Typical household energy bill to rise to £3,549

Started by Borchester, August 26, 2022, 01:24:20 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on August 28, 2022, 01:47:59 PM
Well it is pertinent in the sense you quoted me yesterday saying buying Russian gas is a way to reduce bills and you said it was a load a nonsense. And when a Brexiteer Tweets the same thing and a user says "What's not to like?" you then become timid in backing up your own opinion.
And of course you don't mention the fact that Barry retorted buying Russian Gas wasn't one of his wants. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

I doubt Russia would sell us anything considering the last I heard we were top of their list for a nice big bomb!

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on August 28, 2022, 01:14:30 PM
Just cause you point to a quote that you think is pertinent doesn't make it so. I wouldn't use Russian gas if it were free.

Well it is pertinent in the sense you quoted me yesterday saying buying Russian gas is a way to reduce bills and you said it was a load a nonsense. And when a Brexiteer Tweets the same thing and a user says "What's not to like?" you then become timid in backing up your own opinion.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on August 28, 2022, 12:22:20 PM
I guess you must like it then... lol
Just cause you point to a quote that you think is pertinent doesn't make it so. I wouldn't use Russian gas if it were free. 

B0ycey

Nick

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2022, 11:23:52 AM
De-escalation is not appeasement. All wars have to end in a negotiated settlement, don't they?

Actually, I'm not that much in favour of the UK buying Russian gas. I'd rather get that fracking restarted and I will personally underwrite damage to a teacup if it falls off a shelf with a <2 tremor.
Yes they do but TBF when you said de-escalate you didn't expand,cessation of hostilities and a fair negotiation recognising both sides and no resumption of gas purchase or ending sanctions unless that happens and no Munich type agreement.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on August 28, 2022, 11:05:11 AM
Like it all apart from appeasement,it doesn't work.
De-escalation is not appeasement. All wars have to end in a negotiated settlement, don't they?

Actually, I'm not that much in favour of the UK buying Russian gas. I'd rather get that fracking restarted and I will personally underwrite damage to a teacup if it falls off a shelf with a <2 tremor.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2022, 10:07:17 AM
David Kurten on Twitter:

✅Scrap 'net-zero' now
✅De-escalate Ukraine conflict
✅End sanctions on Russia
✅Buy Russian gas for winter 2022
✅Re-open coal power stations
✅Re-open gas storage at Rough for 2023
✅Develop our onshore & offshore gas fields for 2025
✅Build 20 small nuclear reactors for 2030

What's not to like?
Like it all apart from appeasement,it doesn't work.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2022, 10:07:17 AM
✅End sanctions on Russia

What's not to like?
@Nick, Barry is asking you a question.

Barry

David Kurten on Twitter:

✅Scrap 'net-zero' now
✅De-escalate Ukraine conflict
✅End sanctions on Russia
✅Re-open coal power stations
✅Re-open gas storage at Rough for 2023
✅Develop our onshore & offshore gas fields for 2025
✅Build 20 small nuclear reactors for 2030

What's not to like?
† The end is nigh †

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2022, 07:37:37 PM
We get 95% of our gas from Norway I believe, we won't be dealing with Russia anytime soon.
The UK get most of their gas from the North Sea actually. But in any case where do you think Germany and the rest of the EU are going to be buying when they aren't Buying Russian Gas? That's right, Norway, Qatar, US, the same markets we are buying. And as it happens, they are already buying from these markets any excess gas now hence why the price of gas on the market is pretty much at record levels right now with no sign of coming down.

