How many things…

Started by Nick, August 17, 2022, 08:47:53 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 29, 2023, 12:06:56 AM
You doth protest too much and then hypocritically demand others post referenced figures when you don't.

Here's the truth about our food  https://www.food.gov.uk/our-work/chapter-2-going-global-food-imports-and-their-impact-on-the-standards 

'
Nearly half of what we eat comes into the UK from abroad, and two-thirds of that has in recent years come from the EU.'

Figure 17: Percentage of total UK consumption of major POAO categories

Figure 18: % of total UK consumption of major FNAO categories

And that's why your no deal supposed dream would actually have been a complete nightmare.

Feel free to post up the price of Australasian vegetables FOB UK supermarket shelf.  And then their fresh fruit.

Didn't not the UK starve to death after the 2016 referendum?

I know that Gerry said that we would because the Irish farmers would close down the butter and bacon mines and no one would dare question the lad on such matters
Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on April 28, 2023, 10:45:39 PM
And of course you have attached a list of these items that are so much cheaper in the EU! Oh no you haven't. Why do you think the farmers are all in a tiz about importing beef and lamb from Australia / New Zealand? Because we can ship it half way around the world and put it in Tesco cheaper than Welsh lamb. It was never an issue before the EU, NZ lamb was always being advertised on the TV.
You doth protest too much and then hypocritically demand others post referenced figures when you don't.

Here's the truth about our food  https://www.food.gov.uk/our-work/chapter-2-going-global-food-imports-and-their-impact-on-the-standards  

'
Nearly half of what we eat comes into the UK from abroad, and two-thirds of that has in recent years come from the EU.'

Figure 17: Percentage of total UK consumption of major POAO categories

Figure 18: % of total UK consumption of major FNAO categories

And that's why your no deal supposed dream would actually have been a complete nightmare.

Feel free to post up the price of Australasian vegetables FOB UK supermarket shelf.  And then their fresh fruit.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 28, 2023, 06:30:40 PM
This question?  name a product that we have to go to the EU for, that we can't just buy from anywhere in the rest of the world?

Silly question.  Had you asked name a product that we have to go to the EU for, that we can't just buy from anywhere in the rest of the world for a comparable price? then you'd get this answer:  milk, eggs, meat, wheat, fruit vegetables etc etc

Because for well over 100 years we have not been self sufficient in food, not even close.  We can import food cheaply from the EU or pay more for it from other sources.
And of course you have attached a list of these items that are so much cheaper in the EU! Oh no you haven't. Why do you think the farmers are all in a tiz about importing beef and lamb from Australia / New Zealand? Because we can ship it half way around the world and put it in Tesco cheaper than Welsh lamb. It was never an issue before the EU, NZ lamb was always being advertised on the TV. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on April 28, 2023, 02:56:43 PM
No we don't starve, the farmers actually start producing food instead of sitting on their arse and collecting EU subsidies. I live in a farming community and all of a sudden the farmers are growing crops, fields are full of growth instead of lying fallow. The reason the U.K. didn't grow enough was because of the EU.

And I see you avoided my question also.
This question?  name a product that we have to go to the EU for, that we can't just buy from anywhere in the rest of the world?

Silly question.  Had you asked name a product that we have to go to the EU for, that we can't just buy from anywhere in the rest of the world for a comparable price? then you'd get this answer:  milk, eggs, meat, wheat, fruit vegetables etc etc

Because for well over 100 years we have not been self sufficient in food, not even close.  We can import food cheaply from the EU or pay more for it from other sources.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 27, 2023, 11:22:27 PM
And on your plan we'd starve

Take away the staple foods we have to import from the EU and how does that trade surplus look?

We're going to have to agree to differ, there's you, Streetwalker and a few swivel eyed Tories and DUP in one corner and the rest of the intelligent world in the other. 

No we don't starve, the farmers actually start producing food instead of sitting on their arse and collecting EU subsidies. I live in a farming community and all of a sudden the farmers are growing crops, fields are full of growth instead of lying fallow. The reason the U.K. didn't grow enough was because of the EU.

And I see you avoided my question also. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 28, 2023, 07:12:15 AM
All the big hitters and those at the front and centre of the debate were tories . Gisla Stuart (Labour at the time ) even admitted she voted tory in 2019 lol  The only non tory in the room was the wonderful local MP for Vauxhall, Kate Hoey (Lab) who doesnt seem to be on the list . As for Frank Field (lab) he was more of a tory than some of the tories ,a good friend of Thatcher and now a crossbencher in the Hol .

