Well the bible has had it then

Started by cromwell, August 25, 2022, 10:11:33 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 29, 2022, 05:46:15 PM
the Mersey runs from the Yorkshire moors through Manchester so technically  you could be standing on the side of the Mersey in that city as well . Like all major cities if you dont associate with the halfwits carrying knives you have little chance of being a victim of their gang wars .
Don't think it starts in Yackshire, Stockport maybe but that's Manchester, but Merseyside that PP is on about is a county with only one city, Liverpool.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on August 29, 2022, 03:28:07 PM
That's probably because Liverpool is the only City in Merseyside.
the Mersey runs from the Yorkshire moors through Manchester so technically  you could be standing on the side of the Mersey in that city as well . 
Quote from: Nick on August 29, 2022, 10:18:21 AM
Or move to London and get stabbed by a black youth.
Like all major cities if you dont associate with the halfwits carrying knives you have little chance of being a victim of their gang wars . 

patman post

Really — then the link I posted is wrong...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 29, 2022, 03:22:09 PM
Yep — it does seem that Liverpool probably has proportionally greater recognised White-instigated crime than London...

[highlight]Liverpool is the most dangerous major city in Merseyside[/highlight], and is among the top 10 most dangerous overall out of Merseyside's 39 towns, villages, and cities.
https://crimerate.co.uk/merseyside/liverpool

Pets at Home paedophile and 'Jabba the Hutt' smuggler among crooks jailed this week
These are the criminals from our region who were locked up over the past seven days

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pets-home-paedophile-jabba-hutt-24806736?int_source=taboola&int_medium=display&int_campaign=organic
That's probably because Liverpool is the only City in Merseyside. 

patman post

Yep — it does seem that Liverpool probably has proportionally greater recognised White-instigated crime than London...

Liverpool is the most dangerous major city in Merseyside, and is among the top 10 most dangerous overall out of Merseyside's 39 towns, villages, and cities.
https://crimerate.co.uk/merseyside/liverpool

Pets at Home paedophile and 'Jabba the Hutt' smuggler among crooks jailed this week
These are the criminals from our region who were locked up over the past seven days

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pets-home-paedophile-jabba-hutt-24806736?int_source=taboola&int_medium=display&int_campaign=organic
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 25, 2022, 12:04:19 PM
I guess if anyone still wanted those things, they could always move to Liverpool...
Or move to London and get stabbed by a black youth. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on August 25, 2022, 02:33:18 PM
I guess those who are offended by the idea of trigger warnings might continue to get a bit miffed.

But won't phrases like:
"Contains dipictions of animal cruelty, sexual activity, language that was current at the time, and violence", etc,
be enough, either to suggest caution, or boost interest...?
Fair enough , I tried to make an argument for not having warnings and have failed misserably . I do pretty much ignore such warnings though ,they never seem to get it right anyway and are mostly not required . 

The subject matter ,Huck Finn is a pretty well known book and even for those who havnt had the pleasure of reading it would probably know the jist of it without being guided by people who think they know better . And thats really where I am with it , they dont .

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 25, 2022, 02:16:16 PM
The issue is where does it stop ? Every word , every event ,every situation could offend someone somewhere . The content description could end up longer than the book itself .

Not to mention it takes the suprise , the shock even the being offended away from the reader .  Wouldn't you rather make your own mind up ?
Content warnings are common across many types of media, without issue. 

If someone buys a book and wants zero information on the content they can chose to skip the page, and in doing so make their own mind up. 
Don't believe everything you think.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 25, 2022, 02:16:16 PM
The issue is where does it stop ? Every word , every event ,every situation could offend someone somewhere . The content description could end up longer than the book itself .

Not to mention it takes the suprise , the shock even the being offended away from the reader .  Wouldn't you rather make your own mind up ?
I guess those who are offended by the idea of trigger warnings might continue to get a bit miffed.

But won't phrases like:
"Contains dipictions of animal cruelty, sexual activity, language that was current at the time, and violence", etc,
be enough, either to suggest caution, or boost interest...?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar on August 25, 2022, 12:23:18 PM
Yeah what's the issue with content description?

Nalaar

Yeah what's the issue with content description?
Don't believe everything you think.

patman post

I'm struggling to understand what's wrong with a statement at the start of some articles, books, TV and  radio programmes alerting the audience if it's thought the item contains potentially distressing material...

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on August 25, 2022, 11:11:50 AM
Oh I dunno,murder,violence, incest the loons will ban everything eventually.
I guess if anyone still wanted those things, they could always move to Liverpool...

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 25, 2022, 11:01:18 AM
Universities are supposed to be upholding free speech and the rights to read whatever you like not suppressing it . Dig a bit deeper into that and it will be some jumped up student union nobody being offended on someone elses behalf .

Doesnt bode well for the future education of children if they are going to ban classics for language used of its time . I think the bible might be in the clear though
Oh I dunno,murder,violence, incest the loons will ban everything eventually.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Universities are supposed to be upholding free speech and the rights to read whatever you like not suppressing it . Dig a bit deeper into that and it will be some jumped up student union nobody being offended on someone elses behalf .

Doesnt bode well for the future education of children if they are going to ban classics for language used of its time . I think the bible might be in the clear though