway, this Metcalfe chap is 60 himself, so he's not exactly in the low-risk category. And I imagine his parents are no longer alive otherwise he'd never have said anything as nasty.

And the economic outlook isn't all bad because businesses going bust now will clear the decks for opportunities in the future (when the pandemic is over) for new businesses run by new people, hopefully with more humane ideas.

Yeah, let's just carry on and condemn everyone to pergatory. Australia pretty much closed Victoria down for 819 lives at a cost of a billion Dollars per person. There will be collateral damage but ultimately the country has to survive.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 29, 2020, 05:00:05 PM
I didn't think Starmer would be stupid enough to do it.

im sure he listened carefully to your sage words of wisdom before discarding them into the looney bin where they belong smurf.

Anyway i thought old hertfordshire tories like you would be laughing ?

With labour looking less likely to get in by the second , you can keep the proceeds of your ill gotten gains without fear of comrade corbyn or his successors taking a large dose of them.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 04:29:44 PM

Today's prediction: Jeremy Corbyn will be suspended from the Labour Party.  Oh well, that's already happened but did anyone here predict that?

I didn't think Starmer would be stupid enough to do it.

Thomas

Anyway getting predictions wrong is better than getting facts wrong!

i know quacky , your former dear leader jo the muppet swinson was famous for that in true lib dem style wasnt she?

I was doing cartwheels when the snp took her seat last december.

Lib dems like you normally get the hat trick in politics..........predictions wrong , facts wrong and elections wrong.

Thomas

Well I never predicted that Trump is going to lose, I'm too cautious for that.

:D :D :D

i wonder why quackers?

could it be years and years of getting political predictions wrong and hopes being dashed time and again?

Member on the old forum in  2011 , you said to me in your ususal grandiose way the snp holidy period is over and they are about to lose to labour at holyrood , and they went on to win a landslide?

Or how about your four years of brexit predictions and how the silent remain majority were going to win the next battle sometime in the future , yet you lost what was it a referendum and four elections!

With you against trump quackers....how can he lose.

I honestly couldnt really care less about yank politics......we have enough muppets over here to contend with.

....but if trump does win ,im going to laugh my feckin head of with you in mind. ;D

You may have just given biden the quackers kiss of death. ;D :D

HDQQ

Quote from: Thomas on October 29, 2020, 04:18:51 PM
ooops there you have gone and done it quackers..

could this be another one of your infamous hopes about to be shattered on the rock of reality?

Its a toss up between you and yer pal smurf to see who has the worst record of making political predictions or voicing your hopes over the interwebby.

The general rule of thumb is whatever quack quack says , the opposite will happen. :D

Well I never predicted that Trump is going to lose, I'm too cautious for that. I pondered on what he might do if he loses and certainly even you, Thomas, would surely agree at this stage that Trump is by no means assured victory. And if he does lose a lot of people think he won't go without a battle.  And I could go on about other people's rules of thumb but I'd have to talk about half the people on these forums. If Trump wins, then we have a whole new canvas for predictions, like when he will start a war and against whom.

Anyway getting predictions wrong is better than getting facts wrong!

Today's prediction: Jeremy Corbyn will be suspended from the Labour Party.  Oh well, that's already happened but did anyone here predict that?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 04:12:43 PM
Yes. Maybe if Trump loses next month that will take the wind out of the sails of the gung-ho right wing.

ooops there you have gone and done it quackers..

could this be another one of your infamous hopes about to be shattered on the rock of reality?

Its a toss up between you and yer pal smurf to see who has the worst record of making political predictions or voicing your hopes over the interwebby.

The general rule of thumb is whatever quack quack says , the opposite will happen. :D

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on October 29, 2020, 04:08:59 PM
That simply isn't true.
I think it's partly true. I mean our government has tried but it's always behind the curve because it's thinking too much about 1) the economy 2) being 'British' and 3) upsetting their supporters to take the drastic action with a sense of urgency. The longer they leave things the worse they'll get and the longer we'll need to be in lockdown as they argue about how to shut the stable door (once they've established that it is indeed a the door of the stable) long after the horse has bolted.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 29, 2020, 04:08:59 PM
That simply isn't true.

It is true, the attacks and hostile environment  towards  disabled and other vulnerable people since May 2010  by government is obscene.

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on October 29, 2020, 04:07:25 PM
Ably assisted by the right wing press and the government.
Yes. Maybe if Trump loses next month that will take the wind out of the sails of the gung-ho right wing.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 29, 2020, 04:07:25 PM

That simply isn't true.

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 03:54:58 PM

This new emerging sentiment in this country that older lives are dispensible is another sign of increasing nastiness among the British people.

HDQQ

Now the boss of Pret a Manger says Britain should not lock down to save 'a few thousand lives' of very elderly and vulnerable people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/pret-a-manger-itsu-founder-lockdown-shut-save-lives-julian-metcalfe-b1421643.html

That's just despicable. If he really thinks that, why doesn't he just abandon all food hygene standards at his restaurant chains and poison his customers?

Anyway, this Metcalfe chap is 60 himself, so he's not exactly in the low-risk category. And I imagine his parents are no longer alive otherwise he'd never have said anything as nasty.

And the economic outlook isn't all bad because businesses going bust now will clear the decks for opportunities in the future (when the pandemic is over) for new businesses run by new people, hopefully with more humane ideas.