Moments.

Started by Nalaar, August 26, 2022, 04:59:02 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

It's often been said that how you spend your day is how you spend your life, and like many clichés, this is true. See if you can absorb this truth, take a moment to think about how you've spent this day so far and of what you have planned next, and recognise that this isn't a dress rehearsal for some future life, this is it, this is the whole show. So whatever you're doing, do it with greater presence of mind.

--------

If you're identified with thought habitually, you are at the mercy of whatever you happen to think about. The analogy I've drawn is it's like the most boring person in the world comes through your front door and takes you hostage. Following you from room to room, telling you the same stories over and over, you can't shut them up, you can't get away from them, and that's their life. You're thinking about the past - what you could have said or should have said - you're thinking about the future -what's going to happen or how's it going to go- and most of the futures you visualise will never happen, yet you obsess over them.
Sam Harris.
Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 27, 2022, 01:01:55 PM
Not mine.
That could be an unfortunate reply were someone mischievously inclined. Butt Kick
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on August 27, 2022, 11:13:12 AM
Learn to watch and wait. Emotions come and go like waves on the shore, so if you can be mindful of them you will understand where they come from and also that they are impermanent, like everything.
Gyalwang Drukpa.

------

We are living in a culture entirely hypnotized by the illusion of time, in which the so-called present moment is felt as nothing but an infinitesimal hairline between as causative past and an absorbingly important future. We have no present. Our consciousness is almost completely preoccupied with memory and expectation. We do not realize that there never was, is, or will be any other experience than present experience. We are therefore out of touch with reality.
Alan Watts.
;D Oh Naalar you'll explode our minds! 

Nalaar

Learn to watch and wait. Emotions come and go like waves on the shore, so if you can be mindful of them you will understand where they come from and also that they are impermanent, like everything.
Gyalwang Drukpa.

------

We are living in a culture entirely hypnotized by the illusion of time, in which the so-called present moment is felt as nothing but an infinitesimal hairline between as causative past and an absorbingly important future. We have no present. Our consciousness is almost completely preoccupied with memory and expectation. We do not realize that there never was, is, or will be any other experience than present experience. We are therefore out of touch with reality.
Alan Watts.

Nalaar

An occasional thread in which I will post short statements, dialogues, and stories that I find interesting and worth a moment of someone else's time. Please feel free to engage with such moments, or add your own.

The intent of this thread is not as a basis for conflict/critical discussion.
----

Most people consider emotion -especially negative emotion- as something that happens to them.  Often the culprit is another person, or event out in the world. We might think 'he said something that makes me angry' or 'I'm upset that my car has a flat tyre' but try to view your negative emotions more as a repetitive behaviour, and you are practising them. Anger/Fear/Sadness/Envy are actions of a kind, and you perform them predictably in response to specific stimuli.
Think of how good you are at reacting to the same old things the same old ways. You are a champion at being nearly identical to who you were yesterday, but why not retire, and break the pattern? You can do that at any moment at which you become willing to see your thoughts as thoughts - fleeting appearances in the mind.
You can spend the rest of today becoming angry/frustrated/envious on cue, or you can let these thoughts pass through you.
Sam Harris.