Brexit. Good or bad?

Started by srb7677, September 17, 2022, 07:19:18 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2022, 04:44:53 PM
You don't say how much the UK imported from the EU to show either deficit or credit.

So, coming more up to date, although the UK is a net energy importer, its exports to the EU rose to the highest level on record, [because] the UK increased its gas flows from other countries to the bloc after Russia cut energy supplies to Europe.

NOTE: The UK is processing large volumes of liquefied natural gas arriving at its ports from countries such as the US and Qatar. It then regasifies it for export to the EU via subsea pipelines from Bacton in Norfolk to Belgium and the Netherlands.

Data from the Office for National Statistics showed that trade in goods and services' deficit, excluding precious metals, widened by £1.2bn to £27bn in the three months to July compared with the previous quarter, a near-record since comparable data was first collected in 1997.

The UK is a net energy importer and gas prices reached a new high in August, which will probably boost the value of imports further. Exports are also likely to continue to struggle as external demand from key trading partners softens and Brexit trade frictions remain.

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/47fe0d2a-6e87-4f30-8212-3b37f7f099e4

If you follow the links, it does show you, we are still running a huge deficit. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 04:47:46 PM
But all the UK's woes are from Brexit, even though Covid has masked it all.
If Brexit is to blame how do you explain this graph? Where the dip and recovery exactly follows Covid? Total trade is way higher than pre-Covid times.

Cherry picked data, the HMRC data posted earlier show the reality.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 17, 2022, 04:33:10 PM
I didn't know that!
I Googled it and Papa's favoured ONS says exactly that.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/may2022
excellent.
But all the UK's woes are from Brexit, even though Covid has masked it all. 
If Brexit is to blame how do you explain this graph? Where the dip and recovery exactly follows Covid? Total trade is way higher than pre-Covid times. 

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 03:46:46 PM
U.K. exports to the EU reached a 25 year high in April 2022, so how do you hide that away Paps?
You don't say how much the UK imported from the EU to show either deficit or credit.

So, coming more up to date, although the UK is a net energy importer, its exports to the EU rose to the highest level on record, [because] the UK increased its gas flows from other countries to the bloc after Russia cut energy supplies to Europe.

NOTE: The UK is processing large volumes of liquefied natural gas arriving at its ports from countries such as the US and Qatar. It then regasifies it for export to the EU via subsea pipelines from Bacton in Norfolk to Belgium and the Netherlands.

Data from the Office for National Statistics showed that trade in goods and services' deficit, excluding precious metals, widened by £1.2bn to £27bn in the three months to July compared with the previous quarter, a near-record since comparable data was first collected in 1997.

The UK is a net energy importer and gas prices reached a new high in August, which will probably boost the value of imports further. Exports are also likely to continue to struggle as external demand from key trading partners softens and Brexit trade frictions remain.

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/47fe0d2a-6e87-4f30-8212-3b37f7f099e4
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 03:46:46 PM
U.K. exports to the EU reached a 25 year high in April 2022, so how do you hide that away Paps?
I didn't know that!
I Googled it and Papa's favoured ONS says exactly that.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/may2022
excellent.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 01:44:23 PM
From your link. (Thanks, by the way.)

The number of UK businesses exporting goods to the EU fell 33 per cent to 18,357 in 2021, from 27,321 in 2020, according to data from HMRC.
Discussing the figures with City A.M., Michelle Dale, a senior manager at accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young, pointed out the fall is due to the extra red tape UK businesses must now comply with when exporting to the EU.
"Businesses are not getting enough support from the Government to navigate the post-Brexit trading minefield," she said.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 12:21:58 PM
Yes, it is down to Brexit. No other country has the same level of problem.  From crop pickers and processing to abattoir workers and meat processors, to truck drivers the shortages are due to Brexit.
Also, the NHS and care workers.
Nonsense, I've been to 12 different countries this year alone and excluding India the situation is the same everywhere. Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands has massive staff shortages, is that Brexit? The US has 11 million vacancies and only 6.5 million unemployed, is that Brexit. 
As usual you do not support any of your throw away comments. 

https://amp.marca.com/en/lifestyle/us-news/2022/06/02/6298c940268e3e9e298b45aa.html

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2022, 01:58:16 PM
But you'll notice that in pursuance of the government's li(n)e, HMRC tries to downplay the significance of its own figures...
It would do that wouldn't it.

patman post

But you'll notice that in pursuance of the government's li(n)e, HMRC tries to downplay the significance of its own figures...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2022, 01:52:14 PM
But you must recognise that we'll be told that AM harbours some of the most ardent Left Wing anti-UK journalists outside the staff of the Morning Star...
The data is from HMRC.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 01:44:23 PM

The number of UK businesses exporting goods to the EU fell 33 per cent to 18,357 in 2021, from 27,321 in 2020, according to data from HMRC.
Discussing the figures with City A.M., Michelle Dale, a senior manager at accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young, pointed out the fall is due to the extra red tape UK businesses must now comply with when exporting to the EU.
"Businesses are not getting enough support from the Government to navigate the post-Brexit trading minefield," she said.

But you must recognise that we'll be told that AM harbours some of the most ardent Left Wing anti-UK journalists outside the staff of the Morning Star...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2022, 01:41:15 PM
[color=var(--cs-text-headings)]Brexit onslaught deepens as a third of all UK exporters to EU vanish due to red tape knockout
[/color]
https://www.cityam.com/brexit-onslaught-deepens-as-a-third-of-all-uk-firms-exporting-to-eu-simply-vanish-due-to-red-tape-knockout/

HMRC seeks to mitigate its report findings, but the counting appears to demolish the excuses...

Discussing the figures with City A.M., Michelle Dale, a senior manager at accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young, pointed out the fall is due to the extra red tape UK businesses must now comply with when exporting to the EU.
"Businesses are not getting enough support from the Government to navigate the post-Brexit trading minefield," she said.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 12:59:03 PM
You are seriously deluded. Brexit is a disaster that is getting worse as time passes.
[color=var(--cs-text-headings)]Brexit onslaught deepens as a third of all UK exporters to EU vanish due to red tape knockout
[/color]
https://www.cityam.com/brexit-onslaught-deepens-as-a-third-of-all-uk-firms-exporting-to-eu-simply-vanish-due-to-red-tape-knockout/

HMRC seeks to mitigate its report findings, but the counting appears to demolish the excuses...

[highlight]PS — don't understand the quirky layout on this post, but strange things are happening on here [/highlight]

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 17, 2022, 01:03:22 PM
He is also not to be taken seriously.

Almost all his posts are an attempt to take the piss out of Brexiteers by posting ridiculous statements designed to mimic them in a mocking way.
Frankly given the increasing disaster Brexit has been and is getting worse where I live, I consider him to be a Troll.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 12:59:03 PM
You are seriously deluded. Brexit is a disaster that is getting worse as time passes.
He is also not to be taken seriously.

Almost all his posts are an attempt to take the piss out of Brexiteers by posting ridiculous statements designed to mimic them in a mocking way.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.