Mrs wants to watch the Queen's funeral live on telly

Started by Barry, September 12, 2022, 03:58:05 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on September 14, 2022, 09:05:59 AM
The license fee is not fit for purpose. It is a poll tax on TV ownership that takes no account of means nor any account of how much, if at all, you choose to watch, read, or listen to the BBC.

Trust in it's current affairs and news output has certainly declined. For a long time elements on the right have doubted it's impartiality. In more recent years many on the left have seem ample examples that cause them to doubt it too.

I agree that an alternative form of funding needs to be introduced to replace the license fee, and whatever this is should have cross party support.

My own suggestion would be a 1% levy - totally ringfenced " - on all basic rate income above the current tax threshold. As a replacement for the license fee. Whether or not there should be opt outs is a complicated issue because the BBC includes radio and websites and not just TV. But a debate can be had about that, I am open-minded on that at the moment.
That still forces everyone to pay for their woke shit

I say those who want their wokery should pay for it. I say that partly because I strongly suspect a service forced to tout for business would soon dump said wokery
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

The link above contains this information:

Donelan is a practising Christian. In 2021 she was reported to be in a relationship with Tom Turner, Head of Commercial at Stronghold Global, a company which supplies government bodies including the Department of Health and Social Care.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 14, 2022, 09:05:59 AM
The license fee is not fit for purpose. It is a poll tax on TV ownership that takes no account of means nor any account of how much, if at all, you choose to watch, read, or listen to the BBC.

Trust in it's current affairs and news output has certainly declined. For a long time elements on the right have doubted it's impartiality. In more recent years many on the left have seem ample examples that cause them to doubt it too.

I agree that an alternative form of funding needs to be introduced to replace the license fee, and whatever this is should have cross party support.

My own suggestion would be a 1% levy - totally ringfenced " - on all basic rate income above the current tax threshold. As a replacement for the license fee. Whether or not there should be opt outs is a complicated issue because the BBC includes radio and websites and not just TV. But a debate can be had about that, I am open-minded on that at the moment.
At the end of the day, you will never see her like again, some people will take that as a bonus and call themselves progressives, while others will know that isn't necessarily a good thing. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 14, 2022, 07:45:38 AMJust my opinion but the whole thing needs a shake up,almost every country has a state broad caster so abolish the licence fee and fund it directly via a cross party method to avoid claims of bias.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Just my opinion but the whole thing needs a shake up,almost every country has a state broad caster so abolish the licence fee and fund it directly via a cross party method to avoid claims of bias.

it really is a mess as per my assumption itv+1 is not live tv so no licence fee needed which is incorrect though if you have a smart tv or dongle you can view without a licence I looked last night and you can watch live itv through the hub.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on September 13, 2022, 09:43:06 PM
I think Nadine Dorries has plans to change the TV licence law. How, I'm not sure since Boris has left the building.
Has not Nadine Dorries also?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2022, 06:51:21 PM
When did they change that.  I paid someone's fine for not having a TV licence or they were going to jail.
You don't go to jail for civil offences, if you get fined by a court and don't pay the fine then that's a criminal offence and then you could go to jail.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Of course, it is in the BBC's interest to make out that people need a licence, even if they do not. I'm not having one.
We do everything legally to make sure we don't break the law. It makes us very selective about the programmes that we watch. Most of the day we listen to the radio, music or actually have silence.

I think Nadine Dorries has plans to change the TV licence law. How, I'm not sure since Boris has left the building.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 13, 2022, 07:24:42 PM
Frankly, I find it amazing that you and others cannot keep up with current laws relating to TV licences. :D
I didn't say I was going to watch it without a licence, of course.

You are right that if I watch terrestrial TV through an aerial as it is broadcast it is against the licencing law. So Cromwell's assertion that watching on ITV+1 is OK is actually wrong.

Although watching on ITV catchup through the Internet is OK which just shows how stupid the TV licence regulations are.

The local nature reserve are going to show the funeral on a big screen, we are members, so that is another option.
My mistake when it said live tv I assumed (wrongly)itv+1 showing something that happened an hour previously wasn't live tv.
Hold my hands up.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2022, 06:51:21 PM
When did they change that.  I paid someone's fine for not having a TV licence or they were going to jail.
Frankly, I find it amazing that you and others cannot keep up with current laws relating to TV licences. :D
I didn't say I was going to watch it without a licence, of course.

You are right that if I watch terrestrial TV through an aerial as it is broadcast it is against the licencing law. So Cromwell's assertion that watching on ITV+1 is OK is actually wrong.

Although watching on ITV catchup through the Internet is OK which just shows how stupid the TV licence regulations are.

The local nature reserve are going to show the funeral on a big screen, we are members, so that is another option.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2022, 06:49:39 PM
That does not matter, it is still illegal not to have a TV licence.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

Why do I need a TV Licence?

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.
The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence under section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.
Section 365 of that Act requires a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The amount of this fee and the ways it can be paid (as a lump sum or in instalments) is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).
Since 1991, the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark 'TV Licensing'. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires the BBC Board to ensure that these arrangements are appropriate, proportionate and efficient.
Legislation on television licensing is available from legislation.gov.uk (opens in a new window).
This is how it is regarded now
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 13, 2022, 06:47:06 PM
No it doesn't.

Watching TV without a license is a civil offence, not a criminal one.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 13, 2022, 06:44:33 PM
Not strictly true,if Baz's missus choose to watch the funeral on itv+1 then it's not live tv I am assuming of course itv will be covering the event.
That does not matter, it is still illegal not to have a TV licence.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

Why do I need a TV Licence?

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.
The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence under section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.
Section 365 of that Act requires a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The amount of this fee and the ways it can be paid (as a lump sum or in instalments) is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).
Since 1991, the BBC, in its role as the relevant licensing authority, has been responsible for collecting and enforcing the TV Licence fee. The BBC contracts companies to do this work under the BBC trade mark 'TV Licensing'. The BBC (and contractors acting on its behalf) must comply with the law in collecting and enforcing the licence fee. The BBC Charter further requires the BBC Board to ensure that these arrangements are appropriate, proportionate and efficient.
Legislation on television licensing is available from legislation.gov.uk (opens in a new window).

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2022, 06:02:09 PM
If you watch terrestrial TV it makes you a criminal.

No it doesn't.

Watching TV without a license is a civil offence, not a criminal one.
Algerie Francais !