Main Menu

Hung out to die

Started by Nick, August 21, 2022, 04:42:01 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on August 23, 2022, 02:17:19 PM
Interestingly enough, the Commonwealth has an area of 30 million square kilometres, compared to that of the British Empire which peaked at 34 million square kilometres,

So the Commonwealth is nearly 90% as big as the old Empire, and there appear to be new applicants on the way.

Meanwhile, Russia has an area of 17 million square kilometres, which is a 22% drop from the glory days of the Soviet Union. And nations aren't exactly lining up outside Putin's office begging for the chance to join.

I don't want to get all sentimental and wave the Red, White and Blue, but it is hard not to feel that we must have done something right. Not all the time, but once in a while. :)
The Commonwealth is a very loose association of nations that compete in the Commonwealth Games, have occasional summits and other events. Some Commonwealth countries don't even have the Queen as head of state and some were never in the British Empire. That doesn't mean the Commonwealth is a bad thing, it's a benevolent organisation which brings people together. But it's a weak force on in the global power game and arguably Britain itself is a weak force within the Commonwealth.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on August 23, 2022, 08:30:21 PM
So what is the value of what these non-blue countries are buying from, and selling to Russia...?

I think that's a very good question. The areas seem to be South and Latin America, Africa and the Arab world.

I'm not sure what their trading relationships with Putin and his pals are ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 23, 2022, 07:13:41 PM
The Wiki map of sanctions.
Bottom line anything which is not blue, is not imposing sanctions.
The vast majority of the world including Commonwealth countries are not.
This is not what I'd call stats, but anyway. The Russian economy at street level is on its knees, I am working with a guy from St Petersburg ATM and he has told me the shelves are almost empty. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

So what is the value of what these non-blue countries are buying from, and selling to Russia...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sampanviking

The Wiki map of sanctions.
Bottom line anything which is not blue, is not imposing sanctions.
The vast majority of the world including Commonwealth countries are not.

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 23, 2022, 04:59:44 PM
Buts its not the British Empire and the vase majority of Commonwealth Member States are not implementing Western Sanctions on Russia but looking to increase purchases from it instead.
Obviously you're going to produce stats to show that aren't you!

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on August 23, 2022, 02:23:07 PM
And still 25% of the worlds countries / a third of the worlds population, which I'm guessing is a lot bigger than the days of the old empire.  But it's not what it was 😂

EDIT

The British empire had a peak population of 531 million, the commonwealth as of now has a population of 2.4 billion. I take it back, it's not what it was 😆
Buts its not the British Empire and the vase majority of Commonwealth Member States are not implementing Western Sanctions on Russia but looking to increase purchases from it instead.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on August 23, 2022, 02:17:19 PM
Interestingly enough, the Commonwealth has an area of 30 million square kilometres, compared to that of the British Empire which peaked at 34 million square kilometres,

So the Commonwealth is nearly 90% as big as the old Empire, and there appear to be new applicants on the way.

Meanwhile, Russia has an area of 17 million square kilometres, which is a 22% drop from the glory days of the Soviet Union. And nations aren't exactly lining up outside Putin's office begging for the chance to join.

I don't want to get all sentimental and wave the Red, White and Blue, but it is hard not to feel that we must have done something right. Not all the time, but once in a while. :)
And still 25% of the worlds countries / a third of the worlds population, which I'm guessing is a lot bigger than the days of the old empire.  But it's not what it was 😂

EDIT

The British empire had a peak population of 531 million, the commonwealth as of now has a population of 2.4 billion. I take it back, it's not what it was 😆 

Borchester

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 23, 2022, 02:05:40 PM
I'm glad to learn that Jack is alright, which I guess is the most important thing.

Since the extra cost is such a piffling trifle, maybe you would be happy to pick up mine for me?

Not really Sam.

When you come that cheap, it is hard to see what you have to offer
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 23, 2022, 03:49:17 AM
The British Empire is far from gone, it's just called the Commonwealth now like the games changed it's name. It still encompasses a third of the worlds population and 2 more countries just joined, so it's actually actually expanding.

As for how the Brits are received world wide, 99% of the time we are liked, excluding by the French and let's face it we all come together to hate the French.

Algerie Francais !

Sampanviking

Quote from: Borchester on August 23, 2022, 02:46:28 AM
You would betray the Ukraine for a pound or two off your shopping bill Sam?

By God you come cheap.
I'm glad to learn that Jack is alright, which I guess is the most important thing.

Since the extra cost is such a piffling trifle, maybe you would be happy to pick up mine for me?

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 23, 2022, 12:20:15 AM
That don't like it up em!

Trouble is Borkie The British Empire is gone and the US Empire is rapidly following it into the dustbin of history.
Its no longer good enough to operate the "Do what we say, not what we do", school of diplomacy.
Its still an Invasion when we do it, just the same as anybody else, and lets face it, we have invaded more countries than pretty much every other country currently in existence combined.
Which makes your stance as ridiculous as it is hypocritical and which is why outside of the G7 and a few sycophants, the rest of the world treat us like an unfunny joke.
So I say to you, Feck the Ukraine, give it back to Russia and lets have cheap food, oil and gas again.
The British Empire is far from gone, it's just called the Commonwealth now like the games changed it's name. It still encompasses a third of the worlds population and 2 more countries just joined, so it's actually actually expanding. 

As for how the Brits are received world wide, 99% of the time we are liked, excluding by the French and let's face it we all come together to hate the French. 

Borchester

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 23, 2022, 12:20:15 AM
So I say to you, Feck the Ukraine, give it back to Russia and lets have cheap food, oil and gas again.

You would betray the Ukraine for a pound or two off your shopping bill Sam?

By God you come cheap.
Algerie Francais !

Sampanviking

Quote from: Borchester on August 22, 2022, 10:03:01 PM
As a general rule, everything that come from Russia, the Ukraine or anywhere outside the M25 should be treated as a lie.

The only certainty is that Russia invaded the Ukraine, should not have done so and needs to be expelled as soon as possible.
That don't like it up em!

Trouble is Borkie The British Empire is gone and the US Empire is rapidly following it into the dustbin of history.
Its no longer good enough to operate the "Do what we say, not what we do", school of diplomacy.
Its still an Invasion when we do it, just the same as anybody else, and lets face it, we have invaded more countries than pretty much every other country currently in existence combined.
Which makes your stance as ridiculous as it is hypocritical and which is why outside of the G7 and a few sycophants, the rest of the world treat us like an unfunny joke.

Borchester

As a general rule, everything that come from Russia, the Ukraine or anywhere outside the M25 should be treated as a lie.

The only certainty is that Russia invaded the Ukraine, should not have done so and needs to be expelled as soon as possible.
Algerie Francais !