I already told you, but it should be obvious anyway, you cannot cut your supply without cutting your demand and keep prices the same. It is true that we didn't really buy from Russia given we didn't have a pipe pumping it down to us, but the EU did and now they are in our market and we are competing with them to buy gas in a scarcity market today.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on August 27, 2022, 07:18:29 PM
Nick, are you aware the UK has like NO GAS STORAGE? The UK might ride out this winter but eventually they are going to have to do what I wrote, not by choice but by necessity. And what I wrote is the only way you can control the price of gas anyway. Handouts just give people more money to buy the scarcity gas. I don't know if you have read Adam Smiths Wealth of Nations, but there is an entire chapter on it about what happens when the government intervene in trying manipulate a market by subsidising it, what happens is they inadvertently increase the price of something. It is one of the reasons why Libertarians, that is those who advocate the Austrian school of economics, actually want no government intervention on anything and to let the market decide. That is to say they don't want regulation, rules, policing, subsidiaries, quotas, nothing. You simply cannot cut supply and keep demand and expect prices to remain the same. If you cut supply, you need to cut demand. That is something the government can do. And it is something they aren't doing. And as I said, unless some gas magically comes out from somewhere to replace Russian gas, the UK is going to have to ration gas anyway. The question is, how high do they want the gas to go up before they ration it? I expect when Labour are in power and have to sort out the mess the Tories left I expect.
We get 95% of our gas from Norway I believe, we won't be dealing with Russia anytime soon.

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2022, 07:01:09 PM
Congratulations, this is about the biggest load of nonsense I've ever seen posted.
Buy Russian gas!!
Pledge that the country will use 30% less energy! Since when has the government controlled when you put your heating on.
Let's turn all street lights off, I have 3 daughters, thanks but no thanks.
Cancelling Christmas Lights?  😳, you need help.
Nick, are you aware the UK has like NO GAS STORAGE? The UK might ride out this winter but eventually they are going to have to do what I wrote, not by choice but by necessity. And what I wrote is the only way you can control the price of gas anyway. Handouts just give people more money to buy the scarcity gas. I don't know if you have read Adam Smiths Wealth of Nations, but there is an entire chapter on it about what happens when the government intervene in trying manipulate a market by subsidising it, what happens is they inadvertently increase the price of something. It is one of the reasons why Libertarians, that is those who advocate the Austrian school of economics, actually want no government intervention on anything and to let the market decide. That is to say they don't want regulation, rules, policing, subsidiaries, quotas, nothing. You simply cannot cut supply and keep demand and expect prices to remain the same. If you cut supply, you need to cut demand. That is something the government can do. And it is something they aren't doing. And as I said, unless some gas magically comes out from somewhere to replace Russian gas, the UK is going to have to ration gas anyway. The question is, how high do they want the gas to go up before they ration it? I expect when Labour are in power and have to sort out the mess the Tories left I expect.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on August 27, 2022, 01:28:09 PM
I want affordable bills if that is what you are asking Nick.

As for whether or not this crisis is the Government's fault, first you need to quote me actually saying that. The quote you quoted me on, is actually explaining that bills, although at an 80% increase now, will almost double again in January.

There are a number of things the government can do to help right now as it happens and one is more handouts if you must know. They could also *cough* buy in Russian gas. But ultimately where they could help people the most in terms of wholesale price is by attempting and pledging to cut our energy usage by 30% at a minimum and preferably 40% by January to counter supply and demand. They could begin with turning streetlights off, cancelling Christmas lights, turning the heating down in government buildings, cold showers in swimming pools, energy saving incentives, whatever they can think of. Bring in rationing, send leaflets to households for energy saving techniques reduce tariffs for energy usage off peak the list goes on. The fact that the government have only copied Labours idea of a windfall tax, a tax at first they didn't want to execute, and only now Zahawi is the first person in government to have a eureka movement saying  that cutting our gas usage might help in cutting our energy bills says it all about this government in my opinion Nick.
Congratulations, this is about the biggest load of nonsense I've ever seen posted. 
Buy Russian gas!!
Pledge that the country will use 30% less energy! Since when has the government controlled when you put your heating on. 
Let's turn all street lights off, I have 3 daughters, thanks but no thanks. 
Cancelling Christmas Lights?  😳, you need help.