So Ill stick by my contention that the torys led the leave campiagn . Johnson and Leadsom did all the heavy lifting along with Stuart , as remarked on we know where her true loyalty lay.

The conservative government led the remain side even publishing the leaflet that was delivered to every home in the country telling us to vote remain . The Lib dems tagged along as they do and Labour were irrelevant as  although remainers didn't want to cosy up to Cameron . In fact it was left to London Mayor Khan to be labours face in the debates
Of course Stuart voted Tory in 2019, 3 years after as a Labour MP she was a leader of the Leave campaign because in 2019 the Tories stood on a platform of Get Brexit Done.  

Your assertion that Vote Leave was 100% Tory led was false.

HDQQ

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 28, 2023, 07:12:15 AM
All the big hitters and those at the front and centre of the debate were tories . Gisla Stuart (Labour at the time ) even admitted she voted tory in 2019 lol  The only non tory in the room was the wonderful local MP for Vauxhall, Kate Hoey (Lab) who doesnt seem to be on the list . As for Frank Field (lab) he was more of a tory than some of the tories ,a good friend of Thatcher and now a crossbencher in the Hol .

So Ill stick by my contention that the torys led the leave campiagn . Johnson and Leadsom did all the heavy lifting along with Stuart , as remarked on we know where her true loyalty lay.

The conservative government led the remain side even publishing the leaflet that was delivered to every home in the country telling us to vote remain . The Lib dems tagged along as they do and Labour were irrelevant as  although remainers didn't want to cosy up to Cameron . In fact it was left to London Mayor Khan to be labours face in the debates
Nigel Farage and UKIP led the campaign to leave the EU. Without them we'd still be in the EU and most people would be quite happy about that. They raised consciousness with propaganda and misinformation, which got us in the mess we're in now.

And now a Tory minister (Rachel Maclean) is ordering poor people not to blame Brexit for their financial problems.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/

We've left the EU, yes, but that's no reason to stop talking about the damage Brexit's done or to begin talking about rejoining the EU.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 27, 2023, 11:19:28 PM
Seems you missed that Vote Leave (and 'the In Campaign') only got the lead campaign ticket because they spanned multiple parties

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/electoral-commission-designates-vote-leave-ltd-and-campaign-ltd-lead-campaigners-eu-referendum

And take a look:  http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/campaign.html

Rt Hon Michael Gove MP (Co-Convener) *
Rt Hon Gisela Stuart MP (Co-Convener) *
Matthew Elliott (Chief Executive) *
Dominic Cummings (Campaign Director) *
Steve Baker MP
Ian Davidson *
Nigel Dodds MP
Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP
Rt Hon Frank Field MP
Lord Forsyth
Rt Hon Liam Fox MP
Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP

Dan Hannan MEP
Boris Johnson MP *
Paul Keetch
Lord Lawson
Andrea Leadsom MP
John Longworth
Lord Owen
Rt Hon Priti Patel MP
Dominic Raab MP
Graham Stringer MP
Rt Hon Theresa Villiers MP
Rt Hon John Whittingdale MP

So Ill stick by my contention that the torys led the leave campiagn . Johnson and Leadsom did all the heavy lifting along with Stuart , as remarked on we know where her true loyalty lay.

The conservative government led the remain side even publishing the leaflet that was delivered to every home in the country telling us to vote remain . The Lib dems tagged along as they do and Labour were irrelevant as  although remainers didn't want to cosy up to Cameron . In fact it was left to London Mayor Khan to be labours face in the debates

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on April 27, 2023, 10:07:31 PM
The EU is well know for saying no no no and then dealing at the 11th hour, they did it with us FFS. If we'd just walked away they'd have ZERO access to our waters, we have a trade deficit with them by a long way, and THEY would have to errect a hard border in Eire, not us, all things that would take them to the easiest conclusion which would be to give us a better deal.

I've asked this maybe 10 times and nobody has ever answered it, so as you're reasonably new maybe you won't ignore it. Excluding trade marked brands like Champagne (other bubbles are available), name a product that we have to go to the EU for, that we can't just buy from anywhere in the rest of the world?
Since Brexit I'm seeing produce from all around the world, seafood from Ecuador, Panama but your likes of Tesco's are not doing anywhere near enough to buy in from outside the EU. And as I've said a 100 times, fruit like Oranges can be bought at a 20th of the cost from places like Brasil, but they're not taking the opportunity.
And on your plan we'd starve

Take away the staple foods we have to import from the EU and how does that trade surplus look?

We're going to have to agree to differ, there's you, Streetwalker and a few swivel eyed Tories and DUP in one corner and the rest of the intelligent world in the other.  

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 27, 2023, 09:18:11 PM
Go on then who led the leave and remain campaigns
Seems you missed that Vote Leave (and 'the In Campaign') only got the lead campaign ticket because they spanned multiple parties

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/electoral-commission-designates-vote-leave-ltd-and-campaign-ltd-lead-campaigners-eu-referendum 

And take a look:  http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/campaign.html

Rt Hon Michael Gove MP (Co-Convener) *
Rt Hon Gisela Stuart MP (Co-Convener) *
Matthew Elliott (Chief Executive) *
Dominic Cummings (Campaign Director) *
Steve Baker MP
Ian Davidson *
Nigel Dodds MP
Rt Hon Iain Duncan Smith MP
Rt Hon Frank Field MP
Lord Forsyth
Rt Hon Liam Fox MP
Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP

Dan Hannan MEP
Boris Johnson MP *
Paul Keetch
Lord Lawson
Andrea Leadsom MP
John Longworth
Lord Owen
Rt Hon Priti Patel MP
Dominic Raab MP
Graham Stringer MP
Rt Hon Theresa Villiers MP
Rt Hon John Whittingdale MP

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 27, 2023, 07:28:46 PM
And you don't like it being pointed out that that is just wild fantasy, we got a damn good deal by EU standards in record time because we had one tiny piece of leverage:  Ireland didn't want a hard border.  They had several massive pieces of leverage:  we need their food, we need that Dover border running relatively freely and if we didn't take a deal that kept the Ireland/NI border open the USa would drop us like a stone.
The EU is well know for saying no no no and then dealing at the 11th hour, they did it with us FFS. If we'd just walked away they'd have ZERO access to our waters, we have a trade deficit with them by a long way, and THEY would have to errect a hard border in Eire, not us, all things that would take them to the easiest conclusion which would be to give us a better deal. 

I've asked this maybe 10 times and nobody has ever answered it, so as you're reasonably new maybe you won't ignore it. Excluding trade marked brands like Champagne (other bubbles are available), name a product that we have to go to the EU for, that we can't just buy from anywhere in the rest of the world? 
Since Brexit I'm seeing produce from all around the world, seafood from Ecuador, Panama but your likes of Tesco's are not doing anywhere near enough to buy in from outside the EU. And as I've said a 100 times, fruit like Oranges can be bought at a 20th of the cost from places like Brasil, but they're not taking the opportunity. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 27, 2023, 07:30:03 PM
Don't know much about Vote Leave or the Remain campaign then do you.
Go on then who led the leave and remain campaigns 

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 27, 2023, 07:30:03 PM
Don't know much about Vote Leave or the Remain campaign then do you.
I imagine that Streetwalker saw the referendum as the chance to regain sovereignty while the Remainers were interested in how much they could sell it for

Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 27, 2023, 05:01:17 PM
Your just not listening U4S . Vote leave was run by the tories . The referendum was run by the tories ,vote remain was run by the tories, negociations are being run by the tories (via Brussles) .
Your right anyone who believes the tories is an idiot ,same goes for Labour and the other lot .
Don't know much about Vote Leave or the Remain campaign then do you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on April 27, 2023, 05:20:33 PM
You just don't get it. I didn't believe anything, I wanted out long before Farage was pushing Cameron into giving us a vote. There's only you lot moaning about deals, I and millions of others wanted to just walk away, and as I said: the EU would have given us a proper deal.
And you don't like it being pointed out that that is just wild fantasy, we got a damn good deal by EU standards in record time because we had one tiny piece of leverage:  Ireland didn't want a hard border.  They had several massive pieces of leverage:  we need their food, we need that Dover border running relatively freely and if we didn't take a deal that kept the Ireland/NI border open the USa would drop us like a stone.